$133.19 for a #$%#$% key!!!

Old July 17th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Default $133.19 for a #$%#$% key!!!

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>Carbon > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:33:33 +0000, Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know about that, but I hate those keys. I had a non chip key
>>> made so that at least I do not have to carry two of those gigantic boxes
>>> on the chance I lock my key in the trunk. It will not start the car,
>>> but it will open doors and trunk.
>>>
>>> You could have had a couple made for a few dollars and used it to lock
>>> the transponder key in the trunk.

>>What is the range of those keys anyway? Will the car start if a
>>transponder is merely nearby?

I did the experiments again, holding the real key as close as I could to the
fake and the lock. No response. I even tried holding the metal of the two
keys together in case it wants electrical connectivity. Nothing. And the
resistance of the fake is too small to measure.

How big are those RFID wave lengths anyway?

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old July 21st 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

So what else is new! Dealers charge a fortune to make keys, even when the
key is just a normal one.
The mistake is to not insist on getting at least two keys when you take
delivery of a car.
If it's a new car, some dealers like to keep a extra key or so, hoping that
you will come back later and be willing to pay for something that should
have been included in the sale. Another reason is that having a key makes a
repo much easier.

Old July 22nd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Carbon > wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:33:33 +0000, Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> I don't know about that, but I hate those keys. I had a non chip key
>> made so that at least I do not have to carry two of those gigantic boxes
>> on the chance I lock my key in the trunk. It will not start the car,
>> but it will open doors and trunk.
>>
>> You could have had a couple made for a few dollars and used it to lock
>> the transponder key in the trunk.

>What is the range of those keys anyway? Will the car start if a
>transponder is merely nearby?

To answer the original question, distance is not the only issue. It wants
the transponder exactly where the key should be. I managed to start the car
by holding the box right next to the fake key, in the same position as where
it would be if the true key was used, save for the 1/4 inch or so displacement
the fake enforced.

Of course, that seems to be useless. There is no point in glueing the box to a
fake key.

Leon
Old July 22nd 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Chuck" > wrote:

>So what else is new! Dealers charge a fortune to make keys, even when the
>key is just a normal one.
>The mistake is to not insist on getting at least two keys when you take
>delivery of a car.
>If it's a new car, some dealers like to keep a extra key or so, hoping that
>you will come back later and be willing to pay for something that should
>have been included in the sale. Another reason is that having a key makes a
>repo much easier.

I must say our local dealer did give me two keys. They are a quite decent
dealership, and I have quite a lot of trust in their service department.
They are just relatively expensive, no doubt due to the fact that competition
between dealerships does not really exist in Tallahassee and its immediate
surroundings. Let me point out that Tallahassee *does not have* an immediate
surroundings.

Leon

.. .