Soliciting Opinions

Old May 12th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Adrian[_3_]

Default Soliciting Opinions

I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

Old May 12th 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 12, 4:28*pm, "Adrian" > wrote:
> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
> methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

I've got a few...

1) penetrating oil. WD-40 ain't ****. Use a GOOD penetrating oil
like PB Blast'r, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

2) heat. If you don't have anything in the area, pretty much nothing
beats getting it hot with an oxyacetylene torch. Oxy-MAPP works too
if you don't have a properly equipped workshop. Plain MAPP or propane
is worth a try if nothing else is handy. Also, melting some candle
wax (from a cheap, non-dripless candle) into the threads is
surprisingly helpful. Also if you heat up a nut and then slap an ice
cube on the stud to shock it that can help too.

3) Don't even try to use a 12-point box wrench or socket. 6-point
tools only.

4) if there's a long threaded stud or bolt that the nut has to thread
off of, it can be helpful to run a die over them and/or wire brush
them clean before starting, so once you have the nut busted loose
you're not having to force it over rusted threads. If you use a die,
after you run it on once, flip it over and run it right up to the nut
with the non-tapered side facing the nut.

5) when all else fails, use a nut splitter and/or consider the bolt
sacrificial and cut the whole mess off and replace hardware.

6) when reassembling, use anti-sleaze paste on everything. Every
time. The next owner will thank you.

nate
Old May 13th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On May 12, 4:28*pm, "Adrian" > wrote:
> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
> methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

I often use an angle grinder.....

Greg
Old May 13th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On May 12, 5:10*pm, N8N > wrote:
> On May 12, 4:28*pm, "Adrian" > wrote:
>
> > I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
> > methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

> I've got a few...
>
> 1) penetrating oil. *WD-40 ain't ****. *Use a GOOD penetrating oil
> like PB Blast'r, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.
>
> 2) heat. *If you don't have anything in the area, pretty much nothing
> beats getting it hot with an oxyacetylene torch. *Oxy-MAPP works too
> if you don't have a properly equipped workshop. *Plain MAPP or propane
> is worth a try if nothing else is handy. *Also, melting some candle
> wax (from a cheap, non-dripless candle) into the threads is
> surprisingly helpful. *Also if you heat up a nut and then slap an ice
> cube on the stud to shock it that can help too.
>
> 3) Don't even try to use a 12-point box wrench or socket. *6-point
> tools only.
>
> 4) if there's a long threaded stud or bolt that the nut has to thread
> off of, it can be helpful to run a die over them and/or wire brush
> them clean before starting, so once you have the nut busted loose
> you're not having to force it over rusted threads. *If you use a die,
> after you run it on once, flip it over and run it right up to the nut
> with the non-tapered side facing the nut.
>
> 5) when all else fails, use a nut splitter and/or consider the bolt
> sacrificial and cut the whole mess off and replace hardware.
>
> 6) when reassembling, use anti-sleaze paste on everything. *Every
> time. *The next owner will thank you.
>
> nate

Pb blaster is said to penetrate, but I would have to run a test on
what dissolves rust best

Greg
Old May 13th 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"Adrian" > wrote in :

> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
> methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

350# impact wrench. Heat. Drill. In that order.

I've found that penetrating oils are just about useless.

--
Tegger
Old May 13th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"g" > wrote in message news:c7f0cfd4-Pb blaster is said to
penetrate, but I would have to run a test on
what dissolves rust best

Greg

***
I dont think any of them "dissolve" rust very well but some
of them probably disperse the rust deposits better than other.

WD-40 is a decent lubricant but it really isnt a rust dispersant.

There are a number of penetrating oils at the FLAPS that
will work. Spray them on, wait, heat, and the apply reasonable torque.. If
it doesnt come off easily, then retreat
and go easy.

You dont need to break off a stud. or ruin threads.

Old May 13th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Adrian" > wrote in news:iqhfsd$9h4> 350# impact wrench.
> Heat. Drill. In that order.
>
> I've found that penetrating oils are just about useless.
>
> --
> Tegger

I disagree. A good penetrating oil can help a lot. Heat
helps but you dont want to force it.

I have partially cut through a nut with a Dremel or with a
drill bit, and then heat, penetrating oil, etc. Seldom will
you find a situation that wont respond.

But if you get gorilla fisted, you can cause yourself a ton
of problems.

Old May 13th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-05-13, Tegger > wrote:
> "Adrian" > wrote in :
>
>> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
>> methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.
>>

> 350# impact wrench. Heat. Drill. In that order.
>
> I've found that penetrating oils are just about useless.

WD40 and liquid wrench are useless. PB blaster works.

Old May 13th 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 12 May 2011 15:28:00 -0500, Adrian wrote:

> I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true methods,
> for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...7&c at=C&trk=

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/h...lubricant.aspx

beats anything I have ever tried before. Spray the stuck part, and in as
little as 15 minutes you'll be able to remove it. I have only had it not
work once, and NOTHING has worked on that item!

I sprayed all the bolts under the hood on my '95 Tercel, and the next day
they looked brand new. I use this anywhere a penetrating oil or lubricant
can be used. It is great stuff, available for $9-12 at GM dealers. The
ONLY thing I get from GM (other then LS lubricant...)

Old May 13th 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 12 May 2011 17:13:58 -0700, g wrote:

> On May 12, 5:10Â*pm, N8N > wrote:
>> On May 12, 4:28Â*pm, "Adrian" > wrote:
>>
>> > I'd like to hear others opinions on techniques, or tried and true
>> > methods, for removing nuts from rusted/corroded bolts/studs.

>> I've got a few...
>>
>> 1) penetrating oil. Â*WD-40 ain't ****. Â*Use a GOOD penetrating oil
>> like PB Blast'r, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.
>>
>> 2) heat. Â*If you don't have anything in the area, pretty much nothing
>> beats getting it hot with an oxyacetylene torch. Â*Oxy-MAPP works too if
>> you don't have a properly equipped workshop. Â*Plain MAPP or propane is
>> worth a try if nothing else is handy. Â*Also, melting some candle wax
>> (from a cheap, non-dripless candle) into the threads is surprisingly
>> helpful. Â*Also if you heat up a nut and then slap an ice cube on the
>> stud to shock it that can help too.
>>
>> 3) Don't even try to use a 12-point box wrench or socket. Â*6-point
>> tools only.
>>
>> 4) if there's a long threaded stud or bolt that the nut has to thread
>> off of, it can be helpful to run a die over them and/or wire brush them
>> clean before starting, so once you have the nut busted loose you're not
>> having to force it over rusted threads. Â*If you use a die, after you
>> run it on once, flip it over and run it right up to the nut with the
>> non-tapered side facing the nut.
>>
>> 5) when all else fails, use a nut splitter and/or consider the bolt
>> sacrificial and cut the whole mess off and replace hardware.
>>
>> 6) when reassembling, use anti-sleaze paste on everything. Â*Every time.
>> Â*The next owner will thank you.
>>
>> nate

> Pb blaster is said to penetrate, but I would have to run a test on what
> dissolves rust best
>
> Greg

See my post. It WORKS!

Lawtey, FL cop charged with soliciting bribes from speeders necromancer[_7_] Driving 7 June 2nd 10 05:22 AM
opinions? DougW[_2_] Jeep 5 April 27th 09 03:19 PM
opinions? DougW Jeep 8 December 27th 06 07:05 PM
your opinions? [email protected] Honda 13 October 23rd 06 06:06 PM
Need opinions ZRexRider Technology 8 January 7th 05 02:56 PM