GM OBD1 and no O2 codes?

Old May 19th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default GM OBD1 and no O2 codes?

Steve Austin wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> Then you really WILL blow your muffler off.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> well... not if it is a waste spark ignition system and he connects the
>> wire to the other cylinder in that pair.
>>
>> Keep in mind that this is assuming a whole lot of stuff about this
>> particular car that I don't know for sure.
>>
>> nate
>>

> Only one plug at a time will fire then. I gotta agree with
> scott

Ok... If each coil sends two sparks at once and one spark is 'wasted',
then why can't I make a new connection to the post to replace the one
that failed?

I would be 'basically' putting a T fitting on #6 plug wire to fire #3 on
the 'waste' spark. Actually I think I will jumper the plug wire ends at
the coil under the boots with a spare chunk of plug wire trimmed at the
ends. If it doesn't backfire or shoot sparks all over creation, then #3
should get the spark on it's compression stroke right?

Other than that I will just unplug that injector and drive easy. It
'did' make it down here the 250 km for our supply run running on 5
cylinders.... I can find a coil at my destination tomorrow or sometime
in the next few weeks when I need the car again.

Mike
Old May 19th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default GM OBD1 and no O2 codes? Solution= temporary

Mike Romain wrote:
> Steve Austin wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> well... not if it is a waste spark ignition system and he connects
>>> the wire to the other cylinder in that pair.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that this is assuming a whole lot of stuff about this
>>> particular car that I don't know for sure.
>>>
>>> nate
>>>

>> Only one plug at a time will fire then. I gotta agree with
>> scott

> Ok... If each coil sends two sparks at once and one spark is 'wasted',
> then why can't I make a new connection to the post to replace the one
> that failed?
>
> I would be 'basically' putting a T fitting on #6 plug wire to fire #3 on
> the 'waste' spark. Actually I think I will jumper the plug wire ends at
> the coil under the boots with a spare chunk of plug wire trimmed at the
> ends. If it doesn't backfire or shoot sparks all over creation, then #3
> should get the spark on it's compression stroke right?
>
> Other than that I will just unplug that injector and drive easy. It
> 'did' make it down here the 250 km for our supply run running on 5
> cylinders.... I can find a coil at my destination tomorrow or sometime
> in the next few weeks when I need the car again.
>
> Mike

Well folks I know for sure this engine runs just fine with the coil post
for #6 cylinder going to the #3 spark plug because it was that way when
I got it. If anyone remembers, my firing order was seriously messed up
but it ran nice. The previous owner had fun with the waste spark firing
order....

Sooo... I hotwired an old plug wire to the post under the boot for #6
and just plugged it's end into the clip under the boot for the #3 plug
and away it runs. The miss is gone and my timing light show fire on
both 3 and 6 no problem.

Thanks all for the ideas, later...

Mike
Old May 19th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 19, 12:57*pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
> > Steve Austin wrote:

> >> Only one plug at a time will fire then. *I gotta agree with
> >> scott

> > Ok... *If each coil sends two sparks at once and one spark is 'wasted',
> > then why can't I make a new connection to the post to replace the one
> > that failed?

> > I would be 'basically' putting a T fitting on #6 plug wire to fire #3 on
> > the 'waste' spark. *Actually I think I will jumper the plug wire ends at
> > the coil under the boots with a spare chunk of plug wire trimmed at the
> > ends. *If it doesn't backfire or shoot sparks all over creation, then #3
> > should get the spark on it's compression stroke right?

> > Other than that I will just unplug that injector and drive easy. *It
> > 'did' make it down here the 250 km for our supply run running on 5
> > cylinders.... *I can find a coil at my destination tomorrow or sometime
> > in the next few weeks when I need the car again.

> > Mike

> Well folks I know for sure this engine runs just fine with the coil post
> for #6 cylinder going to the #3 spark plug because it was that way when
> I got it. *If anyone remembers, my firing order was seriously messed up
> but it ran nice. *The previous owner had fun with the waste spark firing
> order....
>
> Sooo... *I hotwired an old plug wire to the post under the boot for #6
> and just plugged it's end into the clip under the boot for the #3 plug
> and away it runs. *The miss is gone and my timing light show fire on
> both 3 and 6 no problem.
>
> Thanks all for the ideas, later...
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

I didn't know if it would actually work like that or not... I'd still
fix it right ASAP

nate
Old May 19th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

N8N wrote:
> On May 19, 12:57 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>> Ok... If each coil sends two sparks at once and one spark is 'wasted',
>>> then why can't I make a new connection to the post to replace the one
>>> that failed?
>>> I would be 'basically' putting a T fitting on #6 plug wire to fire #3 on
>>> the 'waste' spark. Actually I think I will jumper the plug wire ends at
>>> the coil under the boots with a spare chunk of plug wire trimmed at the
>>> ends. If it doesn't backfire or shoot sparks all over creation, then #3
>>> should get the spark on it's compression stroke right?
>>> Other than that I will just unplug that injector and drive easy. It
>>> 'did' make it down here the 250 km for our supply run running on 5
>>> cylinders.... I can find a coil at my destination tomorrow or sometime
>>> in the next few weeks when I need the car again.
>>> Mike

>> Well folks I know for sure this engine runs just fine with the coil post
>> for #6 cylinder going to the #3 spark plug because it was that way when
>> I got it. If anyone remembers, my firing order was seriously messed up
>> but it ran nice. The previous owner had fun with the waste spark firing
>> order....
>>
>> Sooo... I hotwired an old plug wire to the post under the boot for #6
>> and just plugged it's end into the clip under the boot for the #3 plug
>> and away it runs. The miss is gone and my timing light show fire on
>> both 3 and 6 no problem.
>>
>> Thanks all for the ideas, later...
>>
>> Mike- Hide quoted text -

> I didn't know if it would actually work like that or not... I'd still
> fix it right ASAP
>
> nate

It will be OK BUT I would replace that coil pack ASAP. The extra load of
the second plug won't do it any good. The coil packs are basically two
coils wound with a common ground and two taps. What has happened is one
side has opened and caused the coil to fail.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Old May 21st 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Steve Austin wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> N8N wrote:

>>> I didn't know if it would actually work like that or not... I'd still
>>> fix it right ASAP
>>>
>>> nate

>> It will be OK BUT I would replace that coil pack ASAP. The extra load
>> of the second plug won't do it any good. The coil packs are basically
>> two coils wound with a common ground and two taps. What has happened
>> is one side has opened and caused the coil to fail.
>>

> The coil packs have no secondary ground. They fire in a loop thru both
> plugs and ground. One plug fires negative and the other positive. One
> of Mikes 3/6 coil towers must be grounded though -- through the icm. Not
> a pretty thought.

Our vacation got cut short/delayed, the place we were staying at had the
main building totally closed for a serious environmental mold clean up
with a dry ice blast job. Total zuit suit and respirator territory.
The washroom was 'supposed' to be OK, but mold got found there too so
the whole place is down for a week. Oh well, next week...

Well, it did 'kinda' work. It ran OK at low speeds but started missing
worse at speed under load so I stopped and just ran #6 cylinder normal
with the injector to #3 unplugged. It ran best that way.

I think the spark might have been leaking out under load, but it is moot
now, we got a new coil for the drive back and it purrs again with 32 mpg.

I do not understand the GM waste spark system well.

When I got this car, the plug wires were seriously mix up on the coils,
yet it ran beautifully and passed emissions with low numbers.

I did put new wires on and put them in the right order. It still runs
sweet.

If the coils alternated the positive and negative power to make a block
ground path for each spark, shouldn't one way run best?

Just curious because it might have even gotten a couple mpg 'better'
when the wires were reversed? Or does it just not matter and only one
power pulse comes through the harness to each coil so one cylinder fires
a 'positive' spark and the other a 'negative' direction spark.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old May 22nd 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

Steve Austin wrote:

> The coils fire from tower to tower. ...
> they fire in a loop, from one coil tower -
> thru the plug wire - thru the plug - thru the head - thru the other plug
> - thru the other coil wire - and back to the coil to the other tower ...

So you're saying that the plugs are in series? And the head/block
'floats' wrt to the secondary? That means that pulling the wire from one
plug would kill both cylinders. Are you sure about that?
Old May 22nd 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"M.M." > wrote:

> Steve Austin wrote:
>
> > The coils fire from tower to tower. ...
> > they fire in a loop, from one coil tower -
> > thru the plug wire - thru the plug - thru the head - thru the other plug
> > - thru the other coil wire - and back to the coil to the other tower ...

> So you're saying that the plugs are in series? And the head/block
> 'floats' wrt to the secondary? That means that pulling the wire from one
> plug would kill both cylinders. Are you sure about that?

You can kill both cylinders if you pull the correct wire, but not
necessarily either wire.
Old May 22nd 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article >,
> "M.M." > wrote:
>
>> Steve Austin wrote:
>>
>>> The coils fire from tower to tower. ...
>>> they fire in a loop, from one coil tower -
>>> thru the plug wire - thru the plug - thru the head - thru the other plug
>>> - thru the other coil wire - and back to the coil to the other tower ...

>> So you're saying that the plugs are in series? And the head/block
>> 'floats' wrt to the secondary? That means that pulling the wire from one
>> plug would kill both cylinders. Are you sure about that?

> You can kill both cylinders if you pull the correct wire, but not
> necessarily either wire.

I meant pulling either plug wire would kill both. If that's not the
case, then they're not wired as Steve said.
Old May 22nd 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"M.M." > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> So you're saying that the plugs are in series? And the head/block
> >> 'floats' wrt to the secondary? That means that pulling the wire from one
> >> plug would kill both cylinders. Are you sure about that?

> > You can kill both cylinders if you pull the correct wire, but not
> > necessarily either wire.

> I meant pulling either plug wire would kill both. If that's not the
> case, then they're not wired as Steve said.

Steve's description was accurate.

My only exception to what he wrote is in regards to whether a DIS system
has the capability to detect power of waste firings...
Saturn has used such a system since the mid 90s.
Old May 22nd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article >,
> "M.M." > wrote:
>
>> aarcuda69062 wrote:

>>> You can kill both cylinders if you pull the correct wire, but not
>>> necessarily either wire.

>> I meant pulling either plug wire would kill both. If that's not the
>> case, then they're not wired as Steve said.

> Steve's description was accurate.
>
> My only exception to what he wrote is in regards to whether a DIS system
> has the capability to detect power of waste firings...
> Saturn has used such a system since the mid 90s.

I still don't get it....

On mine, plug #3 had no spark period, yet the other tower on the same
coil, #6 was sparking just fine?

Then when I hooked 'both' #6 and #3 to post #6, I got spark showing at
both plugs... Post #3 was left open.

It did run worse like that though, under load....