hard starting

Old January 9th 05, 03:43 AM

Default hard starting

94 explorer very hard to start after it sets for 36 to 48 hours or
longer. Once started it will stop and start allday until it sets
again.Computer checked 3 different shops, no codes come up. Could this
be a sensor problem? If so which ones would be supect?
Semper Fi;Bill

Old January 9th 05, 04:21 AM
Jim Warman

Sometimes we put too much hope in codes and less effort into base diagnosis.
Tehere is the chance that you have a sensor problem but your concern could
also result from basic concerns.

How many miles on the unit? Plugs and wires are in decent shape? Battery and
charging system up to snuff?

Pre OBD2 vehicles had fairly crude systems compared to modern counterparts.
A sensor could lie to the PCM but still be inside programmed parameters.
You're about to understand why we need to be sure of the basics.... there
are many sensors whose reading may be improper but are still within accepted
range. These include the IAT (intake air temp), ECT (engine coolant temp).
TPS (throttle position sense). Addditionally, the MAP may be fouled, or the
intake valves could have a build-up of carbon deposits. The fuel rail may
not be able to build pressure quick enough or a million other things (well,
maybe not a million, but it can seem like it).

Start by cycling the key three or four times before engaging the starter....
see if that makes a difference. If not, progress to pedalling a wee bit
(without cycling the key) and see if that makes a difference.

No code diagnostics aren't impossible.... but they sure can be tough...

Old January 14th 05, 07:37 PM
Barry Lockyer

My 94 EB, woulkd spin the engine very fast, it had a new battery.

Would not fire though, turned out to be a relay.

Just unplugging and replugging worked, but a new one solved the problem.

Ride safe

Barry

<©¿©>

" Awesome " Black and Red GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate.

Sunny Ocala, FL 34482, USA

http://home.att.net/~b.lockyer/index.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 03:00 AM

More info on my hard starting of 8 Jan. The problem started in warm
weather ,when it turned cold in Dec. no problem. In Jan. we had temps
in the 70's for a week and the hard starting returned. Only 48000 mi on
it,no other problems ???? Semper FI Bill

Old February 6th 05, 04:41 PM
jack

I have the same problem on a 92 Sport with 140k. Stumbles the first
time I try to turn it over in the morning. If I cycle the key 3+
times before starting it helps. Problem reappears whenever the car
sits longer than 12hrs.
Problem only appears in mid-summer. Turns right over once the weather
cools below 80 degrees. Easy starts even as low as 10deg.

I haven't been able to track down the source, so please pass along any
solution you come across.