94 Intrepid 3.5L spark plugs - aarghhh

Old October 26th 04, 06:46 AM
Hmmm...

Default 94 Intrepid 3.5L spark plugs - aarghhh

A couple silicone rubber boots stuck to the plugs when I pulled the plug
wires out. What a pain to dig them out. Now there are 2 connections that
do not have these silicone boots that fit directly over the plugs. The
protective boots on top of the plug hole are still intact. Will there be a
problem if I use the 2 wires that no longer have the silicone boots?
Thanks.

Old October 26th 04, 04:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Hmmm... wrote:

> A couple silicone rubber boots stuck to the plugs when I pulled the plug
> wires out. What a pain to dig them out. Now there are 2 connections
> that do not have these silicone boots that fit directly over the plugs.
> The protective boots on top of the plug hole are still intact. Will
> there be a problem if I use the 2 wires that no longer have the silicone
> boots?

Yes; the first time you drive on a wet day, your engine is very likely to
start misfiring on those cylinders. Go ahead and replace the plug wires;
they're probably overdue by now.
Old October 26th 04, 04:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 26th 04, 05:57 PM
Steve

Hmmm... wrote:

> A couple silicone rubber boots stuck to the plugs when I pulled the plug
> wires out. What a pain to dig them out. Now there are 2 connections that
> do not have these silicone boots that fit directly over the plugs. The
> protective boots on top of the plug hole are still intact. Will there be a
> problem if I use the 2 wires that no longer have the silicone boots?
> Thanks.

It'll probably arc from the bare wire to the metal tube that the plug
sits in, causing a misfire. Get new plug wires.
Old October 26th 04, 05:57 PM
Steve

Old October 28th 04, 12:34 AM
Hmmm...

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
. umich.edu...
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Hmmm... wrote:
>
> > A couple silicone rubber boots stuck to the plugs when I pulled the plug
> > wires out. What a pain to dig them out. Now there are 2 connections
> > that do not have these silicone boots that fit directly over the plugs.
> > The protective boots on top of the plug hole are still intact. Will
> > there be a problem if I use the 2 wires that no longer have the silicone
> > boots?

> Yes; the first time you drive on a wet day, your engine is very likely to
> start misfiring on those cylinders. Go ahead and replace the plug wires;
> they're probably overdue by now.

Would you recommend spraying some silicone on the plug or the rubber boot to
prevent sticking to the spark plug?

Old October 28th 04, 12:34 AM
Hmmm...

Old October 28th 04, 01:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Hmmm... wrote:

> Would you recommend spraying some silicone on the plug or the rubber
> boot to prevent sticking to the spark plug?

Yeah, that or -- better -- some dielectric silicone grease.
Old October 28th 04, 01:16 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 28th 04, 03:02 AM
Richard

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Hmmm... wrote:
>
>> Would you recommend spraying some silicone on the plug or the rubber
>> boot to prevent sticking to the spark plug?

> Yeah, that or -- better -- some dielectric silicone grease.

Just twisting and pulling instead of just pulling often saves the day. I
learned this the hard way on my Cruiser.

Richard.