GM OBD1 and no O2 codes?

Old May 22nd 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

Default GM OBD1 and no O2 codes? Solution= temporary

In article om>,
Mike Romain > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> I meant pulling either plug wire would kill both. If that's not the
> >> case, then they're not wired as Steve said.

> > Steve's description was accurate.
> >
> > My only exception to what he wrote is in regards to whether a DIS system
> > has the capability to detect power of waste firings...
> > Saturn has used such a system since the mid 90s.

> I still don't get it....
>
> On mine, plug #3 had no spark period, yet the other tower on the same
> coil, #6 was sparking just fine?
>
> Then when I hooked 'both' #6 and #3 to post #6, I got spark showing at
> both plugs... Post #3 was left open.
>
> It did run worse like that though, under load....

The problem with the coil was located very close to the #3 secondary
terminal.
When the magnetic field collapsed in the primary, high voltage was still
generated in the secondary windings, assume that the #6 terminal is the
negative side and the #3 is the positive side... Since there was a much
greater voltage potential at the #6 terminal than there existed in the
cylinder head, voltage flowed as it was supposed to.

It would be wrong to assume that there -has- to be a completed circuit
with respect to the entire secondary loop as described by Steve, there
only has to be enough -electrical potential- between #6 terminal and the
cylinder head.

Had the coil secondary failed near(er) to the #6 terminal, both
cylinders would have been dead.
Old May 23rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Steve Austin wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>> aarcuda69062 wrote:

>>> Steve's description was accurate.
>>>
>>> My only exception to what he wrote is in regards to whether a DIS
>>> system has the capability to detect power of waste firings...
>>> Saturn has used such a system since the mid 90s.

>> I still don't get it....
>>
>> On mine, plug #3 had no spark period, yet the other tower on the same
>> coil, #6 was sparking just fine?
>>
>> Then when I hooked 'both' #6 and #3 to post #6, I got spark showing at
>> both plugs... Post #3 was left open.
>>
>> It did run worse like that though, under load....
>>

> Mike-
> When you hooked up both wires to the same coil tower, the spark could
> fire either plug. It wouldn't fire both at the same time. It would fire
> the easiest plug. That would be the waste plug. It takes far less
> voltage to jump the waste plug than the compression plug.

That would appear to be exactly what happened. It fired under no load,
but messed up under load.

Man what a scam, 3 coils to replace now at $60.00 each instead of one or
even the new ones with one coil per cylinder!

Mike