Repair and parts manuals

Old November 27th 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Usual suspect

Default Repair and parts manuals

I have owned a 1999 Dodge Intrepid since it was a new car. I bought a
hard copy of the parts manual years ago for about $100. It is
incomplete and Dodge wants me to pop for another hundred for a
supplement. I am thinking of buying a new car and wonder if there are
any manufacturers who make repair and service information available to
owners on CD's or dvd's. If all else fails, I will look for a restored
pre computer car. Suggestions?? I am not interested in buying another
disposable, un repairable car.
Old November 28th 10, 07:30 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Steve Newman

I know where you can down a copy of the 2000 (similar to 1999) Intrepid
service manual, powertrain diagnostic manual and the body diagnostic manual
if you're interested. Drop me an email.

Old November 28th 10, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Usual suspect wrote:
> I have owned a 1999 Dodge Intrepid since it was a new car. I bought a
> hard copy of the parts manual years ago for about $100. It is
> incomplete and Dodge wants me to pop for another hundred for a
> supplement. I am thinking of buying a new car and wonder if there are
> any manufacturers who make repair and service information available to
> owners on CD's or dvd's. If all else fails, I will look for a restored
> pre computer car. Suggestions?? I am not interested in buying another
> disposable, un repairable car.

The complete lack of availability (according to the dealers) of service manuals
for Kias is one reason I ended up with a Dodge.

Old November 28th 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

On 11/27/2010 4:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:
> I have owned a 1999 Dodge Intrepid since it was a new car. I bought a
> hard copy of the parts manual years ago for about $100. It is
> incomplete and Dodge wants me to pop for another hundred for a
> supplement. I am thinking of buying a new car and wonder if there are
> any manufacturers who make repair and service information available to
> owners on CD's or dvd's.

Yeah, All of them.

If all else fails, I will look for a restored
> pre computer car. Suggestions?? I am not interested in buying another
> disposable, un repairable car.

And dopey theories aside, new models are dramatically better in
reliability and longevity than the "good old days".

Old November 29th 10, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Usual suspect

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:48:39 -0500, "Tony D." >
wrote:

>On 11/27/2010 4:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:
>> I have owned a 1999 Dodge Intrepid since it was a new car. I bought a
>> hard copy of the parts manual years ago for about $100. It is
>> incomplete and Dodge wants me to pop for another hundred for a
>> supplement. I am thinking of buying a new car and wonder if there are
>> any manufacturers who make repair and service information available to
>> owners on CD's or dvd's.

>Yeah, All of them.
>
>If all else fails, I will look for a restored
>> pre computer car. Suggestions?? I am not interested in buying another
>> disposable, un repairable car.

>And dopey theories aside, new models are dramatically better in
>reliability and longevity than the "good old days".

The Dodge Intrepid has been the most reliable and dependable car I
have ever owned. It also came close to being an orphan like the
Studebaker Golden Hawk I once owned. Been there, done that. Without
service information any machine can become a throw away piece of crap
when it stops working.
Old November 29th 10, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

On 11/28/2010 9:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:48:39 -0500, "Tony >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/27/2010 4:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:
>>> I have owned a 1999 Dodge Intrepid since it was a new car. I bought a
>>> hard copy of the parts manual years ago for about $100. It is
>>> incomplete and Dodge wants me to pop for another hundred for a
>>> supplement. I am thinking of buying a new car and wonder if there are
>>> any manufacturers who make repair and service information available to
>>> owners on CD's or dvd's.

>> Yeah, All of them.
>>
>> If all else fails, I will look for a restored
>>> pre computer car. Suggestions?? I am not interested in buying another
>>> disposable, un repairable car.

>> And dopey theories aside, new models are dramatically better in
>> reliability and longevity than the "good old days".

> The Dodge Intrepid has been the most reliable and dependable car I
> have ever owned. It also came close to being an orphan like the
> Studebaker Golden Hawk I once owned. Been there, done that. Without
> service information any machine can become a throw away piece of crap
> when it stops working.

The "orphan" would have to be supported by the mfg for 10 years after
production ceases. And a unit produced in Intrepid volumes would have
3rd party parts support for years after that. Beyond that it might be
time to throw it away. Full manuals many times run $300 or more, but
many forums have the cd contents available to d/l.
Old December 18th 10, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dick Cheney[_5_]

"Tony D." > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2010 9:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:48:39 -0500, "Tony >
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, All of them.
>>>
>>> If all else fails, I will look for a restored
>>>
>>> And dopey theories aside, new models are dramatically better in
>>> reliability and longevity than the "good old days".

>> The Dodge Intrepid has been the most reliable and dependable car I
>> have ever owned. It also came close to being an orphan like the
>> Studebaker Golden Hawk I once owned. Been there, done that. Without
>> service information any machine can become a throw away piece of crap
>> when it stops working.

> The "orphan" would have to be supported by the mfg for 10 years after
> production ceases.

Absolutely wrong. There is no requirement for a manufacturer to "support"
their vehicles for any length of time. I remember trying to get some Ford
parts for a car that was 6-7 years old and they weren't available.

Don't know where this got started but it has no basis in fact.

Old December 18th 10, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 06:29:54 -0800, "Dick Cheney"
> wrote:

>"Tony D." > wrote in message
>> On 11/28/2010 9:17 PM, Usual suspect wrote:

>>> The Dodge Intrepid has been the most reliable and dependable car I
>>> have ever owned. It also came close to being an orphan like the
>>> Studebaker Golden Hawk I once owned. Been there, done that. Without
>>> service information any machine can become a throw away piece of crap
>>> when it stops working.

>> The "orphan" would have to be supported by the mfg for 10 years after
>> production ceases.

>Absolutely wrong. There is no requirement for a manufacturer to "support"
>their vehicles for any length of time. I remember trying to get some Ford
>parts for a car that was 6-7 years old and they weren't available.
>
>Don't know where this got started but it has no basis in fact.

At one time it WAS a requirement that parts be made available for X
number of years, but that ended somewhere in the late sixties.
And for an "orphan" that wouldn't matter anyway - the manufacturer is
no mor, parts availability is no longer the manufacturer's
responsibility.