Soliciting Opinions

Old May 13th 11, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Default Soliciting Opinions

hls wrote:
> I hate to mess with them, and wont unless there is no other choice. If
> you break a bolt trying to remove it with a wrench,
> the chance you can get an EZ out to remove it is intuitively
> pretty small.
>
> I understand there are some electromachining techniques that
> can get them or the bolt out without damaging anything but
> I have never used them nor seen them in use.

EDM appears very much like magic. It's sometimes the best
solution, just not cheap and seldom 'handy'.
http://www.wiretechedm.com/

For a broken flush hardened 3mm screw in a chromed part EDM
makes sense. For an exhaust flange bolt it's probably overkill.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old May 14th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

hls > wrote:
>Well, we will disagree a little on this.. WD-40 is not a
>great lubricant but it is often helpful, as in locks,
>etc. It doesnt last very long.

That's sort of my point. What good is a lubricant that doesn't last
very long? Especially when it leaves sticky varnish behind when it
evaporates?
--scott
Old May 14th 11, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/13/2011 07:45 AM, g wrote:
> On May 12, 4:28�pm, > wrote:
>> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
>> methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

> I sprayed over a number of days, a Broken bolt in an engine. Well
> after spending many hours using various bits, finally did the job
> working at odd angles around components on the engine. Was able to
> drill and rethread for a new stud. Spraying was useless. I forgot to
> mention I broke the easy out which Is very hard metal.
> This all was on the inner exaust manifold of my old 280z.
>
> Greg

take a trip to the store and either rent or buy an electric impact
wrench [if you don't want to go pneumatic]. i dislike the noise from
impacts and avoided them for years until is saw them effortlessly remove
rusted exhaust bolts that i was previously just shearing off. now i'm a
convert. and i haven't stripped or sheared an exhaust bolt since.

if you do shear and have to drill, try left-handed bits. 9/10 times,
the bolt shaft winds out with the drill action once you've got about
half way in. great tool tools to have for this job.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 14th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Some good tips on dealing with rusted bolts and stuff.
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...e+Rusted+Bolts
cuhulin

Lawtey, FL cop charged with soliciting bribes from speeders necromancer[_7_] Driving 7 June 2nd 10 05:22 AM
opinions? DougW[_2_] Jeep 5 April 27th 09 03:19 PM
opinions? DougW Jeep 8 December 27th 06 07:05 PM
your opinions? [email protected] Honda 13 October 23rd 06 06:06 PM
Need opinions ZRexRider Technology 8 January 7th 05 02:56 PM