Locked into second gear

Old August 11th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default Locked into second gear

Greetings!
About 3-4 weeks ago while driving home I shifted from third to second
gear and the gear shift immediately went, for want of a better word,
limp. No grinding, no lurch, it just went into second and won't come
out. The clutch will depress and apperas to be operative, but the gear
shifter does not seem to be linked to anything anymore. This is a 1996
SL1 sedan, with about 100,000 miles on it. I've been told by various
people over the phone it could be anything from a stripped gear, to a
bad transmission, to just needing clutch fluid. Unfortunately, I can't
locate the clutch fluid dipstick, so if anyone could point me to that,
I'd appreciate it. Any ideas/comments as to what maybe wrong?

Old August 12th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:21:47 GMT, Steve B. > wrote:

> Last I heard Saturn
>only sells the whole shift linkage for some crazy price

I would not be surprized as GM tries to milk out maximum profit.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 12th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings!
> About 3-4 weeks ago while driving home I shifted from third to second
> gear and the gear shift immediately went, for want of a better word,
> limp. No grinding, no lurch, it just went into second and won't come
> out. The clutch will depress and apperas to be operative, but the gear
> shifter does not seem to be linked to anything anymore. This is a 1996
> SL1 sedan, with about 100,000 miles on it. I've been told by various
> people over the phone it could be anything from a stripped gear, to a
> bad transmission, to just needing clutch fluid. Unfortunately, I can't
> locate the clutch fluid dipstick, so if anyone could point me to that,
> I'd appreciate it. Any ideas/comments as to what maybe wrong?

Google is your friend. It finds 51 threads from just this newsgroup.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?lnk=h....makers.saturn

You can also search here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/search.php

Good luck

Old August 12th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
psued0m

Actually, about 6-7 months ago I did have to have that clip replaced.
I was shifting from 4th to 5th, heard a grinding noise, and then
couldn't shift into 2nd, 4th or reverse. I could shift into 1st, 3rd
and 5th with no problems. So it sounds like it's this problem
recurring?

Old August 13th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago!
STUPID LINKAGE!
Problem was the "front-back" attachment point. The plastic cap that
kept
the shifting rod/cable fitting in place snapped off. (WHIMPY piece of
Engineering!!!)
I used a large folder clip (essential huge paperclip) to hold the thing
in place.
No problems since then!!!
-WaV

Old September 4th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
psued0m

Turns out it was the shifter cables. Had the dealer replace them, and
haven't had a problem since htne....(knock on simulated wood panelling)

Old September 4th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
danielr

psued0m wrote:
> Turns out it was the shifter cables. Had the dealer replace them, and
> haven't had a problem since htne....(knock on simulated wood panelling)
>
> wavy wrote:
> > Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago!
> > STUPID LINKAGE!
> > Problem was the "front-back" attachment point. The plastic cap that
> > kept
> > the shifting rod/cable fitting in place snapped off. (WHIMPY piece of
> > Engineering!!!)
> > I used a large folder clip (essential huge paperclip) to hold the thing
> > in place.
> > No problems since then!!!
> > -WaV
> >
> > psued0m wrote:
> > > Actually, about 6-7 months ago I did have to have that clip replaced.
> > > I was shifting from 4th to 5th, heard a grinding noise, and then
> > > couldn't shift into 2nd, 4th or reverse. I could shift into 1st, 3rd
> > > and 5th with no problems. So it sounds like it's this problem
> > > recurring?

Just few questions:
What year is your Saturn?
Model? SOHC?
If the dealer replaced the linkage; how much "did it hurt"?

thanks.

daniel r.

AWA [OFFER] <Stock clearance sale for UD nissan genuine parts!!!> [email protected] General 1 February 24th 16 02:34 PM
Gear Ratios Dad Corvette 5 March 25th 06 07:23 PM
How to remove/reinstall crankshaft timing gear Ryan Underwood Technology 12 August 8th 05 08:57 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 03:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 12:57 PM