Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager

Old March 12th 05, 05:55 AM
Ken Peterson

Default Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager

Some time this spring I'd like to pop some new spark plugs in my
wife's '98 3.0 V6 Voyager (Vger). This one has the Mitsubishi engine.

When I got the car two years back, it had 66K miles on it and when I
replaced the plugs, they looked like the originals, they were that
bad. (Never have I seen such bady worn plugs!) I replaced those plugs
with Bosch Platinum plugs (regular plats, not the 2s or the 4s) The
Vger now has about 75K on the clock.

From personal experience in other cars and also from reading on the
'net, the original Bosch Platinums may not be the best plugs when one
is looking for a long-lasting plug.

What do people recommend? The Bosch Platinum+4s? Bosch Platinum 2s?
Autolite Platinums? Denso Iridiums?

I don't mind spending more if the plugs are long-lasting premium
plugs. The Vger is only driven about 4K a year around town, so these
very well may be the last plugs I put in the car.
Old March 12th 05, 06:18 AM
Bob Shuman

I know that the original equipment on my 1991 Mitsubishi 3.0L were NGK plugs
which were rated for 60K miles. I've had very good luck with the NGK plugs,
but they are a bit expensive. Even so, shop around for them since price
varied considerably.

Bob

Old March 12th 05, 05:45 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:

> Some time this spring I'd like to pop some new spark plugs in my
> wife's '98 3.0 V6 Voyager (Vger). This one has the Mitsubishi engine.

NGK. Regulars are fine, Iridiums are VERY long lasting and commensurately
expensive.

> Bosch Platinum

Junk.

> the original Bosch Platinums may not be the best plugs

Neither are their latest scams, the Platinum+4 and Platinum+2.

Old March 13th 05, 12:31 AM
Ken Peterson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:45:50 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I see that NGK has a variety of plugs for this
engine:

Standard $2.25
V-Power $2.50
G-Power Platinum $3
Iridium IX $7
Laser Platinum $12

Any opinion on Autolite double-platinums? I like the idea of a
plat-to-plat airgap and the autolites are half the price of the NGK
laser plats.

Old March 13th 05, 01:30 AM
Richard

"Ken Peterson" <zebra @ optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:45:50 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
> Thanks for the advice. I see that NGK has a variety of plugs for this
> engine:
>
> Standard $2.25
> V-Power $2.50
> G-Power Platinum $3
> Iridium IX $7
> Laser Platinum $12
>
> Any opinion on Autolite double-platinums? I like the idea of a
> plat-to-plat airgap and the autolites are half the price of the NGK
> laser plats.
>
>>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Some time this spring I'd like to pop some new spark plugs in my
>>> wife's '98 3.0 V6 Voyager (Vger). This one has the Mitsubishi engine.

>>NGK. Regulars are fine, Iridiums are VERY long lasting and commensurately
>>expensive.
>>
>>> Bosch Platinum

>>Junk.
>>
>>> the original Bosch Platinums may not be the best plugs

>>Neither are their latest scams, the Platinum+4 and Platinum+2.

Autolite double-platinum's are a superb plug. I have had great experience
with them in two Chrysler Town & Countries and a PT Cruiser (for which they
are OEM approved) and a 98 RAV4.

Richard.

Old March 13th 05, 01:55 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I see that NGK has a variety of plugs for this
> engine:
>
> Standard $2.25
> V-Power $2.50
> G-Power Platinum $3
> Iridium IX $7
> Laser Platinum $12
>
> Any opinion on Autolite double-platinums?

Certainly not a bad plug. I ran Autolites exclusively until I mostly
changed to NGKs, but I'm still happy to run Autolites. I will not run
Champions or Bosches (too many problems!).
Old March 13th 05, 02:24 AM
Ken Peterson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:55:44 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

Thank you Richard & Daniel for your inputs!

Looks like I'll have to order the plugs via the 'net as those do not
appear to be available in Long Island, NY, unless some performance
shop carries them.

I figure the Autolite double-plats should do nicely and might last a
few years (considering the 4-5K a year that's put on the clock).

The Iridium plugs only have an iridium core, not the ground electode,
so while the iridium center electrode may last a lifetime, not the
ground, so no good for that.

I haven't run Champions in years. Never really liked them, except I
did use them back in the early 70's on a '64 Buick Skylark 300 cu in
V8 I had.

A tip of the hat, gents!

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the advice. I see that NGK has a variety of plugs for this
>> engine:
>>
>> Standard $2.25
>> V-Power $2.50
>> G-Power Platinum $3
>> Iridium IX $7
>> Laser Platinum $12
>>
>> Any opinion on Autolite double-platinums?

>Certainly not a bad plug. I ran Autolites exclusively until I mostly
>changed to NGKs, but I'm still happy to run Autolites. I will not run
>Champions or Bosches (too many problems!).

Old March 13th 05, 10:58 AM
HarryS

I buy the OEM Champion the cheapest plugs for all my vehicles and change
them out at each 30K. The truth to be known there is no proof that a more
expensive plug provides better performance whether it be a platinum , or
split fire, or any other type. See for yourself write each manufacturer and
ask them to provide a guarantee and if you are lucky to get an answer you
will find they will not provide one and they will provide many excuses.

--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 13th 05, 12:25 PM
jdoe

Put in what it came with in the first place. The mits is hard on plugs
it's
a known fact. Either way the mfgr. spends WAY more time and money than we
do
to figure out what will give the best balance of performance. Bosch plats
are all junk imo. anyway.
Larry

Old March 13th 05, 02:48 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, jdoe wrote:

> Put in what it came with in the first place. The mits is hard on plugs
> it's a known fact

The Mitsubishi engine is not "hard on plugs" anywhere except in your
imaginative little mind.

> Either way the mfgr. spends WAY more time and money than we do to figure
> out what will give the best balance of performance.

The manufacturer spends time and money negotiating for the lowest-priced
plug that will do the job acceptably.

> Bosch plats are all junk imo. anyway.

Well, there y'go -- you got one out of three statements correct in your
post.

Better luck next time.

98 Passport spark plugs JC- Honda 1 March 10th 05 05:01 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
Mystery spark plugs in 2002 stratus Alan Wedin Dodge 8 June 19th 04 02:29 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 04:45 AM