cruise control for 156 1.6TS 2000

Old October 11th 04, 11:53 AM
Guus Obelink

Default cruise control for 156 1.6TS 2000

I want to buy a cruise control for my alfa. Has anyone expirence with
products from VDO, John Gold or other manufactors. In building in,
functioning, prices and quality.

Guus Obelink
156 1.6 TS SW 2000

Old October 12th 04, 04:19 AM
Buzzardous Cross

Actually, that's what my yr 2000 selespeed is missing as well.
I figured it should not be difficult but would like to hear if anybody
has had experiences...

Old October 12th 04, 09:29 PM
Mr Flipflops

"Guus Obelink" > wrote in message
> I want to buy a cruise control for my alfa. Has anyone expirence with
> products from VDO, John Gold or other manufactors. In building in,
> functioning, prices and quality.
>
> Guus Obelink
> 156 1.6 TS SW 2000

Is the 1.6 a fly by wire? 2.5 is, when a scan is done with a Bosch
diagnostic tool the cruise control shows up as an open switch. Makes me
wonder if switching it on is simply a case of finding the relevant circuit
and throwing a switch in there. Wouldn't surprise me...

Old October 13th 04, 09:25 AM
Buzzardous Cross

I think for yr 2000, 1.6TS is NOT using an electronic throttle i.e. no
fly by wire.
But later on 2002?, the whole range of TS engines have gone
e-throttle.

As you've pointed out (and I'm elaborating):
If the car has an electronic throttle, and e.g. in the 2.0selespeeds,
the ECU already has control over the throttle butterfly.
So a closed loop control to maintain desired speed based on setpoint
and speedometer reading is just some software routines away - which
they could have already put in the Engine ECU firmware.

BUT:
Even if we found the switch, we'd still need to figure out the
pin-outs on the ECU that take-in the:
- speed setpoint
- coast signal
- accelerate signal

Or do you mean that that one switch takes in signals for speed
setpoint & coast?

Though I guess the most important part that we need is the speed
setpoint. I could easily live with a cruise control that only had set
& coast or at the very worst case only set.

Must say you've made a very interesting discovery. My curiosity's
been aroused!

B.C.