1953 Dodge M37 military fuel problem?

Old July 29th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default 1953 Dodge M37 military fuel problem?

"jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
.. .

> J R wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps it was aluminum foil I was thinking of.Borrow a roll of it from
>> the kitchen and have at it.

> How is that going to help if the problem is the fuel line is absorbing
> too much heat from nearby hot components?
>
> If you insulate the fuel line in the neighborhood of hot components the
> fuel will stay cool. The fuel in the fuel tank should be cool enough and
> the fuel in the line will stay cool as long as the parts of the metal
> fuel line that are near things like exhaust manifold, radiator hoses or
> engine block. Even the hot air flow from the radiator on a hot day can
> add a lot of heat to a metal fuel line. Modern fuels have lower vapor
> pressure than years ago so vapor lock is more of a problem with
> carburetors than it used to be.
>
> -jim

Luckily, no modern vehicles that I know of use carburetors.

In those older units that do, you can shield the fuel lines
from heat sources and that will often buy you some relief.
What you use to shield the line is up to you, your finances, and
your inventiveness.

Old July 29th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

hls wrote:

> "jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
> .. .
> >

> > J R wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps it was aluminum foil I was thinking of.Borrow a roll of it from
> >> the kitchen and have at it.

> > How is that going to help if the problem is the fuel line is absorbing
> > too much heat from nearby hot components?
> >
> > If you insulate the fuel line in the neighborhood of hot components the
> > fuel will stay cool. The fuel in the fuel tank should be cool enough and
> > the fuel in the line will stay cool as long as the parts of the metal
> > fuel line that are near things like exhaust manifold, radiator hoses or
> > engine block. Even the hot air flow from the radiator on a hot day can
> > add a lot of heat to a metal fuel line. Modern fuels have lower vapor
> > pressure than years ago so vapor lock is more of a problem with
> > carburetors than it used to be.
> >
> > -jim

> Luckily, no modern vehicles that I know of use carburetors.

You might actually try reading the thread (or at least read the title of
the thread) you are contributing to.
A 1953 Dodge is not a modern vehicle.

> In those older units that do, you can shield the fuel lines
> from heat sources and that will often buy you some relief.
> What you use to shield the line is up to you, your finances, and
> your inventiveness.

Plumbing Insulation costs pennies per foot.
Old July 29th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

I did read the thread, asshole. Try thinking...
Not many people drive old military vehicles nowadays.
And there is not much of a problem with FI vehicles.

Old July 29th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
klem kedidelhopper

On Jul 29, 9:00*am, jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote:
> hls wrote:
>
> > "jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
> . ..

> > > How is that going to help if the problem is the fuel line is absorbing
> > > too much heat from nearby hot components?

> > > If you insulate the fuel line in the neighborhood of hot components the
> > > fuel will stay cool. The fuel in the fuel tank should be cool enough and
> > > the fuel in the line will stay cool as long as the parts of the metal
> > > fuel line that are near things like exhaust manifold, radiator hoses or
> > > engine block. Even the hot air flow from the radiator on a hot day can
> > > add a lot of heat to a metal fuel line. Modern fuels have lower vapor
> > > pressure than years ago so vapor lock is more of a problem with
> > > carburetors than it used to be.

> > > -jim

> > Luckily, no modern vehicles that I know of use carburetors.

> You might actually try reading the thread (or at least read the title of
> the thread) you are contributing to.
> A 1953 Dodge is not a modern vehicle.
>

> > In those older units that do, you can shield the fuel lines
> > from heat sources and that will often buy you some relief.
> > What you use to shield the line is up to you, your finances, and
> > your inventiveness.

> Plumbing Insulation costs pennies per foot.

I thought of vapor lock but I'm just curious though, I've had this
truck 27 years and never have experienced this problem. I've also run
it on much hotter days than it was the other day this problem started
without incident. This issue with the gas that affects older vehicles,
is this a recent issue ie: the last year or so or is this since the
leaded gas was abolished? This truck was designed to run on 70 octane
but would using an "octane booster" be of any benefit? Or perhaps
high test gas in the Summer months? I also meant to mention that I
use lead substitute with every fill up and there is also something
else I do regularly. I dump a quart of ATF in the gas tank with most
fill ups too. A mechanic friend old me many years ago this helps
provide upper cylinder lubrication. And without a catalytic converter
I don't have to worry about the oil damaging it. Lenny
Old July 29th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

hls wrote:

> I did read the thread, asshole. Try thinking...

You wrote:

" We used aluminum foil, and it CAN help in some cases."

That was bad advice, no matter what you now are trying to turn it into.

Old July 29th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Back in the 1980s, a friend had an old Dodge Power Wagon he offered to
sell to me for $700.00.It was in OK running condition and had a decent
body on it.I don't know why I didn't buy it.
http://www.dodgepowerwagons.com

There is a lot of room under the hood of those old vehicles.You could
add on to the fuel line (assuming vapor lock might be the problem?) and
reroute the fuel line away from heat sources.
cuhulin

Old July 29th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

> I thought of vapor lock but I'm just curious though, I've had this
> truck 27 years and never have experienced this problem. I've also run
> it on much hotter days than it was the other day this problem started
> without incident. This issue with the gas that affects older vehicles,
> is this a recent issue ie: the last year or so or is this since the
> leaded gas was abolished? This truck was designed to run on 70 octane
> but would using an "octane booster" be of any benefit? Or perhaps
> high test gas in the Summer months? I also meant to mention that I
> use lead substitute with every fill up and there is also something
> else I do regularly. I dump a quart of ATF in the gas tank with most
> fill ups too. A mechanic friend old me many years ago this helps
> provide upper cylinder lubrication. And without a catalytic converter
> I don't have to worry about the oil damaging it. Lenny

Vapor lock was a wild guess based on the very little information you
supplied.
It roughly fits the symptoms, but then so does a lot of other things. I
would suggest doing a complete tune-up. New Points, new plugs (or at
least a good cleaning) and adjust the valves. If that doesn't correct
the engine misfire then you need to dig deeper.

-jim
Old August 2nd 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
klem kedidelhopper

On Jul 29, 11:25*am, (J R) wrote:
> Back in the 1980s, a friend had an old Dodge Power Wagon he offered to
> sell to me for $700.00.It was in OK running condition and had a decent
> body on it.I don't know why I didn't buy it.http://www.dodgepowerwagons.com
>
> There is a lot of room under the hood of those old vehicles.You could
> add on to the fuel line (assuming vapor lock might be the problem?) and
> reroute the fuel line away from heat sources.
> cuhulin

The other day since the incident, I had to move the truck and it
started right up and ran better than it has in a long time, Of course
the engine wasn't hot at the time. (You may also recall me saying
that I adjusted the mixture screw on the carb. the other day after I
finally got it started). That would not account for the no fuel smell
during repeated cranking earlier but I don't know. I didn't pull a
plug wire at the time but I just have a feeling its not ignition
related. And getting into the distributor on these is no easy matter
either. So I'm going to fill up the tank and see what happens around
town, (short trips). He wouldn't be very happy about it but we have
plenty of chains and my son can tow me home if we have another
incident......Lenny
Old August 2nd 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jul 29, 9:43*am, klem kedidelhopper >
wrote:
> On Jul 29, 9:00*am, jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote:
>

> > hls wrote:

> > > "jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
> > . ..

> > > Luckily, no modern vehicles that I know of use carburetors.

> > You might actually try reading the thread (or at least read the title of
> > the thread) you are contributing to.
> > A 1953 Dodge is not a modern vehicle.

> > > In those older units that do, you can shield the fuel lines
> > > from heat sources and that will often buy you some relief.
> > > What you use to shield the line is up to you, your finances, and
> > > your inventiveness.

> > Plumbing Insulation costs pennies per foot.

> I thought of vapor lock but I'm just curious though, I've had this
> truck 27 years and never have experienced this problem. I've also run
> it on much hotter days than it was the other day this problem started
> without incident. This issue with the gas that affects older vehicles,
> is this a recent issue ie: the last year or so or is this since the
> leaded gas was abolished? This truck was designed to run on 70 octane
> but would using an "octane booster" be of *any benefit? Or perhaps
> high test gas in the Summer months? *I also meant to mention that I
> use lead substitute with every fill up and there is also something
> else I do regularly. I dump a quart of ATF in the gas tank with most
> fill ups too. A mechanic friend old me many years ago this helps
> provide upper cylinder lubrication. And without a catalytic converter
> I don't have to worry about the oil damaging it. Lenny- Hide quoted text -

I'd check/ change your fuel filter, and maybe check to see if your
carb might need a rebuild.. How's the fuel pump pumping???
Old August 4th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
klem kedidelhopper

On Jul 29, 11:25*am, (J R) wrote:
> Back in the 1980s, a friend had an old Dodge Power Wagon he offered to
> sell to me for $700.00.It was in OK running condition and had a decent
> body on it.I don't know why I didn't buy it.http://www.dodgepowerwagons.com
>
> There is a lot of room under the hood of those old vehicles.You could
> add on to the fuel line (assuming vapor lock might be the problem?) and
> reroute the fuel line away from heat sources.
> cuhulin

Well I got brave and took a ten mile trip in the truck this evening.
The other day after the incident happened I added some alcohol, octane
booster, and carb cleaner to the gas tank. I also leaned up the
mixture as well. It appears that it was running a little rich. The
truck actually ran better than it has in a long time. I had my son
with his flat bed on standby just in case but luckily never had to
call him. Was the whole thing just a fluke? It just seems very
strange. So I'm not convinced that everything is OK until I get some
more time on it over the next few weeks. I guess we'll have to see
what happens. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciated it. Lenny