Recommended manual for 1991 Golf?

Old October 11th 04, 03:45 PM
zoara

Default Recommended manual for 1991 Golf?

Just bought a dead cheap 1991 Golf so wasn't very surprised when it
decided it wouldn't start any more.

I'm familiar (though not an expert) with Beetles - the aircooled ones -
but have no idea of where to start with more modern cars. I'm after a
manual that gives orientation and basic concepts in an easy-to-follow
style; what sits where and why, and how to troubleshoot problems.

Is there anything good out there, or am I stuck with the wonderfully
obtuse Haynes manuals? I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

I've googled but can't find anything that stands out above the rest.

Thankyou.

-zoara-

--
The iBook saga continues... last updated Thu 7/10/04 (day 73)
Could it all finally be over?
Old October 11th 04, 04:59 PM

haynes manual @ autozone, etc covers just about everything you need
for about $12.

Old October 11th 04, 05:46 PM
SFC

Have you tried this site?
http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=mitchel

SFC

"zoara" > schreef in bericht

Old October 11th 04, 06:41 PM
Rob

"zoara" > wrote in message

> Just bought a dead cheap 1991 Golf so wasn't very surprised when it
> decided it wouldn't start any more.
>
> I'm familiar (though not an expert) with Beetles - the aircooled ones -
> but have no idea of where to start with more modern cars. I'm after a
> manual that gives orientation and basic concepts in an easy-to-follow
> style; what sits where and why, and how to troubleshoot problems.
>
> Is there anything good out there, or am I stuck with the wonderfully
> obtuse Haynes manuals? I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.
>
> I've googled but can't find anything that stands out above the rest.
>
> Thankyou.
>
> -zoara-

I've got the Haynes and Bentley, and find both together quite useful.
Bentley is far better written and organised, and has more detail and tips,
but is US oriented.

Rob

Old October 11th 04, 09:01 PM
Nik&Andy

same diagnoses for all cars really, check for LT voltage, HT voltage, fuel
etc.... Haynes manuals are good for somethings, such as keeping your bum off
the concrete whilst doing brakes etc....

Presuming it is petrol, you don't mention diesel.....

1) Take a plug out and turn it over, is there a spark?
2) is fuel getting into the carb - does it squirt out when you turn the
throttle to full?
3) if there is no carb then it is either injection or you have just found
the problem!
4) injection, (Be carefull!) remove an injector stick it in a glass jar and
get somebody to turn over the engine, is there fuel in the jar?
5) It has to be fuel or spark - other causes are low/no compression (get
compression tester), or timing issue, e.g. crank sensor, faulty
immobiliser.
6) If there is voltage to the fuel pump and no noise, then suspect the pump.

this should get you some way towards a diagnoses of the basics, from then on
most people on this site can probably help you.

Old October 14th 04, 03:37 PM
Jon B

zoara > wrote:

> Just bought a dead cheap 1991 Golf so wasn't very surprised when it
> decided it wouldn't start any more.
>
> I'm familiar (though not an expert) with Beetles - the aircooled ones -
> but have no idea of where to start with more modern cars. I'm after a
> manual that gives orientation and basic concepts in an easy-to-follow
> style; what sits where and why, and how to troubleshoot problems.
>
> Is there anything good out there, or am I stuck with the wonderfully
> obtuse Haynes manuals? I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.
>
> I've googled but can't find anything that stands out above the rest.
>
> Thankyou.

<waves>

I think some of the extra info you posted elsewhere may be of use

"From when we bought it, it's been temperamental starting from cold -
would often take a few seconds and lots of gas, maybe a couple of
attempts too. Then it would cut out when idling (or even revving low)
unless warmed by revving reasonably high for a minute or so before
setting off. Even then, it was sluggish at gear changes until warm.
After warming up it would rev quite high (2000 RPM?) at idle. It was
also prone to overheating (though we only took it out maybe five or ten
times on short journeys, so it's difficult to know).

The last dying gasp was when there was a *lot* of steam coming out of
the bonnet (something I'm not used to as an ex-Beetle nut) and once it
cooled down it wouldn't go any more. It starts - the engine turns over
fine - but dies when the revs go below 1500 (?) RPM, even if the engine
has been warmed up through revving.

Battery is OK (or should be, it's been recharged a few days back). Oil
levels checked out a few days ago (though it does need changing). Water
level is OK. Fan next to radiator seems to jam (which probably explains
the overheating but not the non-starting). Engine has always had a hot
smell to it after being driven. There's what looks like an air-hose
missing from what I presume to be the the air filter unit down to the
front driver side of the under-bonnet (I presume this is an air
intake?). There's another air hose below and behind this which is not
securely attached at the engine end (I have no idea what this does).

My guesses are as follows:
1. The automatic choke is buggered and needs replacing/tweaking
2. The engine is being starved of air because of the missing air hose
3. The engine is overheating because the fan is jamming and not cooling
the water down

I hope that after these three are investigated (2 being easiest, 3 being
a case of suck it and see, and 1 being "how and where the hell?") it
will start OK. Probably."

Unfortunately my knowledge is more the Injection than carb engined
Golf's, check the oil and water and make sure they haven't mixed, you
should fine your oil is white and creamy if it has which means
unfortunately the head gasket has failed. But as others have said some
more info on the car would be advantageous, size, fuel?
--
Jon B
real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com
Old October 15th 04, 10:59 AM
Phatman

I wouldn't recommend the Haynes manaual for the MKII unless you can pick one
up secondhand at a car boot, IMO it's badly written and tries to cover too
many models, unlike the earlier MKI book. The Bently manual is a better but
more expensive option.

--Steve

"Jon B" > wrote in message
news:1glnh3j.1234vbb1s4kmyyN%sniffthat@ohglobbits. tk...
> [...]

> 1. The automatic choke is buggered and needs replacing/tweaking
> 2. The engine is being starved of air because of the missing air hose
> 3. The engine is overheating because the fan is jamming and not cooling
> the water down
>
> I hope that after these three are investigated (2 being easiest, 3 being
> a case of suck it and see, and 1 being "how and where the hell?") it
> will start OK. Probably."
>
> Unfortunately my knowledge is more the Injection than carb engined
> Golf's, check the oil and water and make sure they haven't mixed, you
> should fine your oil is white and creamy if it has which means
> unfortunately the head gasket has failed. But as others have said some
> more info on the car would be advantageous, size, fuel?
> --
> Jon B
> real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com

FS '88 Accord Factory Service Manual jjjsan Honda 0 January 9th 05 06:54 PM
Serious Bentley Manual Problems Kent VW water cooled 40 September 25th 04 04:57 AM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM
F.S in UK. Audi 100 & A6 Haynes Manual 1991-1997 Models Petrol & Diesel joe landy Audi 0 June 14th 04 06:33 PM