Missfiring SL1 (97)

Old June 22nd 04, 02:14 AM
David De Vuono

Default Missfiring SL1 (97)

If nothing else they sure have character. I have been struggling with
a miss fire for several weeks now. I had some luck when I replaced
the plug wires and used the "recommended" plugs but that only lasted 3
months (last winter). Now I put the bosch platinum plugs back in.
Interesting, when I put a strobe on the plug wires, the shortest wire
would intermitently light up the strobe. So I put an old longer plug
wire in and it would light the strobe steadily. Well that lasted a
day and now my car is missfiring again. It seems okay at hyway speeds
and under hard acceleration but jerks and stumbles a lot 40-65 kmph
under light throttle. I went through hundreds or thousands of messages
on this board last winter which pointed to the wires and plugs. I am
thinking of upgrading the wires and coils but hate to spend money if
its not gonna do the job. OBD11 code PO341 (which I know the car does
not have this part)keeps coming up.

Dave D.
Old June 22nd 04, 02:33 AM
Chris

I've had the same sort of problems when I first got mine - first try
replacing the fuel filter. Sort of simple, but it fixed mine. Second, get
the fuel pump tested.

Chris

om...

Old June 22nd 04, 04:30 AM
Philip Nasadowski

Check that you have the plug wires routed just right. IIRC, there's
something about OBDII Saturns that makes them touchy about the wire type
and routing, and if it's not perfect, they do weird things.

Before going for the ignition and coils, you might want to try pulling
out the crank sensor and cleaning any junk/chips off it, or see if it's
flakey.