$900 for a distributor replacement?

Old February 1st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default $900 for a distributor replacement?

My 94 Mazda MX6 needs a new distributor. As this was dying, the car
overheated and the shop replaced the thermostat. I now owe $353 for the
thermostat, and $90 for diagnosing the distributor. The estimate for the
distributor is an additional $840. So it will cost me $1,280 to get this
car back, running. There could be additional issues, but a head job is
unlikely (estimated at $2,500 if needed). The mechanic has offered to
take the car for the $443 owed. Should I give him the car? Are these
prices fair? The car has 101k miles.

Old February 1st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

kr101 wrote:
> My 94 Mazda MX6 needs a new distributor. As this was dying, the car
> overheated and the shop replaced the thermostat. I now owe $353 for the
> thermostat, and $90 for diagnosing the distributor. The estimate for the
> distributor is an additional $840. So it will cost me $1,280 to get this
> car back, running. There could be additional issues, but a head job is
> unlikely (estimated at $2,500 if needed). The mechanic has offered to
> take the car for the $443 owed. Should I give him the car? Are these
> prices fair? The car has 101k miles.

$353.00 for a thermostat replacement?
That is insane. The distributor price also sounds very high, but I have
never had a MX6 worked on before.

There is no way that a thermostat job should cost that much, it is a
commonly and easily replaced item. I replaced one last week for $5.00 or
so including the gasket, no labor cost, of course. It took less than 15
minutes, though again, not on a MX6.

There may not be much that you can do about the $443.00 owed, he can put
a mechanic's lein on it if the repairs are not paid for, at least in Texas.

In any case, I would get that car away from him and try to find another
place to take it. I'm sure that he would take it for the $443.00 owed,
he would probably drop an aftermarket or used distributor in there,
assuming that he is even being honest about that being the problem, and
then sell the car for a few grand.

Finding an honest mechanic is almost as hard as finding an honest
lawyer. Good luck.

Pat
Old February 1st 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote in message
news
> kr101 wrote:
>> My 94 Mazda MX6 needs a new distributor. As this was dying, the car
>> overheated and the shop replaced the thermostat. I now owe $353 for the
>> thermostat, and $90 for diagnosing the distributor. The estimate for the
>> distributor is an additional $840. So it will cost me $1,280 to get this
>> car back, running. There could be additional issues, but a head job is
>> unlikely (estimated at $2,500 if needed). The mechanic has offered to
>> take the car for the $443 owed. Should I give him the car? Are these
>> prices fair? The car has 101k miles.
>>

> $353.00 for a thermostat replacement?
> That is insane. The distributor price also sounds very high, but I have
> never had a MX6 worked on before.
>
> There is no way that a thermostat job should cost that much, it is a
> commonly and easily replaced item. I replaced one last week for $5.00 or
> so including the gasket, no labor cost, of course. It took less than 15
> minutes, though again, not on a MX6.
>
> There may not be much that you can do about the $443.00 owed, he can put a
> mechanic's lein on it if the repairs are not paid for, at least in Texas.
>
> In any case, I would get that car away from him and try to find another
> place to take it. I'm sure that he would take it for the $443.00 owed, he
> would probably drop an aftermarket or used distributor in there, assuming
> that he is even being honest about that being the problem, and then sell
> the car for a few grand.
>
> Finding an honest mechanic is almost as hard as finding an honest lawyer.
> Good luck.
>
> Pat

You've heard to many lawyer jokes. There are plenty of honest lawyers (and
mechanics).

Old February 1st 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> > Finding an honest mechanic is almost as hard as finding an honest lawyer.

> You've heard to many lawyer jokes. There are plenty of honest lawyers (and
> mechanics).

True, but it's still not easy to find them without a personal referral.
The sleazy ones usually aren't tattooed "CROOK" across the forehead, but
look just like the honest ones. Of course, you'll want to avoid any
lawyer that advertises on billboards or TV.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 1st 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> > Finding an honest mechanic is almost as hard as finding an honest
>> > lawyer.

>> You've heard to many lawyer jokes. There are plenty of honest lawyers
>> (and
>> mechanics).

> True, but it's still not easy to find them without a personal referral.
> The sleazy ones usually aren't tattooed "CROOK" across the forehead, but
> look just like the honest ones. Of course, you'll want to avoid any
> lawyer that advertises on billboards or TV.

While I admit to being as squeamish as the next person about this, I'm not
sure there is any reason to question the honesty of lawyers that advertise.
For a long time it was against ABA rules, I think, and it must no longer be
the case. For generations, the ABA browbeat us into thinking a lawyer who
would advertise must be slime. I think that was pure propoganda. It was
just a collusion so that lawyers wouldn't have to compete with each other by
advertising. I could be wrong.

Old February 1st 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:34:11 -0500, "kr101" > wrote:

>My 94 Mazda MX6 needs a new distributor. As this was dying, the car
>overheated and the shop replaced the thermostat. I now owe $353 for the
>thermostat, and $90 for diagnosing the distributor. The estimate for the
>distributor is an additional $840. So it will cost me $1,280 to get this
>car back, running. There could be additional issues, but a head job is
>unlikely (estimated at $2,500 if needed). The mechanic has offered to
>take the car for the $443 owed. Should I give him the car? Are these
>prices fair? The car has 101k miles.

Replacing the thermostat should be a half hour job and maybe $20 in
parts.

Replacing the distributor should be the cost of the part ($312 reman
from Trussville Mazda). That leaves more than $500 in labor.

I hesitate to say so for sure unless I had all the details, but it
sure *sounds* like you are being ripped off bigtime.

Don't give him the car. Post detailed labor and parts prices on the
existing work.
Old February 1st 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> For generations, the ABA browbeat us into thinking a lawyer who
> would advertise must be slime.

Their sliminess isn't the issue. Guess who pays for those TV
commercials? You and me, through the increased cost of products and
services from organizations they sue. Health insurance, for example.
They're parasites.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 1st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Frank Berger wrote:

> You've heard to many lawyer jokes. There are plenty of honest lawyers (and
> mechanics).

Sorry, but I am not really into lawyer jokes.
I didn't even cheer with the crowd when the T-Rex ate the lawyer in
"Jurrasic Park", though I would have cheered if he had eaten my first
auto mechanic. :-)

What is your definition of "plenty" in this case? In my life, I have
seen a much larger percentage of mechanics that were crooks than ones
that were honest.
Luckily, I have not had to deal with many lawyers, but the ones that I
have dealt with have all been absolute scumbags, no jokes needed.

Mechanics and lawyers are two of the most notorious professions known
for dishonesty and ripping people off, right up there with used car
salespeople and pawn shop owners.
The stereotypes are there for a reason.

Pat
Old February 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote in message
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> You've heard to many lawyer jokes. There are plenty of honest lawyers
>> (and mechanics).

> Sorry, but I am not really into lawyer jokes.
> I didn't even cheer with the crowd when the T-Rex ate the lawyer in
> "Jurrasic Park", though I would have cheered if he had eaten my first auto
> mechanic. :-)
>
> What is your definition of "plenty" in this case? In my life, I have seen
> a much larger percentage of mechanics that were crooks than ones that were
> honest.
> Luckily, I have not had to deal with many lawyers, but the ones that I
> have dealt with have all been absolute scumbags, no jokes needed.
>
> Mechanics and lawyers are two of the most notorious professions known for
> dishonesty and ripping people off, right up there with used car
> salespeople and pawn shop owners.
> The stereotypes are there for a reason.
>
> Pat

Do you think all stereotypes of much of a basis in fact?

Old February 2nd 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> For generations, the ABA browbeat us into thinking a lawyer who
>> would advertise must be slime.

> Their sliminess isn't the issue. Guess who pays for those TV
> commercials? You and me, through the increased cost of products and
> services from organizations they sue. Health insurance, for example.
> They're parasites.

How is this different than anybody advertising anything? Also, those
commecials are paid for in part by people who have really been wronged and
need the services of lawyers to get redress. In a free society people have
to be able to sue. That doesn't mean the current system is ideal, of course.

By the way, I am not a lawyer.