Recommended oil - where's the 5W30 number?

Old April 4th 14, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rebecca Webb

Default Recommended oil - where's the 5W30 number?

Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend. Is
that all I need to tell the lube joint operator? What about a kinematic
viscosity number like 5W30 or 10W20? Can I find that on the door of the
car or under the hood somewhere? Or will the mechanic know best based
on location and season?
Old April 4th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Rebecca Webb > wrote:
>Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
>Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend. Is
>that all I need to tell the lube joint operator? What about a kinematic
>viscosity number like 5W30 or 10W20? Can I find that on the door of the
>car or under the hood somewhere? Or will the mechanic know best based
>on location and season?

Congratulations, you have just become the recipient of GM's new attempt
at establishing proprietary standards.

If an oil meets the Dexos 1 specification, it is a 5W30 oil with a certain
set of characteristics that may or may not be similar to anything in the
API standards.

There are a number of commercial synthetic and synthetic-blend oils that
meet or exceed the GM standard, you don't actually have to use the genuine
AC Delco product.

My inclination would be to buy the stuff and take it to the lube shop with
you because I have a great distrust for the folks who run those things and
I worry about them pumping generic oils into vehicles whose owners have paid
extra for fancy lubricants. But that might just be me. As long as it says
Dexos 1 on the bottle it'll be fine.
--scott

Old April 5th 14, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Rebecca Webb > wrote in :

> Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
> Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend.

A quick Google found this:
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle...tic-motor-oil/

Note that there are two viscosities, each with its own
part number. Do you find either part number in your
documentation?

As for under the hood, check the sticker on the underside
of the hood, and check the oil filler cap. Either may
specify a viscosity.

--
Tegger
Old April 5th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tegger > wrote:
>Rebecca Webb > wrote in :
>
>> Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
>> Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend.

>A quick Google found this:
>http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle...tic-motor-oil/
>
>Note that there are two viscosities, each with its own
>part number. Do you find either part number in your
>documentation?

I thought one was "dexos 1" and the other was "dexos 2" for the two
viscosities?
--scott
Old April 5th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

> I thought one was "dexos 1" and the other was "dexos 2" for the two
> viscosities?

Did you actually read the page I linked?

--
Tegger
Old April 5th 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Rebecca Webb wrote:
> Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
> Recommended for my 2012 Impala ..... Can I find that on the door of the
> car or under the hood somewhere?

it's usually on the oil fill cap on GM cars

GW

Old April 5th 14, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tegger > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

>> I thought one was "dexos 1" and the other was "dexos 2" for the two
>> viscosities?

>Did you actually read the page I linked?

No, I don't have web access, I'm on a uucp link.
--scott
Old April 5th 14, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> Rebecca Webb > wrote in :
>
>> Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
>> Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend.

> A quick Google found this:
> http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle...tic-motor-oil/
>
> Note that there are two viscosities, each with its own
> part number. Do you find either part number in your
> documentation?
>
> As for under the hood, check the sticker on the underside
> of the hood, and check the oil filler cap. Either may
> specify a viscosity.

Has to be listed someplace. dexos 1(gas engines) dexos 2(diesels) are
simply a standard the oil must meet. Many companies make oils that meet
the standards.
GM/AC Delco oils are all made by ExxonMobil and have been since 1990.
They signed an agreement in 2010 that extends them out to 2015 as the
supplier to GM and the dealer network.

Federal law prohibits GM from requiring Dexos motor oils (IE: you cannot
be required to use GM branded oils only) to maintain their warranty and
your owners manual specifically states “dexos licensed or equivalent”
products should be used. Many motor oils available have paid royalties
to GM for licensing of their products and others have not. For the most
part, Dexos is full synthetic motor oil and many other oils meet or
exceed their standards.

Dexos 1
http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands
0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30

Dexos 2
http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos2-brands
5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

--
Steve W.
Old April 5th 14, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Tegger > wrote:
>> Rebecca Webb > wrote in :
>>
>>> Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling.
>>> Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend.

>> A quick Google found this:
>> http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle...tic-motor-oil/
>>
>> Note that there are two viscosities, each with its own
>> part number. Do you find either part number in your
>> documentation?

> I thought one was "dexos 1" and the other was "dexos 2" for the two
> viscosities?
> --scott

dexos 1 is gas engine spec. dexos 2 is diesel engine spec.
Both are available in various viscosities.

--
Steve W.