GM Passlock Problems

Old December 30th 04, 04:21 PM
Ed Obermeier

Default GM Passlock Problems

I'm new to this group so maybe this is an old question, I apologize if
it's been dealt with before but I'm in a quandry. We have a 2000
Escalade (basically a slightly fancier Yukon) that is throwing us fits
with the anti theft system. It will lock out the fuel pump circuit for
no aparent reason, once it sits for a day or two it will usually start
again.

We've had the Passlock module in the steering column replaced (ours has
the Passlock 2 system), initally that solved the problem and for about
two weeks no more problem. Now it's doing it again, we're afraid to
drive it anywhere because we never know where we'll be stranded. We
try all of the resets (disconnect the battery, cycle the locks three
times with the remote etc) but nothing obvious seems to reset it.
There are no indicator lights on the dash to tell us anything (the
"Security" light goes out after 5 seconds like it's supposed to).

I spoke with the service manager at the local GM dealership who tells
me that the Escalades, Denali's, and TrailBlazers are all having the
same problems (all have the same chassis and wiring harness according
to him) and that GM has engineers working on it but so far no fix. I
was just wondering if anyone in this group had any answers. Any
information or help you could offer would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Thank you, Ed

Old December 30th 04, 07:23 PM
Ed Obermeier

BTW we've had the fuel pump checked and it's OK.

Old December 31st 04, 03:12 AM
Bob Urz

Ed Obermeier wrote:
> BTW we've had the fuel pump checked and it's OK.

Aftermarket passlock bypass module maybe?
Usually used for aftermarket security systems.

Bob
Old December 31st 04, 04:16 PM
Ed Obermeier

Thank you for the replies, the information is sincerely apreciated. I
don't really know about the "engineers working on it" thing, I had my
local and regular mechanic (independent shop) do the inital work, they
got the OEM parts from the local GM dealership and the info I was given
is 3rd party from the mechanic who did the work. How much of it as on
the money I have no good idea. I bought the truck used 2 years ago so
warranty isn't an issue.

This morning I took the truck to another GM dealer. They scanned it
and it showed an anti-theft system code indicating there was something
going on with the anti-theft system (codes were cleared when the
initial work was done). The Service manager stated that there are two
parts to the Passlock stuff in the steering column, the "case" which I
guess contains the key receptacle etc, and the "sensor". He stated
that both have to be replaced together, they "read" each other and
replacing one without replacing the other sometimes they don't read
correctly.

Called the mechanic who did the initial work, he said he'd only
replaced the "case" and not the sensor. I'm having the sensor replaced
Monday, hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll post what I find
as soon as I know something.

FWIW the couple of times the anti-theft has locked up on me since I had
the case replaced I had unlocked the drivers door with a key rather
than the remote. Don't know if that makes any difference (shouldn't)
but I wonder if that is what is tripping the anti-theft system, taking
into condideration that the sensor wasn't replaced. Might not be
"reading" the unlocking event correctly? Once I get the damn thing to
run I haven't been locking it, I'm now playing with locking/unlocking
with the remote to see if that screws it up or not. I'll post
information as I get it.

Thanks aagain, Ed

Old April 10th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
brcidd

I have bypassed two or three of these complaint vehicles with total
success- Since I install remote starters- knowing how to bypass these
is a snap- many times it is just a variable potentiometer- to dial in
the needed resistance- works every time- I just inform the owner that
his vehicle no longer has Passlock protection- he gives me a big hug
and says Thank You......

--
brcidd
brcidd's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=356995