I know someone has the fix for this. A/C draining issue with TJs.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:45 AM
Eric

Default I know someone has the fix for this. A/C draining issue with TJs.

Ok, so I found a small lake on the passenger side of my TJ (1999, 2.5L, the
rest of the info doesn't matter...) yesterday. Assumed it had something to
do with the rain. Pulled the carpets, and left them out to dry. Drove up
to the lake today (no rain) and managed to develop another small lake in my
TJ. Definitely not a rain issue... turns out it is the A/C.

Found some stuff online -- part of it makes sense. There's a drain tube for
the AC. Runs from inside to outside. Problem is, the outside part is
barely outside and allows the water to run back in. Fix: $2 worth of hose
and a clamp. In theory...

Bought the hose and clamp, but noticed something when I got home. Just
sitting there, I could watch the water run from the firewall to the
floorboard. I know exactly where the leak is, but can't get to it. Seems
like the area under the dash is all one big piece, and the plastic goes
right up to the firewall. Actually, there's a piece of foam between the
plastic and the firewall, and that's where the water is dripping. What
makes things worse is I have an aftermarket A/C system -- don't know if
there's going to be any differences from the stock setup. I've had it for
two years without leaking issues. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old July 23rd 05, 03:09 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eric,
The condensed water that freezes on your air conditioner condenser
and later melts off when you turn it off, drains out of a whoopee
cushion like flapper valve that sticks shut with mill dew. just reach up
under the battery to the firewall and squeeze it and it should **** all
over the place.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
Eric

Bill,

I checked that drain -- it's a hard hose. Seems like it's made out of
plastic rather than rubber. Can't squeeze it at all. I read somewhere to
gently put a screwdrive in there to see if there was any blockage, so I used
a clothes hanger yesterday -- nothing. Actually didn't even feel like there
was anything on the other side of the firewall. Almost as if the other end
had nothing attached (I could wiggle the hanger around freely). Water seems
to be coming out around the seal (on the engine side of the firewall) rather
than the hose/tube itself. That leads me to believe something somehow got
disonnected on the other side of the tube.

Any thoughts? Do you have links to what the setup is supposed to look like
or how to take it apart?? Thanks!

Eric

Old July 23rd 05, 03:19 PM
tim bur

you can buy a product known as butryl tape for installing rear windowes in truck
and stuff
it works quite well for sealing up water leaks i use it for installing sunroofs

Old July 23rd 05, 06:04 PM
Billy Ray

If it is connected you can blow it out with your air compressor, it works
95% of the time with Fords

I have that hard rubbel/plastic pipe on my 02 GC

>>> 99 TJ SE

Old July 23rd 05, 07:08 PM
Eric

But what happens to what is attached on the other side? I'm only blowing
whatever is in there back into the inside. Seems like a bandaid more than a
fix...

I've considered the sealant option, but then where's the water going to go?
It'll just build up until there's a lake IN the dash or it can overflow
somewhere. Certainly not outside of the cab...

Eric

Old July 25th 05, 01:34 AM
Eric

The hose and clamp method worked. I really don't know why, but it did. Did
a few mintues on the trails today, lots of highway driving, and no interior
leaks. Odd....

Eric