Window fails to open - sometimes

Old June 15th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
R. F. Duffer

Default Window fails to open - sometimes

2004 Explorer:

The rear driver's side window does not open with either the driver's
push-button or the rear door's push-button. This problem started last
summer. However, during the winter (Chicago suburb), the window would
once again open/close. I had no problems with the window until mid-May.
I didn't take it to the dealer last year, but probably will soon.
However, does anyone have any idea what might cause this? It is strange
that it opens/closes during cold weather and refuses to open when it is
warmer. Unfortunately, I don't know at what temperature the problem
starts. I am thinking motor overheating or wire overheating -- not
affected by cold obviously.

Thanks,
Ray
Old June 16th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Possibly switch? The rear door switces are interchangeable side for side -
there is a hint here. Another common failure is damaged wiring in the
pass-through bellows at the door - the drivers door usually being the first
to indicate a failure (not that year and mileage might influence a
response).

The big problem with window concerns is that it involves electricity... even
though the power window circuitry is really quite simple when one
understands it, most techs (and DIYers) have a very hard time when
electricity is involved.

Old June 16th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:39:51 -0500, "R. F. Duffer"
> wrote:

>2004 Explorer:
>
>The rear driver's side window does not open with either the driver's
>push-button or the rear door's push-button. This problem started last
>summer. However, during the winter (Chicago suburb), the window would
>once again open/close. I had no problems with the window until mid-May.
> I didn't take it to the dealer last year, but probably will soon.
>However, does anyone have any idea what might cause this? It is strange
>that it opens/closes during cold weather and refuses to open when it is
>warmer. Unfortunately, I don't know at what temperature the problem
>starts. I am thinking motor overheating or wire overheating -- not
>affected by cold obviously.
>
>Thanks,
>Ray

Not sure about the Explorer's windows, but many vehicles if the rear
switch fails, both switches can become inoperative.

There also may be a thermal switch in the motor that has become too
sensitive, and opening at too low a temperature.

Proper diagnostics would be very helpful. Get into the failure mode
(hot day?) and check voltages at the motor, are they good? No voltages
then the problem is elsewhere. If voltage, check the motor for opens.

Old June 17th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Superj

Jim Warman wrote:
> Possibly switch? The rear door switces are interchangeable side for side -
> there is a hint here. Another common failure is damaged wiring in the
> pass-through bellows at the door - the drivers door usually being the first
> to indicate a failure (not that year and mileage might influence a
> response).
>
> The big problem with window concerns is that it involves electricity... even
> though the power window circuitry is really quite simple when one
> understands it, most techs (and DIYers) have a very hard time when
> electricity is involved.

Problems with electricity ? Shocking!!
Old July 7th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On Jun 15, 8:39*am, "R. F. Duffer" >
wrote:
> 2004 Explorer:
>
> The rear driver's side window does not open with either the driver's
> push-button or the rear door's push-button. *This problem started last
> summer. *However, during the winter (Chicago suburb), the window would
> once again open/close. *I had no problems with the window until mid-May..
> * I didn't take it to the dealer last year, but probably will soon.
> However, does anyone have any idea what might cause this? *It is strange
> that it opens/closes during cold weather and refuses to open when it is
> warmer. *Unfortunately, I don't know at what temperature the problem
> starts. *I am thinking motor overheating or wire overheating -- not
> affected by cold obviously.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

My '03 had the same problem and I heard from several others back in
'03 & '04 having the same problem. Ford replaced the window moter
twice and it worked for a while then the third is still working. All
of this was under warranty thankfully. I seem to remember it was the
motor brushes sticking. Sometimes a swift bump on the motor would
help but is not a great fix.