Accord 98 doesn't start after weekends

Old September 5th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Homer[_2_]

Default Accord 98 doesn't start after weekends

Hi All,

My Honda Accord EX 98 doesn't start after sitting for one day in my
driveway.
Engine starts everyday no matter how cold or warm is the day and
battery is pretty good.
The only problem is if I don't start the engine for one (or more)
days (after weekends mostly).
I tested holding the gas pedal all the way down and it had no effect.
Also I put injector cleaner multiple times in gas tank and had no
effect either.

I learned that if I turn key off and crank and off and crank has a
better result than just holding it cranking. Time to time I need to get
boost from my wife's car if engine doesn't start at all.

Please help.

Thanks,

Homer

Old September 6th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Homer" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi All,
>
> My Honda Accord EX 98 doesn't start after sitting for one day in my
> driveway.
> Engine starts everyday no matter how cold or warm is the day and
> battery is pretty good.
> The only problem is if I don't start the engine for one (or more)
> days (after weekends mostly).
> I tested holding the gas pedal all the way down and it had no effect.
> Also I put injector cleaner multiple times in gas tank and had no
> effect either.
>
> I learned that if I turn key off and crank and off and crank has a
> better result than just holding it cranking. Time to time I need to
> get boost from my wife's car if engine doesn't start at all.

"Won't start" HOW?

Turns over but won't cough or sputter?
Coughs, sputters, but won't run?
Starter won't turn?

Your last sentence sounds like the latter. If so, you've got a
parasitic drain somewhere. Got any aftermarket add-ons like remote
starter, alarm, stereo equipment, etc?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 6th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Homer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My Honda Accord EX 98 doesn't start after sitting for one day in my
> driveway.
> Engine starts everyday no matter how cold or warm is the day and
> battery is pretty good.
> The only problem is if I don't start the engine for one (or more)
> days (after weekends mostly).
> I tested holding the gas pedal all the way down and it had no effect.
> Also I put injector cleaner multiple times in gas tank and had no
> effect either.
>
> I learned that if I turn key off and crank and off and crank has a
> better result than just holding it cranking. Time to time I need to get
> boost from my wife's car if engine doesn't start at all.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Homer

-----------------------------------

It sounds like you need a new battery, and there's still a dribbling
injector flooding the engine. When it eventually does start, is there a
puff of black smoke and lots of sputtering?

When you held the pedal to the floor, how long did you crank it?

'Curly'
Old September 6th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
HondaDylan

It just doesn't want you to go to work. Don't you know anything?

--
HondaDylan
HondaDylan's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=472259

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 6th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Homer[_2_]

(Turns over but won't cough or sputter) is the answer.
If I just keep trying for 3 minutes (that some times kills my battery
and I need a boost) it will start to cough and engine will start. After
that If I push the gas pedal down and release it engine stops again and
it will take my another 1 minutes to get it to run. so when the engine
runs I hold the pedal a little bit down and won't let it go for 1
minute. After one minute everything will be fine. I can turn it off and
right back on. and it's fine for another week.

And I have remote starter, alarm and stereo equipment (mp3 player).
There is no black smoke after engine starts to run or smell of gas (or
as least I haven't seen it).

Is it hard to replace injectors? how much are they?

Thanks,

Homer

Old September 6th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> Homer wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My Honda Accord EX 98 doesn't start after sitting for one day in my
>> driveway.
>> Engine starts everyday no matter how cold or warm is the day and
>> battery is pretty good.
>> The only problem is if I don't start the engine for one (or more)
>> days (after weekends mostly).
>> I tested holding the gas pedal all the way down and it had no effect.
>> Also I put injector cleaner multiple times in gas tank and had no
>> effect either.
>>
>> I learned that if I turn key off and crank and off and crank has a
>> better result than just holding it cranking. Time to time I need to get
>> boost from my wife's car if engine doesn't start at all.
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Homer

> -----------------------------------
>
> It sounds like you need a new battery, and there's still a dribbling
> injector flooding the engine. When it eventually does start, is there a
> puff of black smoke and lots of sputtering?
>
> When you held the pedal to the floor, how long did you crank it?
>
> 'Curly'

make sure old donuts, plastic toys, etc., are removed from under the gas
pedal too - it needs to register "wot", wide open throttle. unless it's
hard on the floor, wot won't register and it won't start.
Old September 6th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Homer wrote:

> (Turns over but won't cough or sputter) is the answer.
> If I just keep trying for 3 minutes (that some times kills my battery
> and I need a boost) it will start to cough and engine will start. After
> that If I push the gas pedal down and release it engine stops again and
> it will take my another 1 minutes to get it to run. so when the engine
> runs I hold the pedal a little bit down and won't let it go for 1
> minute. After one minute everything will be fine. I can turn it off and
> right back on. and it's fine for another week.
>
> And I have remote starter, alarm and stereo equipment (mp3 player).
> There is no black smoke after engine starts to run or smell of gas (or
> as least I haven't seen it).
>
> Is it hard to replace injectors? how much are they?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Homer

-------------------------------------

Next Monday, turn the key to position II. Did the fuel pump run for two
seconds? If not, smack the dash on the left side and listen. If the fuel
pump ran, you need to resolder the MAIN RELAY. You can fool the car into
starting by smacking the dash, (or slamming the driver's door), but
fixing the relay would be the right fix.

SEARCH honda main relay on Google.

Could it be your car is exactly the wrong temperature on Monday
mornings? The main relay is subject to temperature sensitivity because
of the bad solder joints.

'Curly'