Wheel Backspacing -- Ok to have different spare?

Old December 31st 04, 07:45 PM
Jeff Strickland

You MUST have all 5 tires be the same size, or your tcase will go nuts
getting you back to the road in 4WD. If you have limited slip or a locker
(or two lockers), then the smaller diameter tire will be a serious problem.
Get the whlle that mateches the others, and don't look back.

"Eric" > wrote in message
news
> That's what I plan on doing until I can get a new bumper -- keep the
> smaller (standard stock wheel/tire combo -- not the donut) on the back and
> the full-sized one at home. Where I wheel right now is only a couple of
> miles from my house.
>
> Eric
> "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
>> Hi Eric,
>> My spares have always been much smaller space/weight, saving
>> diameter: http://www.billhughes.com/jeep68sand.jpg The worse that can
>> happen is I must rotate a front to the rear, because of my Lincoln
>> Lockers. And I usually leave it back at camp if I see another willing to
>> drag the extra weight. And I think the full sized spare tire looks
>> unsightly on my Bronco, and it's hard for people to walk around in a
>> parking lot, and off road it drags on everything, so it's only an 8X10:
>> http://home.att.net/~taschers/Samjip3.jpg
>> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>>

>> Eric wrote:
>>>
>>> I have 4 Eagle Series 55 rims right now with 3.25" backspacing (15x8).
>>> Yes,
>>> that is a lot, but I got them at a GREAT price. I need to get my spare
>>> tire
>>> mounted as it isn't on a wheel yet. I was going to go with the plain
>>> black
>>> steel wheels, but they only go to 3.75" backspacing. I can get a
>>> matching
>>> spare wheel, but it's $80 instead of $40.
>>>
>>> Is it worth the extra $40 to have the same backspacing?
>>>
>>> Eric
>>> 99 TJ SE

Old December 31st 04, 08:06 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff, maybe the extra weight of your full sized spare is the reason
you're constantly falling back off the rocks:
http://7SlotGrille.com/jeepers/cj/jeff/index.html Where I just climb
over them: http://www.billhughes.com/68jeep.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 31st 04, 08:13 PM
Jeff Strickland

No, I think it's the fact that I get into places where the nose is above the
tail well in excess of 50°. ;-)

Old December 31st 04, 08:15 PM
Jeff Strickland

PS,
I got threw that without a strap. It took several attempts to get the right
line, but I eventually made it, and only scratched the body armor.

Old January 1st 05, 05:56 PM
Greg

Hey Bill, I have a backspacing question for you, it's on an 81 CJ7,3 1/2"
susp. lift and 1" body, narrow track, I have 33x12.5x15 BFG MTs, on 8x15
alluminum rims, nice rims.
Anyway I get a far bit of tire rub, on fiberglass tub as well as springs.
I was going to get new rims and sell these ones, but when I checked
backspacing on these it is already 3 1/2", so I may have a problem getting
less.
I know everyones thoughts on spacers, but here are my thoughts, jeep is
just a toy not my daily driver, 95% off road use, if I buy 1" spacers I can
use them for off road but take them off for any trips, if I can get rims
with less backspacing, I would not be able to remove for trips. Either one
will be harder on bearing, but at least the spacers I can take off. What are
your thoughts on my idea, I have to do something before I burn a hole
through my tub, and I know Mike would say I should of gone with the 9.5
tires, but I love my 12.5s.
Greg

Old January 1st 05, 08:21 PM
James Hilins

I agree spend $40 bucks, why mismatch.. Save the money by cutting back on a
few beers next weekend !

Old January 1st 05, 08:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just like the National Hot Rod Association would never allow you on
a drag strip with spacers, I would never ride in a car with them.
So what if the tire rub a little, I radius the tub:
http://www.billhughes.com/46jeep.jpg for as much clearance as possible
with adding height that is so critical in side hill, and bowl running.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old January 2nd 05, 12:22 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Greg" > wrote in message
> Hey Bill, I have a backspacing question for you, it's on an 81 CJ7,3 1/2"
> susp. lift and 1" body, narrow track, I have 33x12.5x15 BFG MTs, on 8x15
> alluminum rims, nice rims.
> Anyway I get a far bit of tire rub, on fiberglass tub as well as springs.
> I was going to get new rims and sell these ones, but when I checked
> backspacing on these it is already 3 1/2", so I may have a problem getting
> less.

I also get rubbing inside the fenders on the surface that would be the floor
or firewall. I use 32x11.50s, so I am not surprised if yoru 33s rub there.

You can stop the rubbing on the springs by either adjusting the Steering
Stop Bolts, or if they adjust so far they fall out (as mine did), then you
can replace them with longer bolts.

The stop bolt that keeps the right side tire from rubbing on the spring is
on the left steering knuckle, and vice versa.

> I know everyones thoughts on spacers, but here are my thoughts, jeep is
> just a toy not my daily driver, 95% off road use, if I buy 1" spacers I
> can use them for off road but take them off for any trips, if I can get
> rims with less backspacing, I would not be able to remove for trips.
> Either one will be harder on bearing, but at least the spacers I can take
> off. What are your thoughts on my idea, I have to do something before I
> burn a hole through my tub, and I know Mike would say I should of gone
> with the 9.5 tires, but I love my 12.5s.
> Greg

Well, you can add a body lift, this will help alot.

Old January 2nd 05, 02:49 AM
Eric

Can't slap a 33 on the stock tire carrier. No way. I've seen what happens
first hand. A guy I wheel with has a 33 that now bounces around his warped
tailgate. No thanks. I AM saving up for a new tire carrier. Has to get in
line -- I'm saving for a lot of things lately. :-) Trying to avoid those
credit cards!!

Eric
99 TJ

Old January 2nd 05, 03:01 AM
DougW

Eric did pass the time by typing:
> I went ahead and ordered the matching wheel -- but I couldn't cut back on
> the beer. I'll just have to cut back on food or something less important.

Develop cheaper tastes in beer or go for the volume discount.

There is always Perl, Schafer, Schlitz, etc. :P

--
DougW