Vibration/noise in clutch pedal when shifting

Old May 1st 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Default Vibration/noise in clutch pedal when shifting

I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru Impreza. 2.5L non-turbo, 197,000
miles (but it came with a stack of service records 3.5" thick)

However, it has a vibration in the clutch pedal when shifting. The
vibration can be felt, and sometimes heard as a 'buzzing' noise, and
it follows engine RPM during shifts. So I tried some stuff:

When sitting still in neutral, there is no vibration when I push in
the clutch, regardless of engine RPM.

When coasting in neutral, no vibration.

When driving down the road under power, no vibration.

Seems to only happen during shifts while getting the car up to speed.
It's strangely better some days than others. I've had a few manual
transmission cars in the past and never experienced this with them.

I'm guessing (or at least hoping) it is a throwout bearing. Is there
any test I can use to isolate this from say, transmission input shaft
bearing, transmission mainshaft bearings, or loose/damaged flywheel
without pulling the transmission?

Thanks.
Old May 1st 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:20:51 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru Impreza. 2.5L non-turbo, 197,000
>miles (but it came with a stack of service records 3.5" thick)
>
>However, it has a vibration in the clutch pedal when shifting. The
>vibration can be felt, and sometimes heard as a 'buzzing' noise, and
>it follows engine RPM during shifts. So I tried some stuff:
>
>When sitting still in neutral, there is no vibration when I push in
>the clutch, regardless of engine RPM.
>
>When coasting in neutral, no vibration.
>
>When driving down the road under power, no vibration.
>
>Seems to only happen during shifts while getting the car up to speed.
>It's strangely better some days than others. I've had a few manual
>transmission cars in the past and never experienced this with them.
>
>I'm guessing (or at least hoping) it is a throwout bearing. Is there
>any test I can use to isolate this from say, transmission input shaft
>bearing, transmission mainshaft bearings, or loose/damaged flywheel
>without pulling the transmission?
>
>Thanks.

You eliminated the throwout bearing. You hear those even in neutral.
Probably just needs a new clutch and clutch plate.
Always replace the throwout bearing too.
When I drove sticks those weren't expensive parts or hard to do.

--Vic
Old May 6th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

On Apr 30, 8:47*pm, Vic Smith > wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:20:51 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
>

> > wrote:
> >I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru Impreza. *2.5L non-turbo, 197,000
> >miles (but it came with a stack of service records 3.5" thick)

> >However, it has a vibration in the clutch pedal when shifting. *The
> >vibration can be felt, and sometimes heard as a 'buzzing' noise, and
> >it follows engine RPM during shifts. *So I tried some stuff:

> >When sitting still in neutral, there is no vibration when I push in
> >the clutch, regardless of engine RPM.

> >When coasting in neutral, no vibration.

> >When driving down the road under power, no vibration.

> >Seems to only happen during shifts while getting the car up to speed.
> >It's strangely better some days than others. *I've had a few manual
> >transmission cars in the past and never experienced this with them.

> >I'm guessing (or at least hoping) it is a throwout bearing. *Is there
> >any test I can use to isolate this from say, transmission input shaft
> >bearing, transmission mainshaft bearings, or loose/damaged flywheel
> >without pulling the transmission?

> >Thanks.

> You eliminated the throwout bearing. *You hear those even in neutral.
> Probably just needs a new clutch and clutch plate.
> Always replace the throwout bearing too.
> When I drove sticks those weren't expensive parts or hard to do.
>
> --Vic- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Vic,

If I do anything to the clutch, I'll replace the whole thing. I'm
fine with putting in a clutch kit. I just want to know if there's a
test to differentiate clutch from transmission before I pull the
transmission.

-J
Old May 6th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Thu, 5 May 2011 16:47:36 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>If I do anything to the clutch, I'll replace the whole thing. I'm
>fine with putting in a clutch kit. I just want to know if there's a
>test to differentiate clutch from transmission before I pull the
>transmission.

The only time I got such a vibration it was a bad pressure plate
assembly. A new one too, that I hosed putting the engine back in one
of my Bugs. Don't put your engine jack in sand (-:
Same deal, vibration/shuddering when clutching in gear.
I would expect a bad trans shaft would give vibration most the time,
and hose the shaft seal so you'd see a leak.
I suspect a loose flywheel would raise a racket or clunk.
I put a new flywheel on my F-100 because it had surface cracks, and
never had the flywheels on my Bugs faced since they looked good.
Good luck.

--Vic

Shifting without the clutch? Gyuri Driving 24 August 12th 07 09:23 AM
No Clutch Shifting? [email protected] Driving 28 November 12th 05 12:24 AM
Clutch pedal vibration Norm Honda 0 November 28th 04 02:06 PM
CLUTCH PEDAL ?? nrutas Saturn 3 November 22nd 04 12:54 PM
E39 523 Clutch pedal vibration Thomas Steen Petersen BMW 3 November 7th 04 09:17 AM