hard shifting on 2000 Grand Caravan

Old September 23rd 04, 03:34 AM
charl

Default hard shifting on 2000 Grand Caravan

Hey all,

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.0l engine) with about 67,000 miles on
it. It has been 'bumping down' on occaision when I come to a stop but just
today it 'bumps' each time it shifts up and/or down. Also, the engine light
has popped on since these symptoms started today.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I check the engine error codes without a diagnostic tool? If so,
how?

2. What's up with the trans? From my on-line investigation it looks as
tho' the chrysler ultra-drive has had a lot of gripes.

Thanks,

chuck

Old September 24th 04, 04:32 AM
Big Poppa Pump

Had a similar problem on my 2000 GC. It was the input speed sensor and cost
30$, unless of course you take it to the dealer and let them check it then
your upto about 145$. As for checking codes you need an OBDII scanner and
these will set you back 100$-250$
link.net...

Old September 24th 04, 04:32 AM
Big Poppa Pump

Had a similar problem on my 2000 GC. It was the input speed sensor and cost
30$, unless of course you take it to the dealer and let them check it then
your upto about 145$. As for checking codes you need an OBDII scanner and
these will set you back 100$-250$
link.net...

Old September 25th 04, 04:52 AM
charl

Big Poppa Pump wins the prize.

My research on line led me to believe you could check the codes by holding
the trip and reset buttons on the odometer while turning the ignition.

Doesn't work.

Took it to the shop, they checked the pcodes and P0715....Input Speed
Sensor. $20 in parts, $130 in labor and diagnostic (Why do they charge so
much to plug in a cable?) The extended warranty will reimburse all but $50
bucks and the tax. Got lucky this time!

I'd go ahead and buy the scan tool, but the the next day OBD-III would come
out.

Thanks,

chuck

Old September 25th 04, 04:52 AM
charl

Old October 15th 04, 10:41 PM
Snydley

You used to be able to read the codes by turning the ignition switch : ON -
OFF - ON - OFF - ON and leaving it on the 3rd time. The check engine light
will flash a number of times. It will flash the first digit of a 2 digit
number, pause, then flash the second digit. Count them and there is a chart
that explains the codes.

link.net...

Old October 15th 04, 10:41 PM
Snydley

You used to be able to read the codes by turning the ignition switch : ON -
OFF - ON - OFF - ON and leaving it on the 3rd time. The check engine light
will flash a number of times. It will flash the first digit of a 2 digit
number, pause, then flash the second digit. Count them and there is a chart
that explains the codes.

link.net...