GM Loose serpentine belt

Old August 12th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Barry Minchey

Default GM Loose serpentine belt

I have a 1989 GMC Safari with 4.3L engine. My serpentine belt runs
from my tensioner to my alternator, down to power steering pump, up to
water pump, down to crankshaft, up to A/C compressor. Van was making
noise. I noticed that the tensioner is at maximum deflection (straight
down). I removed the belt and inspected that no pulleys were loose.
Belt is in good shape. I have heard the accessory bracket can crack,
but I don't see any cracks. It seems that the most likely part to have
moved is the power steering pump. Could that bracket have bent? Any
thoughts? I'm stumped.

Barry
Old August 12th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Aug 12, 10:13 am, (Barry Minchey) wrote:
> I have a 1989 GMC Safari with 4.3L engine. My serpentine belt runs
> from my tensioner to my alternator, down to power steering pump, up to
> water pump, down to crankshaft, up to A/C compressor. Van was making
> noise. I noticed that the tensioner is at maximum deflection (straight
> down). I removed the belt and inspected that no pulleys were loose.
> Belt is in good shape. I have heard the accessory bracket can crack,
> but I don't see any cracks. It seems that the most likely part to have
> moved is the power steering pump. Could that bracket have bent? Any
> thoughts? I'm stumped.
>
> Barry

Wrong belt. (to long)
Belt installed wrong.
Tensioner bad.

Old August 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Barry Minchey

belt wasn't too long when I installed it
It was installed correctly and has been driven 6 months
Tensioner is not bad because it is trying to take out the slack but
has to go to its max displacement to do so

Old August 12th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Aug 12, 12:27 pm, (Barry Minchey) wrote:
> belt wasn't too long when I installed it
> It was installed correctly and has been driven 6 months
> Tensioner is not bad because it is trying to take out the slack but
> has to go to its max displacement to do so
>
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:42:52 -0700, dahpater >
> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 12, 10:13 am, (Barry Minchey) wrote:
> >> I have a 1989 GMC Safari with 4.3L engine. My serpentine belt runs
> >> from my tensioner to my alternator, down to power steering pump, up to
> >> water pump, down to crankshaft, up to A/C compressor. Van was making
> >> noise. I noticed that the tensioner is at maximum deflection (straight
> >> down). I removed the belt and inspected that no pulleys were loose.
> >> Belt is in good shape. I have heard the accessory bracket can crack,
> >> but I don't see any cracks. It seems that the most likely part to have
> >> moved is the power steering pump. Could that bracket have bent? Any
> >> thoughts? I'm stumped.

> >> Barry

> >Wrong belt. (to long)
> >Belt installed wrong.
> >Tensioner bad.- Hide quoted text -

If everything is fine, your belt was/is to long.

Old August 12th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
2001jettavr6[_2_]

i agreen get a different belt

--
2001jettavr6
2001jettavr6's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=527726

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 13th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Barry Minchey" > wrote in message
> belt wasn't too long when I installed it
> It was installed correctly and has been driven 6 months
> Tensioner is not bad because it is trying to take out the slack but
> has to go to its max displacement to do so

I have seen some aftermarket belts, which are supposed to be exact
replacements, be too long or too short. And, not all aftermarket belts
may be of equal quality to the OEM. Maybe your belt has stretched?

Last, I had a heck of a problem with belts on a GM Fiero after a
factory recall. Seems the dealership mechanics cut some corners,
did not reassemble the pulley and tensioning system correctly after
the engine work was completed. It was a continuous problem with
belt slippage, etc, until I got it up on a rack, assessed the problems
which the mechanics had caused, and refitted and adjusted everything
correctly.

Old August 13th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Aug 12, 10:13 am, (Barry Minchey) wrote:
> I have a 1989 GMC Safari with 4.3L engine. My serpentine belt runs
> from my tensioner to my alternator, down to power steering pump, up to
> water pump, down to crankshaft, up to A/C compressor. Van was making
> noise. I noticed that the tensioner is at maximum deflection (straight
> down). I removed the belt and inspected that no pulleys were loose.
> Belt is in good shape. I have heard the accessory bracket can crack,
> but I don't see any cracks. It seems that the most likely part to have
> moved is the power steering pump. Could that bracket have bent? Any
> thoughts? I'm stumped.
>
> Barry

Check to see that all the components spun by the drive belt are
tightened down.

serpentine belt ('87 YJ) bobvonbob Jeep 16 September 7th 06 02:37 PM
Serpentine Belt Help DM Ford Mustang 2 June 1st 06 10:14 PM
Serpentine belt replacement with *newest design* belt? Lawrence Glickman Technology 12 February 5th 06 11:19 PM
Serpentine Belt goes bad too soon. Sam Nickaby Technology 43 December 10th 05 04:49 AM
Serpentine Belt goes bad too soon. Sam Nickaby BMW 43 December 10th 05 04:49 AM