Vanagon Intercooler???

Old July 27th 05, 05:23 PM
Mike

Default Vanagon Intercooler???

I've got an '82 Westy with an '84 1.6L turbo diesel engine I'd like to get a
little more power out of with an intercooler.

Has anyone installed an intercooler in one of these or know where and what
size might fit?

thanks,
Mike

Old July 29th 05, 07:14 PM
Remco Meeder

Mike wrote:
> I've got an '82 Westy with an '84 1.6L turbo diesel engine I'd like to get a
> little more power out of with an intercooler.
>
> Has anyone installed an intercooler in one of these or know where and what
> size might fit?

With just the intercooler you are not there, you need to adjust te boost
as well and the pump delivery.
But some wacky Germans got 100kW (=136 hp) out of a 1.6 liter td engine
running on vegetable oil...

Remco
Old August 2nd 05, 03:35 PM
Mike

gotta love them german thought processes

hmmm. adjust the boost you say? down since the charge is denser?
would the pump delivery be adjusted via the pump timing or are we talking
volume too?
i'm thinking more fuel?
man! if i could get 136hp in my 6000 lb. loaded westfalia.....what a dream
but then i'll need a better handling suspension setup
yesss, i'm doin' it
now, where the hell is that thing gonna fit?
bigger IS better right?

hey thanks for the insights, it always helps
mike

Old August 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
Remco Meeder

Mike wrote:
> gotta love them german thought processes
>
> hmmm. adjust the boost you say? down since the charge is denser?
> would the pump delivery be adjusted via the pump timing or are we talking
> volume too?
> i'm thinking more fuel?
> man! if i could get 136hp in my 6000 lb. loaded westfalia.....what a dream
> but then i'll need a better handling suspension setup
> yesss, i'm doin' it
> now, where the hell is that thing gonna fit?
> bigger IS better right?
>
> hey thanks for the insights, it always helps
> mike
>
> "Remco Meeder" > wrote in message
>
>>Mike wrote:
>>
>>>I've got an '82 Westy with an '84 1.6L turbo diesel engine I'd like to

> get a
>
>>>little more power out of with an intercooler.
>>>
>>>Has anyone installed an intercooler in one of these or know where and

> what
>
>>>size might fit?
>>>

>>With just the intercooler you are not there, you need to adjust te boost
>>as well and the pump delivery.
>>But some wacky Germans got 100kW (=136 hp) out of a 1.6 liter td engine
>>running on vegetable oil...
>>
>>Remco

The boost adjustment is to account for the fact that you put a
intercooler in there, it restricts the flow a little and you get an
increased volume in all the air tubes which causes a pressure drop, the
adjustment is for that purpose.

Remco