'99 XLS Po171 & P0174 codes

Old May 8th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

Default '99 XLS Po171 & P0174 codes

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 May 2009 08:11:16 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> >"PeterD" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> Some how the concept that the voltage being right at the sensor
> >> dictates the sensor is bad is puzzling... <g>

> >It seems clear to me ;-) What I meant was if you have a code indicating

> >bad sensor and the wiring check out OK, and the proper voltage it getting

> >the sensor, then the sensor must be bad.

> Perhaps misundertanding, but an O2 sensor generates voltage, and
> doesn't 'get' voltage. So if the voltage at the O2 sensor is right,
> then the sensor had to be good. <g>

OK then. I didn't know that. Now I understand what you meant.

> >> A scan tool is your friend. Personally I own my own scan tool (OK, I
> >> have *five* of them...) but many parts stores will scan for 'free'.

> >My local parts stores used to scan for free but now they say the

government
> >won't let them do it any more. I guess the Auto Mechanics Union or

somebody
> >paid off the govment.

> You must be in one of those states where you have no freedom at all.
> Like CA for example where you can't wipe your butt whtout running
> afoul of the law! <bg> They (scan tools) are not expensive, a good
> investment IMHO, especially if you live there!

You guessed it. I call it The Totalitarianism State. It's full of a bunch
of brain-washed zombies that come from some place called "Back East" that
believe whatever hogwash the government throws at them. AND they can vote.
But seriously, if the government covered them with **** and told them it was
good for them, they would LIKE it and say "thank you."

> >> Frequently I can clear the DTCs for a vehicle and they won't come back
> >> on. This is always the best first start, certainly the cheapest one.
> >> Sometimes it is a transient problem, and it never reoccures.

> >I've had results getting the CEL to go off by disconnecting the battery

for
> >a while but that was always when I did something like disconnect the
> >throttle position sensor which should make the CEL come on. Sooner or

later
> >I'll have to get a code reader or start buying older cars ;-).

> Really old cars! Like from the 60's. But wait, taht won't work because
> some states are now forcing people to scrap these older, classic cars.

I had a dream that they took away my '91 Explorer. I guess we're all
supposed to buy a new car every two years. Maybe I should sell my '78 Ford
pickup before they ban those. I've been told at the smog test place that
they keep reducing the acceptable emissions but so far I've passed the smog
tests no problem. Last year was supposed to be it's last smog test but they
suspended the "30 year rollover" as they call it. I guess I won't be
surprised if they do ban old cars/trucks. Hell, any state that can ban
smoking OUTDOORS can do just about anything.

> > Right now I
> >have a '99 Ranger with auto trans problems and unfortunately I think I've
> >eliminated all of the possible electronic and sensor problems so that

leaves
> >me with needing a rebuild/replacement. If I had a bad speed sensor would

it
> >show up as a trouble code? I have no codes and have had them read twice.
> >

> I guess more information about what's happening would be best. Is it a
> 4x4? IIRC, the sensor for speed is in the tcase, same connector as the
> tcase shift motor.

Well, it's a '99 Ranger Reg Cab, 2WD, 3.0L V6 engine, 4R44E auto trans,
regular open differential, no transfer case, one-piece driveshaft. I don't
even have a repair manual for it yet. Just got it a few weeks ago :-(

Old May 12th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On May 5, 3:46*pm, "Ulysses" > wrote:
> "Richard" > wrote in message

> On May 4, 11:57 am, "Ulysses" > wrote:
>

> > "Richard" > wrote in message

> > > My son's '99 XLS 4.0 (cheaper engine, I think) with 97K miles
> > > has been showing P0171 and P0174 codes for the last several months.
> > > (just came home from college today) He has been getting them reset
> > > (cleared) and after several days they come back on.

> > > Car history: Bought new in '98 and treated well. NO work of any
> > > kind has been required under the hood.

> > > He says it has not affected the performace of his Explorer and it
> > > doesn't have any problems or run rough starting in cold weather. He
> > > also left my Haynes repair manual at school. I think this is the OHV
> > > version? Most if not all of the post refer to the SOHC model.

> > > What should I start to do since he will be home for only a few
> > > days? Any help would be appreciated.

> > > /Richard

> > Here's a place that describes your trouble codes:

> >http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171-Hide quoted text -

> Thank you,
>
> * I will start looking for vacume leaks and clean the MAF first.
> Thanks again.
>
> /Richard
>
> Let's just hope it's as easy to fix as it sounds like :-)- Hide quoted text -

I cleaned the MAF (it didn't look like it needed it) and checked all
of the hose connections I could find. It's been a week now and the
CEL light has stayed off. I wonder if it was the extreme cold/wet
this winter that tripped the light twice? Anyway so far so good!!!!
Old May 13th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mike rock

Good glad to hear its fixed.
By the way, your engine is the 4.0 OHV. Its not "cheaper", it might be
less powerful than the SOHC or the V8, but it is a reliable bullet-
proof engine.
Old May 13th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Mike rock" > wrote in message
> Good glad to hear its fixed.
> By the way, your engine is the 4.0 OHV. Its not "cheaper", it might be
> less powerful than the SOHC or the V8, but it is a reliable bullet-
> proof engine.

Yes! I have three of those engines.

Old May 13th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On May 13, 11:01*am, Mike rock > wrote:
> Good glad to hear its fixed.
> By the way, your engine is the 4.0 OHV. Its not "cheaper", it might be
> less powerful than the SOHC or the V8, but it is a reliable bullet-
> proof engine.

That's good to hear! I hope the light stays off but we will see
in a couple of weeks when he comes back from school. Thanks again
for all of the help.
Old June 10th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On May 13, 1:06*pm, Richard > wrote:
> On May 13, 11:01*am, Mike rock > wrote:
>
> > Good glad to hear its fixed.
> > By the way, your engine is the 4.0 OHV. Its not "cheaper", it might be
> > less powerful than the SOHC or the V8, but it is a reliable bullet-
> > proof engine.

> * * That's good to hear! * I hope the light stays off but we will see
> in a couple of weeks when he comes back from school. * Thanks again
> for all of the help.

It's been over a month and the light has not came back on!!!!!!!

P0171/P0174 Help! Pete C. Technology 42 July 25th 08 04:24 AM
P0171 and P0174 willie Ford Mustang 3 April 20th 07 01:25 AM
Another PO171 situation hvsteve Technology 41 October 22nd 05 05:39 AM
P0171/P0174 codes L300 V6 rufus Saturn 1 August 16th 04 02:35 AM