Premium fuel - production car - required?

Old April 15th 14, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Premium fuel - production car - required?

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:41:42 -0400, WrongWayWade
> wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>>On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 08:36:52 -0400, WrongWayWade >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'm considering buying a car where the manufacturer recommends premium
>>>fuel. The car has an 11:1 compression ratio. A salesman told me I could
>>>use regular gas without a problem; I would just sacrifice a small part of
>>>the full horsepower potential of the car. But it wouldn't ping or cause
>>>any other problems.
>>>
>>>Was the salesman just trying to make a sale? I thought if you don't use
>>>premium when you're supposed to, you get pre-ignition/pinging which is NOT
>>>good for the engine.
>>>
>>>Where I live the octane of the gas is 87 regualar, 89 silver, 93 premium.
>>>(Using the mid-grade was also something I was considering).
>>>
>>>Any comments?
>>>

>>A lot of new cars these days come with an owners manual. You might
>>look in the glove box for one. It will tell you in there whether you
>>MUST burn premium or not.

>Unsure how the smarminess is necessary here. Notice I said I was
>CONSIDERING a new car (i.e. no access to the glove compartment or owner's
>manual) and that I already KNOW the manufacturer recommends premium fuel.
>That wasn't the question. Thanks to the people that actually had answers.

Pardon me your highness. It took me all of 3 minutes to find this.
Based on your comments I assumed you were looking for a high
performance civic. Tells you exactly the kind of info you want to know
right there in the OWNERS MANUAL. Don't use anything lower then 87. If
you want best performance use 91 or higher.

From page 332 of the Honda Civic Manual
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...D/R0142DOM.pdf
2.4L engine models
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking
noise in the
engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine
damage.