Jeep Stalling

Old February 18th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Jeep Stalling

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has
started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when
the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off.
Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to
wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while
driving at higway speeds [so far!].
Does this sound like CPS issue?
thanks

Old February 18th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That could easily be the bad connection on the CPS issue. The best
cleaner for the computer signal plug is electronic contact cleaner but
WD40 will work in a pinch.

The CPS is on the drivers side bell housing and the plug is either on
the intake manifold or over above the dipstick I hear on some. You can
just follow the wires to get to it anyway.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 18th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"sant" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has
> started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when
> the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off.
> Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to
> wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while
> driving at higway speeds [so far!].
> Does this sound like CPS issue?
> thanks

our 96 grand cherokee would stall at idle intermittently.It was due to the
tourqe converter staying locked.We changed the transmission filter and
solved the problem.We usually wind up having to change the filter every
1 -1.5 years.

Old February 18th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Where is the transmission filter? Is it in the transmission?
I looked on my alldata for filters but didnt hit transmission, does it have another name?

thx,

Air Filter Element
Air Filter Element
Crankcase Filter
Crankcase Filter
Crankcase Vent Filter
Crankcase Vent Filter
Evaporative Canister Filter
Evaporative Canister Filter
Fluid Filter - A/T
Fluid Filter - Transfer Case
Fluid Filter - Transfer Case
Fluid Filter - Transfer Case, Connector
Fluid Filter - Transfer Case, Tube
Fuel Filter
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Pickup Filter
Oil Filter
Oil Filter
Filters

Old February 18th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The filter is internal to the automatic tranny. Parts stores sell them.

If the auto tranny is the issue, dropping it to neutral will avoid the
trouble, but it still should start right back up.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 18th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes: http://www.wjjeeps.com/trans_filter_5013470ac.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 18th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On 18 Feb 2006 08:52:25 -0800, "sant" >
wrote:

>I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has
>started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when
>the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off.
>Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to
>wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while
>driving at higway speeds [so far!].
>Does this sound like CPS issue?
>thanks

Could be CPS or could be your fuel pump is going (not unheard of at
100,000+ miles)
Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old February 19th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On 18 Feb 2006 08:52:25 -0800 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,
"sant" > wrote,
>I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has
>started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when
>the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off.
>Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to
>wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try.

Exactly the same symptom as my '84 CJ7. Turned out to be the
ignition module. Tested bad on the tester at Auto Zone. No problem
since replacing it.

>It has never stalled while driving at higway speeds [so far!].

Mine did!

>Does this sound like CPS issue?

Could be lots of things.

Old February 19th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

while the engine is running spray water on it and look for sparks if u find
some replace the wires if not then there is a good chance the crank sensor
is going bad

Old February 19th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

sant wrote:
> I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with about 158K miles. recently it has
> started stalling after i drive for a while. It has never stalled when
> the engine is cold. When it stalls, the engine just shuts off.
> Sometimes it would start right away. but on occasions i would have to
> wait for about 5 mts before i give it a try. It has never stalled while
> driving at higway speeds [so far!].
> Does this sound like CPS issue?
> thanks

I had a similar problem with my 97 TJ, and it was the ignition
switch

jeep stalling weslaw 4x4 4 February 2nd 06 05:13 PM
Stalling problem with 2003 Jeep Liberty kc Jeep 6 January 24th 06 03:27 AM
YJ Breaks down - Bad Triple AAA Experience. Lou Boncek Jeep 9 December 18th 05 10:55 PM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM