woofer

Old September 14th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Art McGinn

Default woofer

It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the sound system
of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to expose the two
small speakers there, both identical in size. Are these woofers or tweeters
or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in the door panels? Any suggestions on
where to buy replacement speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

Old September 14th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Art McGinn" > wrote in
:

> It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the
> sound system
> of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to
> expose the two small speakers there, both identical in size. Are
> these woofers or tweeters or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in
> the door panels? Any suggestions on where to buy replacement
> speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

I believe the headrest speakers are both woofer and tweeter but mostly
midrange.

Check miata.net as to which speakers work well and then take a look at
crutchfield.com to purchase them.
Old September 14th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

Art McGinn wrote:
> It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the sound system
> of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to expose the two
> small speakers there, both identical in size. Are these woofers or tweeters
> or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in the door panels? Any suggestions on
> where to buy replacement speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

If your '91 is like mine was you will probably find that the door
speakers (not really woofers, they are simply larger midrange speakers
with "whizzer" cones) have started to rot away, primarily at the
edge/surround. I replaced mine with real 3-way speakers from Sony and
the sound was better-than-new.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old September 15th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:57:17 -0700, "Art McGinn"
> wrote:

> It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the sound system
>of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to expose the two
>small speakers there, both identical in size. Are these woofers or tweeters
>or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in the door panels? Any suggestions on
>where to buy replacement speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

my headrest speakers (circa 1'90) buzz on the lower notes nowadays -
partly because they're old (and probably rated no lower than 100Hz on
the bottom end if that) and partly because with a CD player i'm
getting more dynamic range as input. but my door speakers were
repleced witf infinity's by the previous owner so i tend to fade the
headrests out a bit.

the stock miata speakers are all single cones intended to cover the
entire musical range (within limitations), so there is no woofer or
tweeter as such.

check miata.net for recommendations & i'd try ebay first to see if you
can find what you want at a decent price there. i think you can get
the crutchfields for $120 there.

----------

"i can spell. i just can't type."
Old September 17th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Art McGinn

Thanks for the good advice. Barry, you hit it on the decibel -- a low
note from a standup bass rumbles like the speaker is wax paper but Streisand
in high range comes through pretty well. Old those speakers are, and so am
I. Cheers, Art

Old September 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
L Bader

Listed below is the "solution" I have implemented on my '97:

- Kenwood Exelon MP3 capable head unit
- Sony 3-1/2 "Xcelon" speakers in the headrest
- Kenwood 6-3/4 component speakers w/1-in tweeters in the door.

The speakers, though different brands are matched for SPL and RMS
power.

The head unit was selected because I can cut ALL frequencies below 150
Hz going to the rear (headrest) channels.

This allows for clear, clean sound at 80 mph with the top down and no
windblocker.

- L

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:57:17 -0700, "Art McGinn"
> wrote:

> It's starting to sound like I've got a woofer problem in the sound system
>of my '91. I peeled back the headrest on the driver's side to expose the two
>small speakers there, both identical in size. Are these woofers or tweeters
>or both? If tweeters, are the woofers in the door panels? Any suggestions on
>where to buy replacement speakers? Thanks for any input. Art

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //