Checking belt alignment

Old April 7th 14, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Checking belt alignment

I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).

I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)

Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.

The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.

Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.

Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

As always I appreciate it!
Old April 7th 14, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Villa

On Monday, April 7, 2014 7:18:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).
>

> I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)
>

> Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.
>

> The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.
>

> Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.
>

> Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.
>

> As always I appreciate it!

The 2 most likely culprits would be the idler (undriven pulley) and the belt-tensioner). Please note: I'm a weekend mechanic and no expert!
You can usually see the tensioner vibrate when it's bad!
Old April 7th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Monday, April 7, 2014 7:28:56 AM UTC-5, Bob Villa wrote:
> On Monday, April 7, 2014 7:18:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).

> > I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)

> > Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.

> > The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.

> > Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.

> > Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

> > As always I appreciate it!

> The 2 most likely culprits would be the idler (undriven pulley) and the belt-tensioner). Please note: I'm a weekend mechanic and no expert!
>
> You can usually see the tensioner vibrate when it's bad!

I replaced both of those this weekend.
Old April 7th 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am
> looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the
> serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive
> tool).
>
> I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it
> is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)
>
> Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem
> is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four
> cylinder, so it is hard to get to.
>
> The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac
> is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went
> away. However it came back.
>
> Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again
> it is hard to look at.
>
> Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play.
> I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am
> not sure if this is normal or not.
>
> As always I appreciate it!

The way most vehicles are built now there is not a problem with the
alignment of the belt. Also what you hear doesn't sound like alignment,
if it was the sound would be constant as the belt always follows the
same path. Rattle/squeal sounds like a bad bearing on an accessory or
idler.

Go buy a mechanics stethoscope and use it to listen to the various
bearings. A good bearing will spin without a lot of noise, it will sound
like a nice steady breeze. A bad bearing will sound like you're driving
on a gravel road, rough and noisy.

If you can spin the alternator easily and it makes noise the bearings
are probably dry and starting to fail. That is true for most of the
bearings on the accessory drive as well.

--
Steve W.
Old April 7th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Monday, April 7, 2014 12:02:08 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am

> > looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the

> > serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive

> > tool).

> > I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it

> > is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)

> > Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem

> > is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four

> > cylinder, so it is hard to get to.

> > The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac

> > is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went

> > away. However it came back.

> > Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again

> > it is hard to look at.

> > Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play.

> > I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am

> > not sure if this is normal or not.

> > As always I appreciate it!

> The way most vehicles are built now there is not a problem with the
>
> alignment of the belt. Also what you hear doesn't sound like alignment,
>
> if it was the sound would be constant as the belt always follows the
>
> same path. Rattle/squeal sounds like a bad bearing on an accessory or
>
> idler.
>

> Go buy a mechanics stethoscope and use it to listen to the various
>
> bearings. A good bearing will spin without a lot of noise, it will sound
>
> like a nice steady breeze. A bad bearing will sound like you're driving
>
> on a gravel road, rough and noisy.
>

> If you can spin the alternator easily and it makes noise the bearings
>
> are probably dry and starting to fail. That is true for most of the
>
> bearings on the accessory drive as well.
>

> --
>
> Steve W.

I have a stethoscope and did listen. The alternator was loud, everything else was much quieter... Everything spun easily.

There was black stuff in the power steering reservoir. What would that be? It turned all the fluid gray/black.
Old April 7th 14, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Villa

On Monday, April 7, 2014 11:36:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> I replaced both of those this weekend.

But you didn't state that...and you're very welcome also!

Old April 7th 14, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:

>>> I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am
>>> looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on
>>> the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an
>>> expensive tool). I have read about garages using lasers to check
>>> them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be
>>> purchased.) Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer?
>>> The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front
>>> wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to. The noise is
>>> a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I
>>> put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away.
>>> However it came back. Visually I cant really tell that the belt
>>> is running untrue but again it is hard to look at. Spinning
>>> everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I
>>> sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am
>>> not sure if this is normal or not. As always I appreciate it!

>> The way most vehicles are built now there is not a problem with the
>>

>> alignment of the belt. Also what you hear doesn't sound like
>> alignment,
>>
>> if it was the sound would be constant as the belt always follows
>> the
>>
>> same path. Rattle/squeal sounds like a bad bearing on an accessory
>> or
>>
>> idler.
>>

>> Go buy a mechanics stethoscope and use it to listen to the various
>>

>> bearings. A good bearing will spin without a lot of noise, it will
>> sound
>>
>> like a nice steady breeze. A bad bearing will sound like you're
>> driving
>>
>> on a gravel road, rough and noisy.
>>

>> If you can spin the alternator easily and it makes noise the
>> bearings
>>
>> are probably dry and starting to fail. That is true for most of the
>>

>> bearings on the accessory drive as well.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Steve W.

> I have a stethoscope and did listen. The alternator was loud,
> everything else was much quieter... Everything spun easily.
>
> There was black stuff in the power steering reservoir. What would
> that be? It turned all the fluid gray/black.

Probably the bearings are dry. You could use a needle and inject a bit
of high temp grease in them, Would probably make it last 2-3 years
longer if the bearings are not scored.

Black in the PS could be deteriorated hoses or someone added some type
of sealer/conditioner. Disconnect the return line and add fresh fluid
with the engine running to flush it out.

Look over the belt close, and the tops of the sheaves. I've had belts
that looked good but they were worn enough that the ribs were not
actually driving the pulley, it was riding on the top of the sheave.
The ribs on the belts should also not be V shaped they should be closer
to a U, the sides are supposed to do the work.

--
Steve W.
Old April 7th 14, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Villa

On Monday, April 7, 2014 3:05:43 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

> Look over the belt close, and the tops of the sheaves. I've had belts
>
> that looked good but they were worn enough that the ribs were not
>
> actually driving the pulley, it was riding on the top of the sheave.
>
> The ribs on the belts should also not be V shaped they should be closer
>
> to a U, the sides are supposed to do the work.
>
> Steve W.

Where would anyone get information like this? Thanks Steve...never knew this!
Old April 7th 14, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, April 7, 2014 2:18:33 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).
>

> I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)
>

> Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.
>

> The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.
>

> Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.
>

> Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.
>

> As always I appreciate it!

You don't need no stinkin' lasers. Take the belt off and rotate and rock sideways all the pulleys by hand to check for worn bearings. My guess is that it's the AC compressor. There's no problem with the belt alignment.
Old April 7th 14, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Monday, April 7, 2014 3:46:19 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, April 7, 2014 2:18:33 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).

> > I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)

> > Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.

> > The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.

> > Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.

> > Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

> > As always I appreciate it!

> You don't need no stinkin' lasers. Take the belt off and rotate and rock sideways all the pulleys by hand to check for worn bearings. My guess is that it's the AC compressor. There's no problem with the belt alignment.

I already did that. The best I could tell there is no excessive play.