Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Old May 18th 11, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

Default Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
(instead of the recommended 32).
The ride comfort improved noticeably.
So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
gives a bumpier ride on this car.

It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
they are over pressurized,
so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
imperfections.

Any thoughts or similar experience?
Old May 18th 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:32:27 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
wrote:

>Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>(instead of the recommended 32).
>The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>
>It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>they are over pressurized,
>so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>imperfections.
>
>Any thoughts or similar experience?

How many miles on the car? Maybe the shocks are worn out.
Old May 18th 11, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

On May 18, 10:08*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:32:27 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
> wrote:
>
> >Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> >(instead of the recommended 32).
> >The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> >So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> >tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> >gives a bumpier ride on this car.

> >It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> >they are over pressurized,
> >so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> >imperfections.

> >Any thoughts or similar experience?

> How many miles on the car? *Maybe the shocks are worn out.

40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?
Old May 18th 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 18, 7:46*am, Dan > wrote:
> On May 18, 10:08*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:32:27 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
> > wrote:

> > >Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> > >(instead of the recommended 32).
> > >The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> > >So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> > >tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> > >gives a bumpier ride on this car.

> > >It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> > >they are over pressurized,
> > >so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> > >imperfections.

> > >Any thoughts or similar experience?

> > How many miles on the car? *Maybe the shocks are worn out.

> 40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?

If they are KYBs, it's *entirely* possible. I don't have a whole lot
of experience w/ Japanese cars though. (I've had the same experience
with Sachs/Boge replacements for an old VW - replaced original shocks
at something like 110K miles; 20K miles later I had to replace them
again... GRR...)

nate
Old May 18th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

wrote:

>Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>(instead of the recommended 32).
>The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>
>It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>they are over pressurized,
>so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>imperfections.
>
>Any thoughts or similar experience?

How sure are you of the accuracy of the tire gauge? Maybe you should
just the tires at 28. It could also be the tires. Some are stiffer
than others and have a harsher ride.
Old May 18th 11, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 18 May 2011 05:29:06 -0700, N8N wrote:

> On May 18, 7:46*am, Dan > wrote:
>> On May 18, 10:08*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:

>> > How many miles on the car? *Maybe the shocks are worn out.

>> 40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?

> If they are KYBs, it's *entirely* possible. I don't have a whole lot
> of experience w/ Japanese cars though. (I've had the same experience
> with Sachs/Boge replacements for an old VW - replaced original shocks
> at something like 110K miles; 20K miles later I had to replace them
> again... GRR...)
>
> nate

Wow. KYBs used to be fantastic. I put them on a 1974 Corolla 1200 and was
amazed! I put them on my "Hachiroku" and was amazed! I put them on one of
my other cars and was...let down big time! (I think it's the Mazda I'm
driving now).

So, when it was time to buy new shocks for the Supra, Bilsteins or Konis
were first choice, but wound up going with Tokico (OEM supplier) because
the Bs and the Ks were just too damn expensive!

Tokico is the OEM supplier for Toyota, and I have had original shocks go
to 100,000 miles!

Old May 18th 11, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On May 17, 11:32*pm, Dan > wrote:
> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> (instead of the recommended 32).

I'd see if it has 'low rolling resistance' tires... they can be
somewhat harsh.
HTH,
Ben
Old May 18th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Dan" > wrote in message 40k miles. Is it possible shocks
are bad at that mileage?
****
Absolutely

Old May 19th 11, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/18/2011 10:14 AM, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 05:29:06 -0700, N8N wrote:

>>> 40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?

>> If they are KYBs, it's *entirely* possible. I don't have a whole lot
>> of experience w/ Japanese cars though. (I've had the same experience
>> with Sachs/Boge replacements for an old VW - replaced original shocks
>> at something like 110K miles; 20K miles later I had to replace them
>> again... GRR...)
>>
>> nate

> Wow. KYBs used to be fantastic. I put them on a 1974 Corolla 1200 and was
> amazed! I put them on my "Hachiroku" and was amazed! I put them on one of
> my other cars and was...let down big time! (I think it's the Mazda I'm
> driving now).
>
> So, when it was time to buy new shocks for the Supra, Bilsteins or Konis
> were first choice, but wound up going with Tokico (OEM supplier) because
> the Bs and the Ks were just too damn expensive!
>
> Tokico is the OEM supplier for Toyota, and I have had original shocks go
> to 100,000 miles!

I dunno, PO of my 944 put KYBs on the rear shortly before I bought the
car and they started clanking w/in a year or two. Not long after that I
had occasion to borrow my then-landlady's Nissan pickup and I made some
offhand comment about how it felt underdamped - here her ex-husband (pro
wrench) had just put on new shocks - KYBs. (whoops... next time I'll
just shut up.) So I'm not a big fan, although that is a sample size of
two. The Bilsteins that replaced the KYBs on the Porsche were still
going strong when I sold it just a few months ago.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 19th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On May 18, 2:32*am, Dan > wrote:
> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> (instead of the recommended 32).
> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>
> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> they are over pressurized,
> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> imperfections.
>
> Any thoughts or similar experience?

Tire pressure is surely going to matter. Ties matter more than shocks
in general. More like bouncy ride with shocks. Most tires today are
stiffer. Tires with higher speed ratings have stiffer side walls. Make
a huge difference in ride.

Greg