1991 GT Convertible question

Old October 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Side3

Default 1991 GT Convertible question

The 'dome lights' (I guess that is what you would call the lights
built into the rearvew mirror) will not turn off. I had someone tell me
that the problem might be a stuck relay...which alos makes it so my
alarm will not arm. My question is, is this plausible? Would a a stuck
relay make the lights stay on all the time? Where would this relay be
located?

I have disconnected the lights for now.

Thanks,

Rico

Old October 4th 05, 07:01 PM
Gill

Side3 wrote:
> The 'dome lights' (I guess that is what you would call the lights
> built into the rearvew mirror) will not turn off. I had someone tell me
> that the problem might be a stuck relay...which alos makes it so my
> alarm will not arm. My question is, is this plausible? Would a a stuck
> relay make the lights stay on all the time? Where would this relay be
> located?
>
> I have disconnected the lights for now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rico

My Fords dome lights come on when I lift the door handles half ways so
they have a switch connected to the handle.
My 97 Ranger had a problem with the dome light not turning off and I
sprayed WD40 in the latch area where the striker hits. Problem gone.
I also don't know what year Ford started putting these switches in Mustangs.

--
Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
With Bits and Pieces
Old October 5th 05, 01:15 AM
JohnV@nn

Make sure the dimmer dial on the dash isn't all the way over. It has a
"dome on" position that you feel with a little click.

John

Old October 6th 05, 03:14 AM

Gill wrote:

> Side3 wrote:
>
>> The 'dome lights' (I guess that is what you would call the lights
>> built into the rearvew mirror) will not turn off. I had someone tell me
>> that the problem might be a stuck relay...which alos makes it so my
>> alarm will not arm. My question is, is this plausible? Would a a stuck
>> relay make the lights stay on all the time? Where would this relay be
>> located?
>>
>> I have disconnected the lights for now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rico
>>

> My Fords dome lights come on when I lift the door handles half ways so
> they have a switch connected to the handle.
> My 97 Ranger had a problem with the dome light not turning off and I
> sprayed WD40 in the latch area where the striker hits. Problem gone.
> I also don't know what year Ford started putting these switches in
> Mustangs.

My '79 had a plunger actuated door sensor that was not part of the
lock/catch mechanism.
Old October 8th 05, 09:32 PM
Side3

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea! John had the winning
answer..the dimmer switch was the culprit. I now can not only use my
'dome' lights, but my alarm now sets.

Thanks again,

Rico

JohnV@nn wrote:
> Make sure the dimmer dial on the dash isn't all the way over. It has a
> "dome on" position that you feel with a little click.
>
> John

1991 lebaron convertible ABA CPM Chrysler 1 September 26th 05 11:36 PM
1991 325i test drive question Delboy BMW 7 March 9th 05 04:29 PM
1991 Dodge Shadow Convertible Jeannie Chrysler 4 January 23rd 05 10:27 PM
1991 4runner 4WD question thom 4x4 1 December 30th 04 02:22 AM
FS: 1991 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 Supercharged 416 Horsepower Ford Mustang 0 November 19th 04 10:33 PM