1998 Chevy 4 door s10 Blazer HELP

Old February 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Mike Hall

"Iowa883" > wrote in message
> Does anyone run one of these for a 4X4 ? How does it do offroad ?
> I am looking at buying one with a 4.3 and 80,000 miles. Is there any

trouble
> spots to look for ? How about any wear points ?
> What kind of gas mileage should I expect for average driving ?
> Anything I can do to help out performance and or gas mileage ? Or are

these
> two requests an oxymoron ?
> Thanks so much,
> Iowa883

You may want to take a look at these..
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=52&scid=46

http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...er/blazer.html

http://www.carreview.com/SUV/Chevrol...6_1524crx.aspx

Old February 21st 04, 01:00 AM
Mike Hall

Old February 21st 04, 04:36 AM
Iowa883

"Mike Hall" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Iowa883" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone run one of these for a 4X4 ? How does it do offroad ?
> > I am looking at buying one with a 4.3 and 80,000 miles. Is there any

> trouble
> > spots to look for ? How about any wear points ?
> > What kind of gas mileage should I expect for average driving ?
> > Anything I can do to help out performance and or gas mileage ? Or are

> these
> > two requests an oxymoron ?
> > Thanks so much,
> > Iowa883
> >

> You may want to take a look at these..
> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=52&scid=46
>
> http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...er/blazer.html
>
> http://www.carreview.com/SUV/Chevrol...6_1524crx.aspx

That is kind of bad. It doesn't sound so good. What would you pick ?
Iowa883

Old February 21st 04, 04:36 AM
Iowa883

.. .

Old February 21st 04, 01:52 PM
Mike Hall

"Iowa883" > wrote in message

> "Mike Hall" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Iowa883" > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone run one of these for a 4X4 ? How does it do offroad ?
> > > I am looking at buying one with a 4.3 and 80,000 miles. Is there any

> > trouble
> > > spots to look for ? How about any wear points ?
> > > What kind of gas mileage should I expect for average driving ?
> > > Anything I can do to help out performance and or gas mileage ? Or are

> > these
> > > two requests an oxymoron ?
> > > Thanks so much,
> > > Iowa883
> > >

> > You may want to take a look at these..
> > http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=52&scid=46
> >
> > http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...er/blazer.html
> >
> > http://www.carreview.com/SUV/Chevrol...6_1524crx.aspx
> >

> That is kind of bad. It doesn't sound so good. What would you pick ?
> Iowa883

Picking a new vehicle is never easy.. I always do research on pages like
that before buying anything, but the truth is that you can find bad stuff on
every make and model.. I opted for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. they have not
been without problems either, but maybe not quite so many.. reading through
newsgroups, you may note that GM 4x4's are for the most part equipped with
electronic 4x4 switching which seems to cause aggravation to many.. The Jeep
is a true offroader, solid axles, tough inline 6 motor, yet still
comfortable inside giving a good highway ride.. the Selectrac 4x4 option is
manually operated giving 2wd, part time 4x4, fulltime 4x4, and 4Lo.. you may
never use all modes but they are there if you need them.. interior space is
not as good as some of the competition, but there is enough really
considering the overall size.. they still fit into parking spaces while
allowing the doors to be opened..

My wife wanted me to get a GMC Jimmy (a Blazer rebadged), and we looked at a
few.. she was really quite taken with them, but I saw the Grand Cherokee at
the back of the lot and just knew that it was ours.. I told her that it was
a 'Jeep thing', and at first she was sceptical.. now she tells others that
it is a 'Jeep' thing too.. lol.. it has gotten us through the worst that a
Canadian winter deposits in Eastern Ontario without problems.. we don't have
a electric sunroof or the electrically adjustable leather seats like the up
model GMC, but we do have a vehicle that will get us through anything..

At the end of the day, the choice must be yours.. take a look at the
Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.. test drive them.. do the same with the GM
products too so that you have something to compare.. but if you want true
4x4, a Jeep is the way to go..

Old February 21st 04, 01:52 PM
Mike Hall

Old February 21st 04, 05:56 PM
Matt Mead

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:21:07 -0800, "Iowa883" >
wrote:

>Does anyone run one of these for a 4X4 ? How does it do offroad ?

My dad owned a 2-door S-10 Blazer back in the mid 80s. The limiting
factor is the low-slung IFS and no real flex. I imagine the 4-door
suffers that plus a longer wheelbase which would high center quicker.
General 4x4 performance itself was fine and it was good on snowy
roads.

>I am looking at buying one with a 4.3 and 80,000 miles. Is there any trouble
>spots to look for ? How about any wear points ?

The 4.3L engine and 4L60E transmission are dependable units. I've got
155,000 miles on this combo in an AWD Safari van with no significant
problems. I think your problem areas are going to nit-noy things,
like HVAC controls and power windows/doors. Things that will annoy
you, but probably not strand you.

>What kind of gas mileage should I expect for average driving ?
>Anything I can do to help out performance and or gas mileage ?

My AWD van pulls down about 15-16 around town and can hit 20 on the
highway. I'd guess you'd see 16-19 in general driving with a mix of
town and highway. There isn't much you can do to increase mileage or
performance that would be cost effective. (Keep it well tuned and
drive with a light foot.)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion