Barometric pressure sensor question 1993 mustang 5.0

Old July 12th 05, 09:11 PM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

Default Barometric pressure sensor question 1993 mustang 5.0

Does the 1991-1993 MAF fuel injection system include a barometric
pressure sensor, or is that only a feature of the earlier MAP type fuel
injection?
Old July 12th 05, 11:49 PM
Musttanguy

They all use a MAP sensor, the earlier is connected by hose to intake
while the later is vented to the atmosphere

Old July 13th 05, 01:35 AM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

Thank you.

I have a custom install that I am trying to sort out. It uses a MAF
sensor and a 1993 A3M computer. There is a jumper between the anti fuel
relay and the eec power relay. I assume that is to defeat the gas shut-off.

My son and I tracked down the wiring from a mustang wiring diagram. The
engine is the forged piston year... i believe earlier than the wiring.

The wiring for the lower portion like engine coolant sensor, throttle
position, EGR valve position, barometric pressure, sensors all come from
the 1989-90 diagram.

The wiring to the computer for the upper part of the diagram comes from
the 1991-93 wiring diagram. fuel pump relay, canister purge, injectors,
MAF sensor, etc.

The engine is not running well, and I am trying to figure out what I
have and how to diagnose it. I just went through all the wiring to make
sure all connections and wire were good. Now I am back to tracking down
issues.

My original question you answered was regarding a local mechanic that
looked under my hood. He said that there should not be a barometric
sensor on the MAF engine. Obviously that gives you an idea of what I am
dealing with locally.

I am trying to do the work myself at this point. The motor is in a 1975
bronco. I sometimes go off-roading and worry something may shake loose
and I would have no idea what to expect. At this point, I know most of
the elements, now I just need to figure what to fix.

The mustang wiring is only wired with four wires to the bronco. Other
than that the system is self contained. I just have to figure out some
problems.

- low power
- rich fuel
- high idle
- if gas punched or revved at all, it does not idle down very quickly

Those are some of my problems. I am still looking for local mechanical
assistance, but I am trying to support local mechanic with this news
group. I appreciate any thought my mechanic look more closely at.

The mustang motor is all stock except for a 4° cam advance to lower the
torque.... stock cam, forged heads, in-tank mustang fuel pump. I am
using the old bronco pulleys, water pump and such. Made the conversion
easier.

Well, thanks again for your answer. The mechanic will help I am sure.
It's not the type of work mechanics generally seek out. Not much profit
involved. He is just going to give me a couple hours and check some
things. If I can suggest something from this message board, all the
better. I can certainly check many things myself.

Lawson

eec power relay fuel Relay anti fuel relay

Old July 13th 05, 01:37 AM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

I know you are correct as I was wondering if something had become
disconnected when I found the open connection. I checked the mustang
book that said it was a vent. You have backed up that idea. thanks.

Old July 13th 05, 02:01 AM
David M

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:35:29 -0500, Lawson[rem0ve]news rearranged some
electrons to form:

> Thank you.
>
> I have a custom install that I am trying to sort out. It uses a MAF
> sensor and a 1993 A3M computer. There is a jumper between the anti fuel
> relay and the eec power relay. I assume that is to defeat the gas shut-off.
>
> My son and I tracked down the wiring from a mustang wiring diagram. The
> engine is the forged piston year... i believe earlier than the wiring.
>
> The wiring for the lower portion like engine coolant sensor, throttle
> position, EGR valve position, barometric pressure, sensors all come from
> the 1989-90 diagram.
>
> The wiring to the computer for the upper part of the diagram comes from
> the 1991-93 wiring diagram. fuel pump relay, canister purge, injectors,
> MAF sensor, etc.
>
> The engine is not running well, and I am trying to figure out what I
> have and how to diagnose it. I just went through all the wiring to make
> sure all connections and wire were good. Now I am back to tracking down
> issues.
>
> My original question you answered was regarding a local mechanic that
> looked under my hood. He said that there should not be a barometric
> sensor on the MAF engine. Obviously that gives you an idea of what I am
> dealing with locally.
>
> I am trying to do the work myself at this point. The motor is in a 1975
> bronco. I sometimes go off-roading and worry something may shake loose
> and I would have no idea what to expect. At this point, I know most of
> the elements, now I just need to figure what to fix.
>
> The mustang wiring is only wired with four wires to the bronco. Other
> than that the system is self contained. I just have to figure out some
> problems.
>
> - low power
> - rich fuel
> - high idle
> - if gas punched or revved at all, it does not idle down very quickly
>
> Those are some of my problems. I am still looking for local mechanical
> assistance, but I am trying to support local mechanic with this news
> group. I appreciate any thought my mechanic look more closely at.
>
> The mustang motor is all stock except for a 4° cam advance to lower the
> torque.... stock cam, forged heads, in-tank mustang fuel pump. I am
> using the old bronco pulleys, water pump and such. Made the conversion
> easier.
>
> Well, thanks again for your answer. The mechanic will help I am sure.
> It's not the type of work mechanics generally seek out. Not much profit
> involved. He is just going to give me a couple hours and check some
> things. If I can suggest something from this message board, all the
> better. I can certainly check many things myself.
>
> Lawson

any codes?

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old July 13th 05, 03:14 AM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

What codes are you referring to? Sorry, I am learning as I go.

Lp

Old July 13th 05, 11:44 PM
David M

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:14:37 -0500, Lawson[rem0ve]news rearranged some
electrons to form:

> What codes are you referring to? Sorry, I am learning as I go.
>
> Lp

Trouble codes from the computer.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 23 days 12:56

Old July 14th 05, 03:10 PM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

I took it to a mechanic at one point who said he was having difficulty
reading the codes. He needed some information that he did not have. As I
recall, he needed to punch in some information to get the codes he
needed. I am unfamiliar with what a diagnostic computer requires to
access codes from the engines computer. My latest knowledge is that the
computer is a 1993, but I don't know if that is all they need. If you
read my long post, you will see that this is not the typical mustang
install. Any thoughts.

Old July 14th 05, 04:29 PM
Lawson[rem0ve]news

I read the link to the trouble codes and the EEC-IV testing. I don't
understand what troubles my mechanic would have been having. I am going
to drop by and ask him if he recalls. It sounds pretty straight forward
from what I have read in your link. Is it possible that my system would
not output codes? As I recall he needed to know some specific
information about the car, engine, or computer that was not immediately
apparent to him. The people that installed the wiring said that it
should plug into any diagnostic with no problem. I do understand more
thanks to your post. It looks like I should focus on getting those
readings. Is there anything you can think of that would effect whether
those readings are available? For something that seems simple, my
mechanic seemed confused.

A company that is no longer installed my wiring and computer. They said
it would work just like mustang.

My mechanic is a local man who seems to have good experience, but was
not having any luck getting codes. I am not sure why.

Lawson

Old July 25th 05, 02:21 AM
Backyard Mechanic

"Lawson[rem0ve]news" > wrote in

> I know you are correct as I was wondering if something had become
> disconnected when I found the open connection. I checked the mustang
> book that said it was a vent. You have backed up that idea. thanks.
>
> Musttanguy wrote:
>
>>They all use a MAP sensor, the earlier is connected by hose to intake
>>while the later is vented to the atmosphere

Let's make this perfectly clear:

The Speed Density engines DONT have a MAF and use the term MAP for manifold
pressure and they have a tube to a vacuum port.

The MAF configurations use the same part, but called BAP without a tube and
it measures atmospheric pressure.