Brake pulsing?

Old April 10th 14, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brian Gordon

Default Brake pulsing?

I'm driving a borrowed car, and it has ABS brakes. My mechanic says the front
brakes are legal, but badly need the rotors turned and the pads replaced soon.

My cars haven't had ABS. At low speed braking, I feel a definite pulsing in
the brake pedal. Is that more likely a normal ABS thing, or a harbinger of
disaster?

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| Brian Gordon <-- brian dot gordon at cox dot net |
Old April 10th 14, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 4/9/2014 4:52 PM, Brian Gordon wrote:
> I'm driving a borrowed car, and it has ABS brakes. My mechanic says the front
> brakes are legal, but badly need the rotors turned and the pads replaced soon.
>
> My cars haven't had ABS. At low speed braking, I feel a definite pulsing in
> the brake pedal. Is that more likely a normal ABS thing, or a harbinger of
> disaster?

Neither. You wouldn't feel the ABS under normal braking. Replace or
resurface the rotor and replace the pads and you'll be good to go.
Old April 10th 14, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Brian Gordon wrote:
> I'm driving a borrowed car, and it has ABS brakes. My mechanic says the front
> brakes are legal, but badly need the rotors turned and the pads replaced soon.
>
> My cars haven't had ABS. At low speed braking, I feel a definite pulsing in
> the brake pedal. Is that more likely a normal ABS thing, or a harbinger of
> disaster?

That isn't ABS. You're feeling the worn out brakes and warped/worn rotors.

Unless it is a unique vehicle with very thick rotors you will probably
find new rotors and pads are a better deal. Most rotors today don't have
a lot of extra iron to remove and true them up.

--
Steve W.
Old April 10th 14, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Brian Gordon > wrote:
>I'm driving a borrowed car, and it has ABS brakes. My mechanic says the front
>brakes are legal, but badly need the rotors turned and the pads replaced soon.
>
>My cars haven't had ABS. At low speed braking, I feel a definite pulsing in
>the brake pedal. Is that more likely a normal ABS thing, or a harbinger of
>disaster?

No, that's because the rotors need to be turned badly.

You will know it when the ABS kicks in... it's a very, very dramatic thing.
If you have never driven with ABS before, I would suggest you go out on a
wet empty parking lot some time (AFTER fixing the brakes, please) and practice
some skids.
--scott

Pulsing Brakes Al Giazirra Technology 12 November 10th 07 03:32 PM
Windshield Wipers not Pulsing Rafael Ford Explorer 0 December 18th 06 02:45 AM
Paint Gun Pulsing Tom in Missouri Corvette 17 September 8th 05 04:01 PM
pulsing brakes Oppie Saturn 6 March 8th 05 04:28 AM
new 04 accord pulsing brake pedal chuck smoko Honda 8 December 11th 04 01:11 AM