Durango engine trouble

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24th 05, 05:39 PM
TBone

"Peter" > wrote in message
> > 99 Durango 5.9L has started behaving really weird. It starts up more or
> > less fine (have to crank it more than usual), and will idle fine. When I
> > floor it under load RPMs won't go over 2-3K, it starts coughing, and

idles
> > very roughly, then stalls (but sometimes will recover to smooth idle). I
> > hooked up ODB scantool, and all sensors seem to be in working order.
> > Whenever it starts stalling oxy sensor shows lean mix, and ignition
> > advance fluctuates wildly between 10-25 degrees. No error codes. I even
> > reset PCM by disconnecting battery - no joy.
> >
> > I'm thinking ignition trouble... had all wires, distributor cap and coil
> > replaced recently with Accel hi-perf components... could it have

something
> > to do with this???

> You guys were all wrong
>
> It was the coil
>
> No air bubbles in fuel as far as I can tell ) Fuel pump is fine, too.
>
> Swapped back OEM coil, and it runs as new. I also measured primary
> resistance on both coils, about 22Ohms on both... dunno how can I measure
> secondary winding. My idle is just a tad rough now - which was the reason
> why I 'upgraded' to Accel in the first place.
>
> Now, I wonder how on earth can faulty coil account for smooth idle at

first,
> then spluttering/missing during acceleration, and finally settle down to
> very rough idle? My only guess would be cross-induction caused by higher
> voltage... there actually is TSB out for 99 Durango covering ignition

wires
> cross-induction. When I swapped back the original coil voltage went down

and
> cross-induction stoppped. If so, why did it run just fine with Accel for
> several months???

A temperature sensitive connection (inside or outside) of the coil could
cause this. There could be a problem with the Accel coils internal
connections or one of it's external connections could have been corroded or
loose. If it was an external connection, your swapping it with the
origional would have cleaned that up and if it is internal, the coil is
defective. When you increase RPM's of the engine, you increase the current
flow which will heat up an improper or corroded connection and cause it to
lose some or all of its ability to conduct and the coil output voltage will
drop considerably if not fail completely and will stay this way until they
cool down again.