Government Motors Motor Oil

Old April 29th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Government Motors Motor Oil

"ben91932" > wrote in message

>> And of course GM gets a royalty from each sale of "their" proprietary
>> standard.

> Yea... what kind of a country would allow a company to develop a new
> product and profit from it... sheesh..

You dont know that they did, in fact, develop a new product.

As Nate mentioned, there are laws to prevent tying one product or service
to another, as IBM found out some years ago. Although normally restraint
of trade
issues are not rigidly dealt with anymore.

There have been enough reasons in the past not to buy GM products. This
may
be a minor one, but they DO add up.

Old April 30th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"hls" > wrote in message >
> As Nate mentioned, there are laws to prevent tying one product or service
> to another, as IBM found out some years ago. Although normally restraint
> of trade
> issues are not rigidly dealt with anymore.

I think Magnusson Moss has to do in particular with
warranty issues (of which this could specifically apply)
while Sherman and Clayton address "tying" of the
purchase of one product to another.

I questioned the practice of forcing a person to buy
rental car insurance, in practice, to renting the car that
was common a couple of decades.. They didnt exactly
force you to buy the insurance BUT they would tell you
that if you brought the car backed with a scratch, a
nick in the mirror, or whatever they had the right to put
the entire cost of the car on your credit card. I guess
"the law" finally got close enough that this practice has
disappeared.

Old May 1st 11, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MG

> wrote in message
> Old TV commercial I used to see on TV, I don't remember what brand name
> of motor oil though.
>
> What kind of motor oil are you using, Earl?
> Earl says, Motor oil is motor oil!
> cuhulin

Several manufacturers have their own oil spec. My VW uses VW 502.00 oil or
warranty is voided. It's not unheard of. There are plenty of 502.00 oils
to choose from. If GM is using it, you can bet most oil makers will want to
have a product that meets the spec so they don't lose a big potential
market.