Hood damage

Old January 3rd 05, 03:52 PM
Todd

Default Hood damage

My new 2005 Kia Sedona LX suffered damage to the hood when a large
block of
ice flew off the car's roof in front of me slamming into my hood. The
damage is small ripples in the metal about 6 inches long. There was no
damage to the paint and it is hard to see unless you are looking at a
reflection in the surface.

I took it to a body shop and they wanted to glaze/putty the ripples and
repaint to hood which I would prefer not to do.

Does anyone know if those paintless dent removal places can remove
small ripples? Here is a photo of the damage, it appears in the photo
that there is a large dent between the washer nozzle and the windshield
but it is just a reflection. The ripples are all there is.

http://www.reflectionsoftime.us/hood3.jpg
http://www.reflectionsoftime.us/hood4.jpg

Todd

Old January 3rd 05, 04:10 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 3 Jan 2005 07:52:03 -0800, "Todd" > wrote:

>My new 2005 Kia Sedona LX suffered damage to the hood when a large
>block of
>ice flew off the car's roof in front of me slamming into my hood. The
>damage is small ripples in the metal about 6 inches long. There was no
>damage to the paint and it is hard to see unless you are looking at a
>reflection in the surface.
>
>I took it to a body shop and they wanted to glaze/putty the ripples and
>repaint to hood which I would prefer not to do.
>
>Does anyone know if those paintless dent removal places can remove
>small ripples? Here is a photo of the damage, it appears in the photo
>that there is a large dent between the washer nozzle and the windshield
>but it is just a reflection. The ripples are all there is.
>
>http://www.reflectionsoftime.us/hood3.jpg
>http://www.reflectionsoftime.us/hood4.jpg
>
>Todd

I've already put a nice dent in my right rear quarter panel when a
ladder in my garage fell over and landed on the car ;-\

Otoh, THAT I don't have to look at everytime I look out the window
such as in your case.

Me, I would forgetabout it.

Lg

Old January 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

They might be able to, but there seem to be a number of ripples and --
it's hard to tell from the photos -- the one just aft of the windshield
squirter looks creased, though at least the paint didn't crack (or at
least it looks like it didn't; and that's a big deal).

I'd guess that it's marginal. See, the trouble is that the metal gets
stretched, so you run the risk of popping out a dimple only to get a
pimple. The more skilled the paintless dent guy, the better this
phenomenon can be minimized. The bigger the dent, the worse. Edges are
also supposed to be problematic for paintless dent techniques. And of
course it's in a highly visible area (especially to you, since
psychologically you're going to find it hard not to look at!).

Also be sure to ask about the cost basis for their estimate -- it might
wind up being in the neighborhood of conventional bodywork, if they
have to spend a lot of time doing many things over a large area.

I'd say, show it to a reputable local paintless dent popper but save up
for the body shop. Or else wave it off as the sort of battle damage
that "drivers" rather than pampered garage pets are bound to suffer,
and be glad it was the hood and not the windshield...

Cheers,
--Joe

Old January 3rd 05, 06:52 PM
Todd

Thanks for the info, no paint damage at all. There is a local car
dealer who uses Dent Wizard and I will start there. It did hit the
windshield also and I thought it was going to shatter it hit so hard!
My wife thinks I am being way to picky and too forget about it. The
poor thing only has 3000 miles :-(

Todd

Old January 3rd 05, 07:09 PM
C. E. White

Damage from flying object is often covered by a
comprehensive policy (not the collision policy). This might
allow you to have the repair paid for by your insurance
100%, if you don't have a high deductible on the
comprehensive.

Ed

Old January 4th 05, 08:37 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Todd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the info, no paint damage at all. There is a local car
> dealer who uses Dent Wizard and I will start there.

One of the big secrets of the paintless dent removal is that the quality of
the finished job is directly proportional to the amount of time spent on it.

A friend of mine's brother got into doing this as a side. He quickly found
that only the high-dollar cars were worth working on because the owners of
all the grocery getters all wanted miracles for the price of peanuts.

A good paintless dent guy, given the time, can get it back to the
point that it's impossible to tell where the dent was. But compared to
the cost of a -good- repaint, it's still cheaper.

Ted

Old January 4th 05, 11:36 AM

> the grocery getters all wanted miracles for the price of
> peanuts.

These types make my 'Top Ten' list of people I don't like to deal
with.. I've experienced them way too much..

Jim

Old January 4th 05, 12:55 PM
C. E. White

I have a Saturn Vue. Even though much of the car is covered
in plastic, the hood is not. I recently had the windshield
replaced (a big rock hit it). While they were replacing the
windshield, the "guys" manged to put a dent in the hood. I
also had a small dent on the side of the hood from a bird
strike. The windshield folks admitted the damage, but wanted
to have the hood redone completely. I resisted and took it
to the local Dent Wizard. They removed all the dents in the
hood perfectly. I can't tell you where they were, there is
no evidence of the work at all. I was very happy. I paid $95
for the bird strike. The glass company paid $135 for their
damage. This is a fraction of the cost of refinishing the
entire hood (and probably having it not match, if not now,
later).

Ed