2004 BMW 525i- why windows fog? have it set automatic- w/refresh air

Old December 21st 04, 09:23 PM
KOS

Default 2004 BMW 525i- why windows fog? have it set automatic- w/refresh air

Hi, I just bought a brand new 2004 BMW 525i- the car runs perfectly -
however, the other night, while driving, (it was not raining) when I
started the car up and began to drive, the drivers side window and the
rear passenger side window began to fog up, also the back window. I
have the climate control set to 72 degrees and it is in the automatic
mode. (I am located in New England) I remember reading somewhere in the
BMW literature that it stated that if you have it set to automatic, the
windows would most likely never fog up. If I have the climate control
set to automatic, should the window fog up? please advise- being that
the car runs in the 50$$K range, I figured that foggy windows would be
solved. Also, I realize that if the windows do fog up I can hit the
blower- that does solve the problem on a temporary basis, when I shut
it off, its foggy.

KOS

Old December 21st 04, 10:26 PM
fbloogyudsr

"KOS" > wrote
> Hi, I just bought a brand new 2004 BMW 525i- the car runs perfectly -
> however, the other night, while driving, (it was not raining) when I
> started the car up and began to drive, the drivers side window and the
> rear passenger side window began to fog up, also the back window. I
> have the climate control set to 72 degrees and it is in the automatic
> mode. (I am located in New England) I remember reading somewhere in the
> BMW literature that it stated that if you have it set to automatic, the
> windows would most likely never fog up. If I have the climate control
> set to automatic, should the window fog up? please advise- being that
> the car runs in the 50$$K range, I figured that foggy windows would be
> solved. Also, I realize that if the windows do fog up I can hit the
> blower- that does solve the problem on a temporary basis, when I shut
> it off, its foggy.

If it was a cold night (or day FTM), say below 40 F, the a/c doesn't
really work to defog windows due to two facts: 1) it won't de-humidify
the air because it can't get cold enough (below 40), and 2) it often
goes into re-circulation mode if the engine and cabin are too cold to
effectively heat outside air.

No car's HVAC can do any better. However, I advise cracking the sunroof
or window to help exhaust humid air, not using automatic mode, manually
selecting exterior air, and using the defrost mode, which runs the fan at
high speed.

Floyd
Old December 21st 04, 10:52 PM
Jeff Strickland

Switch the AC on to get rid of fog on the inside of the windows.

Do NOT blame the weather on your car. You paid extra for a car with no leaks
and wind whistles. Your hot breath mixed with moist, cold air will cause fog
to form on the inside of the window. Set the Temp controls for 72, or
wherever you like, and switch the AC on. The AC will dry the air, and the
fog on the windows will go away.

ups.com...

Old December 22nd 04, 04:31 PM
KOS

-
> > however, the other night, while driving, (it was not raining) when

> > started the car up and began to drive, the drivers side window and

the
> > rear passenger side window began to fog up, also the back window. I
> > have the climate control set to 72 degrees and it is in the

automatic
> > mode. (I am located in New England) I remember reading somewhere in

the
> > BMW literature that it stated that if you have it set to automatic,

the
> > windows would most likely never fog up. If I have the climate

control
> > set to automatic, should the window fog up? please advise- being

that
> > the car runs in the 50$$K range, I figured that foggy windows would

be
> > solved. Also, I realize that if the windows do fog up I can hit the
> > blower- that does solve the problem on a temporary basis, when I

shut
> > it off, its foggy.
> >
> > KOS

With the 2004 BMW 525i- when you have the climate control set to
automatic, it automatically turns the AC on and off- so, to your point
of turning on the AC, it goes on automatically in that particular
mode.- It senses humidity- the manual states that in the auto mode- the
car will not fog due to the fact that the ac kicks on automatically

Old December 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
Jeff Strickland

"KOS" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> > Switch the AC on to get rid of fog on the inside of the windows.
> >
> > Do NOT blame the weather on your car. You paid extra for a car with

> no leaks
> > and wind whistles. Your hot breath mixed with moist, cold air will

> cause fog
> > to form on the inside of the window. Set the Temp controls for 72, or
> > wherever you like, and switch the AC on. The AC will dry the air, and

> the
> > fog on the windows will go away.
> >

> > "KOS" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > Hi, I just bought a brand new 2004 BMW 525i- the car runs perfectly

> -
> > > however, the other night, while driving, (it was not raining) when

> > > started the car up and began to drive, the drivers side window and

> the
> > > rear passenger side window began to fog up, also the back window. I
> > > have the climate control set to 72 degrees and it is in the

> automatic
> > > mode. (I am located in New England) I remember reading somewhere in

> the
> > > BMW literature that it stated that if you have it set to automatic,

> the
> > > windows would most likely never fog up. If I have the climate

> control
> > > set to automatic, should the window fog up? please advise- being

> that
> > > the car runs in the 50$$K range, I figured that foggy windows would

> be
> > > solved. Also, I realize that if the windows do fog up I can hit the
> > > blower- that does solve the problem on a temporary basis, when I

> shut
> > > it off, its foggy.
> > >
> > > KOS
> > >

> With the 2004 BMW 525i- when you have the climate control set to
> automatic, it automatically turns the AC on and off- so, to your point
> of turning on the AC, it goes on automatically in that particular
> mode.- It senses humidity- the manual states that in the auto mode- the
> car will not fog due to the fact that the ac kicks on automatically

But you said that the windows fog up in the Auto mode. This means you need
to set the controls manually when you first get in the car. My experience
has been that you may need to set the controls manually for the first 20
minutes or so, then you can set them back to auto.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:57 PM
John Carrier

A lot of US cars will automatically turn AC on when defrost is selected.
This is specifically intended to dry the air prior to heating it to help
with defog. Even if your bimmer is smart enough to turn on AC for
temperature control (my E39 isn't ... it's surprisingly unsophisticated for
a $40-50K car), it probably isn't when temps are low, inside humidity high
and there is no apparent need to turn the compressor on. SO ... manually
select the AC while in the defrost mode and you'll rapidly clear your
windows of fog.

R / John

ups.com...

Old December 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
Jeff Strickland

"John Carrier" > wrote in message
> A lot of US cars will automatically turn AC on when defrost is selected.
> This is specifically intended to dry the air prior to heating it to help
> with defog. Even if your bimmer is smart enough to turn on AC for
> temperature control (my E39 isn't ... it's surprisingly unsophisticated

for
> a $40-50K car), it probably isn't when temps are low, inside humidity high
> and there is no apparent need to turn the compressor on. SO ... manually
> select the AC while in the defrost mode and you'll rapidly clear your
> windows of fog.

Often times, you might want to direct airflow onto the windshield, Defrost,
but not want the AC to blow. For example, some drivers like air to flow
through the cabin, but do not like it in their face as happens through the
Vent ducts in the dashboard; these drivers might want to select the control
that sends air onto the windshield, and not condition the air in any way.

Giving you the option of running the AC or not should not be considered a
sign of unsophistication. Indeed, assuming you want the AC on simply because
you have decided to direct airflow onto the windshield is rather
unsophisticated, if you ask me.

Old December 22nd 04, 11:24 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

That would be surprising in a BMW. In my
other-premium-German-brand-car-with-three-pointed-star-on-the-bonnet the
automatic climate controls blows up a gale when first starting up on cold,
no doubt to clear any fog that forms as soon as steamy old me gets into the
car.

DAS
---

[...]