Clunking sound

Old July 7th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default Clunking sound

Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the
wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.

My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension
bushings might be breaking down.

Any thoughts?
Old July 9th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Alan Baker wrote:
> Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the
> wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.
>
> My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension
> bushings might be breaking down.
>
> Any thoughts?

Is there any difference in the sound depending on if it is a left or
right turn during braking? Also, has the car changed as far as handling?
One more question, does the amount of braking force affect the sound?

16-17 years is definitely enough time to take a toll on any of the
rubber bushings.

My first place to look would be the front sway bar. I fixed one miata
that actually had a broken bracket and was still driving decently with
the left side sway bar end hanging down, but it was making a very loud
clunk sound. It may be as simple as replacing your front sway bar bushings.
Second place to check would be the brakes, especially if the car is
driving normally.

After checking those, and assuming that the shocks are not completely
shot, I would jack up the front of the car and see if there is any play
in the wheels to indicate a bearing going bad and check to see if the
steering is loose anywhere, especially at the links.

Finally, I would get in there with a pry bar and carefully put some
force on the upper and lower A-arms to see if they have excessive
bushing play.
There is also a small possibility of the bushing going bad at one or
both of the shock mounts, though I do not know how you would check this
without removing the assembly from the car.

Most of these problems would also affect your alignment, BTW. Are your
tires wearing normally? (ok, that's 4 questions)

Pat
Old July 9th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

pws wrote:
> Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the
>> wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.
>>
>> My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension
>> bushings might be breaking down.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

For some reason I thought that your post said the sound was coming from
the front. Can you tell where the sound is located?

Another possibility that is very easy to check is play in the the
driveshaft U-Joints.

Good luck,

Pat
Old July 10th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> pws wrote:
> > Alan Baker wrote:
> >
> >> Lately, as I'm coming to a stop under braking -- particularly if the
> >> wheels are turned -- I hear a little clunk or two.
> >>
> >> My Miata is a 1990, and I'm wondering whether some of the suspension
> >> bushings might be breaking down.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?

> For some reason I thought that your post said the sound was coming from
> the front. Can you tell where the sound is located?
>
> Another possibility that is very easy to check is play in the the
> driveshaft U-Joints.

Thanks for all the thoughts, Pat. I'll get checking and report back!
Old July 11th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Alan Baker wrote:

> Thanks for all the thoughts, Pat. I'll get checking and report back!

You thank me now, but if the problem is still there after all of that
looking, you will probably be cursing me. ;-)

Pat