Checking belt alignment

Old April 9th 14, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

Default Checking belt alignment

On 4/8/2014 1:45 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 4/8/2014 9:00 AM, wrote:
>>> Its just embarrassing for my wife. She has to turn the air off when
>>> the car is going slow like through a drive through. Also, when
>>> starting it for the first time in a parking lot or something.
>>>

> If it is making the noise on initial start up as well it likely isn't
> the A/C pump.
>
> Here's a test. Unplug the A/C clutch power so the clutch can't engage.
> Does it still make noise on initial start up?

It's not all that complicated. This should be easy to diagnose. The
accessories with worn bearing do not make a rattling noise. The water
pump will make a tinkly kind of sound. The alternator makes sort of a
growling sounds as will the idle and tensioner pulleys. It's obviously
not the power steering pump. I'm quite familiar with a noisy compressor.
All one has to do is turn on the AC and listen for it. There's no need
to disconnect anything. I'm assuming that he has checked everything else
but the pump.

Old April 9th 14, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:35:34 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>It's not all that complicated. This should be easy to diagnose. The
>accessories with worn bearing do not make a rattling noise.

Huh?

> The water
>pump will make a tinkly kind of sound.

Huh again? Are you talking about the one bad water pump you've heard
in your life?

> The alternator makes sort of a
>growling sounds as will the idle and tensioner pulleys. It's obviously
>not the power steering pump. I'm quite familiar with a noisy compressor.
>All one has to do is turn on the AC and listen for it. There's no need
>to disconnect anything. I'm assuming that he has checked everything else
>but the pump.

I'm really starting to wonder if you're trolling.
Old April 9th 14, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

wrote:

>> >Its just embarrassing for my wife. She has to turn the air off when the car is going slow like through a drive through. Also, when starting it for the first time in a parking lot or something.

>> The compressor puts strain additional strain on all the belt pulleys.
>>
>> The most likely "rattling" source is the tensioner.
>>
>> But I had a water pump that mimicked a rod knock.
>>
>> It was a relief to get the stethoscope on it.
>>
>> BTW, you couldn't give me a rebuilt compressor.
>>
>> Went through 2 with my last car in short order before I bought a new
>>
>> one. The labor time and refrigerant aren't justified by the price
>>
>> difference. Just my experience.

>I will say even after replacing the tensioner when the compressor turns on you can visually see the tensioner vibrate back and forth a lot more than when the compressor is off.
>
>Are rebuilt power steering pumps ok?

You know, I don't want to be argumentative, but you seem to be
ignoring all the good advice you got so far. It's just not that
complicated. Get a stethoscope, use a piece of heater hose, or vacuum
line, and listen for the noise. And what is the noise on startup? A
loud squealing noise? If so, the belt is slipping. It's either too
loose, or there's an unusual load on it. If the belt is too loose,
it's either the wrong belt, or the tensioner is bad. In fact,
tensioners have marks on them with a pointer that needs to fall
between the marks when the belt is installed. Did you look for that?

If you get a loud squealing on acceleration, it's possible the AC head
pressure is going too high, which would usually indicate a bad coolant
fan.

Regardless of all this, didn't you say the alternator feels rough? Do
you have any idea how common it is for those bearings to fail? This is
what you need the stethoscope for - they're like 5 bucks or something.
If the alternator is bad, it's going to be really obvious.

Why are you talking about replacing steering pumps, compressors,
clutch bearings, when all those seem to be the least likely problem
areas?
Old April 9th 14, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 4/8/2014 4:14 PM, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:35:34 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> It's not all that complicated. This should be easy to diagnose. The
>> accessories with worn bearing do not make a rattling noise.

> Huh?
>
>> The water
>> pump will make a tinkly kind of sound.

> Huh again? Are you talking about the one bad water pump you've heard
> in your life?
>
>> The alternator makes sort of a
>> growling sounds as will the idle and tensioner pulleys. It's obviously
>> not the power steering pump. I'm quite familiar with a noisy compressor.
>> All one has to do is turn on the AC and listen for it. There's no need
>> to disconnect anything. I'm assuming that he has checked everything else
>> but the pump.

> I'm really starting to wonder if you're trolling.

Let's keep this on a non-personal level. A real troll just loves to make
personal remarks.
Old April 9th 14, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I was talking about replacing the power steering pump because the fluid is black and there is a slight vibration at idle on the steering wheel and a slight whine heard at idle.