Recommendations for DIY alignment tools for Toyota with independentrear suspension?

Old May 11th 11, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
brassplyer

Default Recommendations for DIY alignment tools for Toyota with independentrear suspension?

Thought I'd give DIY driveway wheel alignment a try. Any
recommendations for brands/models of tools? At this time the specific
vehicle is an '89 Toyota Cressida.

Any tips, special considerations to be aware of with IRS?

Thanks
Old May 11th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"brassplyer" > wrote in message
> Thought I'd give DIY driveway wheel alignment a try. Any
> recommendations for brands/models of tools? At this time the specific
> vehicle is an '89 Toyota Cressida.
>
> Any tips, special considerations to be aware of with IRS?

IRS? What do they care?

Old May 11th 11, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Steve W.[_6_]

brassplyer wrote:
> Thought I'd give DIY driveway wheel alignment a try. Any
> recommendations for brands/models of tools? At this time the specific
> vehicle is an '89 Toyota Cressida.
>
> Any tips, special considerations to be aware of with IRS?
>
> Thanks

DON'T even try this one at home.
The IRS throws a HUGE wrench into the process and you need a machine to
even start the process.
Why? You need to know what the rear is set at and what the thrust angle
is to begin with. No real way to get those without a machine.

Then you need to adjust the rear thrust angle, caster, camber and get
them set, then you do the same on the front. Get it even a bit wrong and
you will throw the handling it the toilet and eat tires REAL fast.

What you need to find is a GOOD alignment shop with someone who actually
knows alignment. You don't want the guy who just moved over from oil
changes to be the guy on the machine.

--
Steve W.
Old May 11th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 10 May 2011 18:48:59 -0700, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "brassplyer" > wrote in message
>> Thought I'd give DIY driveway wheel alignment a try. Any recommendations
>> for brands/models of tools? At this time the specific vehicle is an '89
>> Toyota Cressida.
>>
>> Any tips, special considerations to be aware of with IRS?
>>

> IRS? What do they care?

They like to keep things straight...

Alignment recommendations for non-PAS NA? Zog The Undeniable Mazda 1 February 2nd 07 09:04 PM
CJ7 - ballpark alignment - DIY? [email protected] Jeep 19 October 22nd 06 06:19 PM
Checking toe-n and other DIY alignment issues Doc Technology 6 October 18th 06 04:43 PM
DIY alignment?? Ron VW water cooled 3 May 12th 05 02:13 AM
DIY alignment [email protected] Technology 5 January 11th 05 01:13 PM