Squeaking Belts on C5

Old April 20th 05, 10:51 PM
Stephen Horrillo

Default Squeaking Belts on C5

I was getting a chirping sound under the car, especially when the engine was
cold. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the "Tensioners." They
wanted to replace the belts (2 belts?). Being that the belts were'nt covered
I told them to try replacing just the Tensioners. The was no squeaking for a
fews day but now it's coming back slightly. Do you think that replacing the
belts would stop the noise?

--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
For MLS & Computer Training: http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
Realtors Earn Over 100% at EXIT: http://www.over100percent.com
Old April 20th 05, 11:30 PM
RicSeyler

Very well could. If they have been squeaking or squealing they could be
glazed
from the friction and never be able to get a good grip on the pulleys.

Just one of those things you have to try.. (read, spend money) LOL :-)

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old April 21st 05, 12:55 AM
sbright

Take a look at the crank pulley. Mine was "wobley". Not covered under
warr. either probably, so replace the belts first.
They cost $25/ea roughly.

-Stan

. ..

Old April 22nd 05, 08:40 PM
C5Guy

My car was sqweeking a while ago and it turned out to be the alternator (I
think you call it a generator in the USA) pully....just needed a quick spray
of lube and the silence was golden

Old April 23rd 05, 02:49 AM

On 20-Apr-2005, RicSeyler > wrote:

> Very well could. If they have been squeaking or squealing they could be
> glazed
> from the friction and never be able to get a good grip on the pulleys.
>
> Just one of those things you have to try.. (read, spend money) LOL :-)

It's not squealing like the belt is slipping. It's sounds more like a
cricket. They told me the belts were still good but they couldn't guarantee
the sound would stop if I didn't buy new belts. Like I said, it was silent
for a few days. I'ts much less now and goes away when the engine warms up.

--
All the best,

Stephen Horrillo
Realtors Earn Over 100% http://www.over100percent.com
MLS Training go to http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
Old April 23rd 05, 02:51 AM

On 20-Apr-2005, "sbright" > wrote:

> Take a look at the crank pulley. Mine was "wobley". Not covered under
> warr. either probably, so replace the belts first.
> They cost $25/ea roughly.
>
> -Stan

They wanted to charge me around $75 each (2 Belts) plus installation.

Old April 23rd 05, 02:52 AM

On 20-Apr-2005, "sbright" > wrote:

> Take a look at the crank pulley. Mine was "wobley". Not covered under
> warr. either probably, so replace the belts first.
> They cost $25/ea roughly.
>
> -Stan

Did you ever have anything done about it?

Old April 23rd 05, 06:08 AM
FastFreddie

I had a similar problem when my 99 Vete was about 2 years old. The dealer
said that the alternator was bad, and it was replaced under factory warranty.
I bet the actual problem was only the pulley as was mentioned.

Fast Freddy
Old April 23rd 05, 11:54 AM
sbright

Take your car to the gas station around the corner and make friends with the
mechanic. Or better yet learn to do it yourself. Replacing belts is such a
piece of cake that you'll be mad at yourself if you pay somebody $50 for the
labor to do it. (Esp when there are 2 involved). Most of the time it's just
the first belt that I've heard people complain about. Don't hear much about
the a/c belt squeaking-chirping-whatever.

-Stan

Old April 25th 05, 04:44 PM
RicSeyler

I know what your describing, just one of those dang frustrating things
you have to throw money at til it's gone. arrrgh hehehehe
Are their any tiny cracks alone the grooves on the pulley side of the belt?
If you can get it to bend in the opposite direction from how it runs you
might
be able to see them if they are there. If they show, at least you won't
be totally
wasting money to try and replace the belt.