Aftermarket Sunroof

Old September 15th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33

Default Aftermarket Sunroof

Alright, after actually having time to do research myself, I've come across
this:

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9602saturn.htm

It sounds more promising than a Saturn roof would - actual metal rails!

anything else that would provide an easy install? I'm just looking for a way
to fix my sunroof - or replace it with something that'll work better and not
break because its 50% plastic.

Old September 15th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RK Henry

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 07:59:03 -0500, "HyperCube33"
> wrote:

>Alright, after actually having time to do research myself, I've come across
>this:
>
>http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9602saturn.htm
>
>It sounds more promising than a Saturn roof would - actual metal rails!
>
>anything else that would provide an easy install? I'm just looking for a way
>to fix my sunroof - or replace it with something that'll work better and not
>break because its 50% plastic.

Hey, that's pretty good. A few years ago I had to pay Saturn a fistful
of dollars to replace the module because I was too busy at the time to
fix it myself. It's nice to know there's a cheaper alternative. I'm
making a note for future reference.

When they replaced my module, the process of removing the headliner
broke up the old, rotting foam backing of the headliner material. It
started drooping so I couldn't see out the back. I replaced it myself
for just a few bucks with headliner fabric from the fabric store. They
even had the 3M spray adhesive to stick it on with. The foam in the
new material was a bit thicker than the original so the new headliner
is a bit cushier looking and I had to make a slight compromise on the
color. Re-covering on a sunroof car takes a bit more fabric since you
have to not only cover the headliner board but also the sun shield
shutter. I had my mother sew new material on the sun visor blades. I
still haven't figured out a good way to reattach the convenience
mirror on the right side. I'm thinking of trying pop rivets, hot glue
didn't work.

If I had it to do over, I would replace the sunroof module with one of
the rebuilt units and I would replace the headliner at the same time
to eliminate the need to remove the headliner board twice. The
fiberglass backing is rather delicate, so minimizing the number of
times it's removed will help extend its life.

RK Henry
Old September 15th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33

Awesome. Is it possible to get a brand new headliner from saturn somehow? Do
I have to get an aftermarket one?

I'm wondering how much that'd cost.

Is there any guide on removing the headliner (so I dont destroy it
accidentally?

-Brian