Passat Accident

Old January 18th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch[_2_]

Default Passat Accident

I was cut off yesterday by a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The driver felt the
need to turn left across opposing traffic to enter a highway w/o looking. I
hit him in his rear right tire with my 04 GLS. He spun and his rear axel
came off sending the wheel flying.

I fear my Passat is a total loss. The front is pushed in and the right
front fender is history. However - what a car. I barely even felt the
impact and the cabin was untouched. Strangely - no airbags deployed. Both
doors open w/o a problem and I walked away. It is definitely amazing to me
that an impact like this left me completely unscathed. Unfortunately, a new
Passat is out of the question based on price and personal taste about the
new model. This is definitely one great car. Too bad - 54,000 miles and
a lot of years left.

David

Old January 19th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Sorry to hear that but I am glad you are OK! How is the Jeep person?

Your Passat should still be worth about $9,000 so there must be some serious
damage to it for it to be totalled.

Let us know what you happens and don't just settle for the first offer!!!!!
Someone I know just got $7200 for their 1997 Passat that was totalled last
year (not her fault). She was able to drive it very safely until she found
a '04 Passat 4-motion for $9,000. WOW is she happy with her "new" Passat
and the deal!!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old January 19th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
buschky

The Jeep guy is fine - just a bit miffed that the witness does not support
his account. I'd like to find a 04-05 Wagon, 5 sp and leather. Any leads -
please pass them my way. Thanks.
David

Old January 21st 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

> The Jeep guy is fine - just a bit miffed that the witness does not support
> his account. I'd like to find a 04-05 Wagon, 5 sp and leather. Any leads -
> please pass them my way. Thanks.

Autotrader.com is your friend !

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232553427801

Lynn

Old January 23rd 09, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch[_2_]

Well the insurance company has decided to fix my Passat. $7,000 damamge -
but they say the car is worth too much too total. I have mixed feelings.
3-4 weeks before it is complete. We'll see how this goes.
David

Old January 23rd 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

TEST DRIVE IT WELL BEFORE PAYMENT!!!!
Most people don't know that they are allowed, by Federal Law, that they have
the option to test drive the vehicle BEFORE payment. A sign should be
posted somewhere in the shop especially at the Cashier's area.

I remember a friend of mine having her wagon repaired after a serious
accident where it should have been totalled. It looked beautiful after the
repairs but ever time it rained the cargo area filled up with water. The
repair shop finally had to replace an inner rear 1/4 panel. When they
washed it it leaked inside too after they basically told her she was crazy!
After that was repaired it was fine!
I wonder how a repair like that affects the value of the vehicle! hmmmm

Oh also take it through a car wash to check for water infiltration! ;-)

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Here are two Passat specific yahoo groups you can join.

Old January 24th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch[_2_]

That would be a great idea. However, I believe that the insurance company
pays the shop directly. So I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.
In a touch of irony, the rental car I was given is a 2008 Passat. I think I
like the previous version better (my 04). My car felt more solid and more
of a drivers car.

Old January 24th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes but YOU have to sign off on their work AFAIK.
So if you don't sign off yet then you still have leverage! ;-)
Sometimes people have a deductable too, which is also leverage although
usually a small one! lol

Read here about the value of your car after repairs:
http://www.utah-personal-injury-atto...epair-utah.php
Read here about test driving:
http://www2.state.ga.us/GaOCA/auto1.htm
http://www.srautobody.com/faqs.shtml

I tried to locate that law about testing out the car AFTER repairs and
before paying, but I did not find it......yet!

Oh and does your car look like this Audi A4 after the accident causing it to
flip over a couple of times?
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...urrent=car.jpg
This family (husband, wife and 2 small children) was able to walk away with
no serious physical problems
I think his Audi is totalled though! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old January 24th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
D&LBusch[_2_]

All true. I'll have a few weeks to ponder the whole thing. I'll hope for
the best. Tough Audi pictures. These cars are really built to protect the
occupants. Mine isn't quite as bad - maybe it will all work out fine.
David
"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> Yes but YOU have to sign off on their work AFAIK.
> So if you don't sign off yet then you still have leverage! ;-)
> Sometimes people have a deductable too, which is also leverage although
> usually a small one! lol
>
> Read here about the value of your car after repairs:
> http://www.utah-personal-injury-atto...epair-utah.php
> Read here about test driving:
> http://www2.state.ga.us/GaOCA/auto1.htm
> http://www.srautobody.com/faqs.shtml
>
> I tried to locate that law about testing out the car AFTER repairs and
> before paying, but I did not find it......yet!
>
> Oh and does your car look like this Audi A4 after the accident causing it
> to flip over a couple of times?
> http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...urrent=car.jpg
> This family (husband, wife and 2 small children) was able to walk away
> with no serious physical problems
> I think his Audi is totalled though! ;-)
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "D&LBusch" > wrote in message
>> That would be a great idea. However, I believe that the insurance
>> company pays the shop directly. So I guess I'll have to keep my fingers
>> crossed. In a touch of irony, the rental car I was given is a 2008
>> Passat. I think I like the previous version better (my 04). My car felt
>> more solid and more of a drivers car.
>> David
>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>>> TEST DRIVE IT WELL BEFORE PAYMENT!!!!
>>> Most people don't know that they are allowed, by Federal Law, that they
>>> have the option to test drive the vehicle BEFORE payment. A sign should
>>> be posted somewhere in the shop especially at the Cashier's area.
>>>
>>> I remember a friend of mine having her wagon repaired after a serious
>>> accident where it should have been totalled. It looked beautiful after
>>> the repairs but ever time it rained the cargo area filled up with water.
>>> The repair shop finally had to replace an inner rear 1/4 panel. When
>>> they washed it it leaked inside too after they basically told her she
>>> was crazy!
>>> After that was repaired it was fine!
>>> I wonder how a repair like that affects the value of the vehicle! hmmmm
>>>
>>> Oh also take it through a car wash to check for water infiltration! ;-)
>>>
>>> JMHO
>>> --
>>> later,
>>> (One out of many daves)
>>>
>>> Here are two Passat specific yahoo groups you can join.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232553427801

LLB causes accident Alexander Rogge Driving 38 February 14th 08 01:40 PM
Accident Thomas Avery Driving 5 June 9th 05 12:42 AM
Car accident [email protected] Driving 9 April 6th 05 12:31 AM
Accident Brian Turner Mazda 6 October 8th 04 05:06 PM