89 GT monster mods

Old April 24th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 89 GT monster mods

I just got a beauty 89 GT 5spd. Its got 150k on it and wanna just swap
it out. Brainstorming ideas of what to do. Since Im gonna get a
different shortblock and spending the money I figured why not just get
a 408W stroker? The only things Im worried about are compatibility
issues. It has an aftermarket cervinis cobra type hood on it with about
an extra inch of clearance. But with a Windsor what kind of intake
options do I have? Will it take any EFI intake that would go on a 5.0
?? Would the computer need to be replaced or reprogrammed? As far as I
know the 5.0 and Windsor have the same tranny bolt patterns and same
engine mounts.

And then later on would supercharge it. Dream complete.

Informed opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Old April 25th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote:
> I just got a beauty 89 GT 5spd. Its got 150k on it and wanna just swap
> it out. Brainstorming ideas of what to do. Since Im gonna get a
> different shortblock and spending the money I figured why not just get
> a 408W stroker? The only things Im worried about are compatibility
> issues. It has an aftermarket cervinis cobra type hood on it with about
> an extra inch of clearance. But with a Windsor what kind of intake
> options do I have? Will it take any EFI intake that would go on a 5.0
> ?? Would the computer need to be replaced or reprogrammed? As far as I
> know the 5.0 and Windsor have the same tranny bolt patterns and same
> engine mounts.
>
> And then later on would supercharge it. Dream complete.
>
> Informed opinions would be appreciated. Thanks,

The 351W will bolt in place of the 302W. Motor mounts and trans are the same.
Headers are available, but it's a tight fit and kind of a bear to work on. The 8.8
diff will withstand a lot of power. Engine weights are close enough to not be an issue.

But here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Front accessory brackets are differant.
- You'll need a bigger radiator.
- You'll have to rework the suspension and brakes to handle the power.
- The stock T5 has to go. You'll need a TKO 500 or 600.
- An auto trans will work great, but needs to be seriously beefed up.
- Any intake big enough to feed 408 cubes at 6,500 rpm's won't fit under your hood.
- Stock computer can be made to work with something like a Tweecer.
- It won't pass emissions.
- It would suck fuel like there's a hole in the tank.
- It would be real fun to build.
- It would be really cool to drive.

Have you considered a well built 347? 400+hp without a blower is fairly common.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old April 25th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote
>Will it take any EFI intake that would go on a 5.0
> ?? Would the computer need to be replaced or reprogrammed? As far as I
> know the 5.0 and Windsor have the same tranny bolt patterns and same
> engine mounts.

Same mounts and if you could get ahold of a Lightning lower intake manifold
and EEC that would be the way to go. NO the manifolds are NOT
interchangeable. The 351W is an inch wider. Just go to the local
Checker/Schucks/Kragen speed shop and look at them on the wall. You can tell
just by looking at them the 351 is wider than the 289/302.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302