91 Honda Accord Engine Head Swap

Old May 16th 04, 08:43 PM
gusdog

Default 91 Honda Accord Engine Head Swap

I have a 1991 Honda Accord EX with a 2.2L SOHC 16 Valve EFI engine
that just blows big clouds of Blue Smoke the fist time that it is
started each day. When I bought the car the guy had already warmed it
up so I never suspected anything. He did mention that the timing belt
had broken and he had changed it along w/ a few valves. I have a
really good feeling that the head needs new guides and I am hoping to
find a replacement head for this car. I am finding several different
head types for this year. f22, f22a1 and so on and so forth. I did
find one that for a reasonable price but is a f22 which from research
says that it is a DOHC. Will this work on my car? And do I need to do
any conversions or buy any extra parts?
Old May 17th 04, 12:59 AM
Dick C

gusdog wrote in rec.autos.misc

> I have a 1991 Honda Accord EX with a 2.2L SOHC 16 Valve EFI engine
> that just blows big clouds of Blue Smoke the fist time that it is
> started each day. When I bought the car the guy had already warmed it
> up so I never suspected anything. He did mention that the timing belt
> had broken and he had changed it along w/ a few valves. I have a
> really good feeling that the head needs new guides and I am hoping to
> find a replacement head for this car. I am finding several different
> head types for this year. f22, f22a1 and so on and so forth. I did
> find one that for a reasonable price but is a f22 which from research
> says that it is a DOHC. Will this work on my car? And do I need to do
> any conversions or buy any extra parts?

While I can't say absolutely, the short answer is no, you cannot use
the DOHC head. You have a Single Overhead Cam engine, and the other
head is a Double OHC, which means that it has 2 cams in it, instead of
one. I am not sure how much work would need to be done to the engine
to make it fit, but quite likely alot.
Since your problem is worn valve guides, just pull the head and have
those fixed. You shouldn't need a whole new head just for that.

--
Dick #1349
~Benjamin Franklin

Home Page: dickcr.iwarp.com