To trickle or Not Trickle! please help a battery noobie with a 12v Gel battery question

Old May 5th 05, 09:36 AM
Loren Eggert

maybe its the alzheimer's kicking in. AC with DC offset
Loren Eggert
BS CompE Purdue University

Old May 5th 05, 02:42 PM

"Loren Eggert" > wrote in message
> maybe its the alzheimer's kicking in. AC with DC offset
> Loren Eggert
> BS CompE Purdue University

Unfortunately, I used that terminology also. AC impressed on DC is just
adds a ripple to the DC, right?

Some battery chargers used half wave rectifiers, others
full wave, but there was no need to filter the ripple for
battery charging applications.

If one allows a little leakage during the cutoff cycle of a halfwave
rectifier, then the effect is to have a greatly displaced alternating
current, but one which may be largely in one direction. For example, you
could have 99.9% of the current flowing in one direction and 0.1% in the
other direction. Not 'pure' direct current, but approaching it on
a practical basis.

This supposedly helped prevent polarization at the electrode surfaces and
improved the charge.

Am I completely off base?

Old May 5th 05, 03:51 PM
rutman

sorry guys to butt in, but i am still confused with the original
question./

Should I charge my battery slowly at 2amp over several long hours.. or
charge it fast at 10amp or 15amp?

Old May 5th 05, 04:02 PM
Mike Romain

What brand of battery is it?

Some 'gel' batteries will die very quickly if charged too fast.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 5th 05, 05:19 PM
rutman

Hi thanks for the reply

its a deep cycle Gel battery.

made by Napa Auto parts

the only number i see stamped on the battery that might resemble a
model number is " TYPE AGU1"

Old May 5th 05, 06:04 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:19:39 GMT, rutman > wrote:

>Hi thanks for the reply
>
>its a deep cycle Gel battery.
>
>made by Napa Auto parts
>

>the only number i see stamped on the battery that might resemble a
>model number is " TYPE AGU1"

What will happen with a *smart* charger when you use hi current on a
gel cell, is it will feed hi current in spurts if you select the AGM,
GEL CELL switch position.

If you select low current it charges continuously. At say around 2
amperes. How do I know? I measured the f*in thing. That's how I
know. It ain't theory, it's the way the thing works.

So you can spend $16 at WalMart, and buy the Vector 2 amp smart
charger, rated for 2 amperes, and it will first read the state of
charge, then begin -forcing- 2 amperes through the battery, and when
the battery is up to voltage, indicating full charge, it turns itself
off.

So go to Wally world, part with the $16, and your problems are over.

Model VC080

It looks like a little brick, with no buttons on it, just a cord going
to the battery, and another going to a wall outlet.

Lg

Old May 5th 05, 06:07 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 5 May 2005 03:36:23 -0500, "Loren Eggert" >
wrote:

>maybe its the alzheimer's kicking in. AC with DC offset
>Loren Eggert
>BS CompE Purdue University

What does your doctor say it is.
I don't give a damn what you call it, it's the same ****in thing.

Would you like a
Bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich
or
we also have
the letuce bacon and tomato sandwich

and for a little more money,
you can get the tomato bacon and lettuce sandwich.

yer ****in nuts. stay at the university. The real world will gobble
you up alive.

Lg

Old May 5th 05, 08:19 PM
Brian

Your battery will like you better if you charge it slowly. 2 amps is better
than 10 amps.

No comment on whether DC with an AC component is "pure" DC or not. I do
have a little Shumacher charger that I am quite impressed with, and I also
have a tiny little "transformer lump" charger that cost a bomb and is
specifically designed to charge gel cells. It charges at 14.5 volts until
the battery is charged, and then goes to 13.7 volts for long term storage.
Judging by it's size I would be very surprised if it can charge at more than
half an amp or so.

Brian

Old May 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Mike Romain

My only experience with gel batteries were 6 volt ones and they had to
be trickle charged. I would only do that until I phoned Napa and asked
them about it. If they don't know then I still figure better safe than
sorry.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 5th 05, 10:38 PM
Steve

rutman wrote:

> sorry guys to butt in, but i am still confused with the original
> question./
>

> Should I charge my battery slowly at 2amp over several long hours.. or
> charge it fast at 10amp or 15amp?

In general, slow charging is better for batteries than fast charging.
But as has been pointed out, modern automated battery chargers exist
specifically for deep-cycle batteries and will apply a charging profile
that brings them up quicker than slow charging without harming them.

Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM
Is an Onboard Trickle Charger useful for a Car Battery.. Denny B General 0 February 7th 04 06:28 AM