MFFY du jour...

Old March 13th 05, 08:11 PM
Paul

On 13 Mar 2005 07:03:46 -0800, Harry K , one of an infinite number of
monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> Just curious here. Since cops can't enforce traffic stuff on private
> property, how can they (I know they do) enforce DP parking??

Maybe the property owner (or his representative) gives them authorization
in advance or calls when he observes a violation on the property?
Old March 13th 05, 09:18 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Harry K" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>> In my case you will find my parking in DP slots quite often. Looking
>>> at me you couldn't tell that anything was wrong. You would be correct,
>>> there isn't. I park in DP spots because my wife is disabled and I am
>>> taking her there or picking her up.

>>That being the case, Harry, if you're driving your wife there and picking
>>her up, couldn't you just drop her at the door and then park in a regular
>>spot? Those spots are for people who are driving themselves and can't
>>handle long walks.

> That's not what the rules say, Skippy. As long as there is a
> handicapped person riding in the vehicle, the driver is entitled to
> parlk there, whether he himself is handicapped or not. This is to
> accommodate handicapped people who cannot drive themselves at all.

How many aliases do you have?

> Besides, I would much rather have the gimps spend 20 minutes getting
> into/out of their cars in an out-of-the-way parking spot than to block
> the main traffic aisle for 20 minutes because the driver took your
> advice.

I take it you don't have any handicap friends or family; at least none with
whom you've shared this view. And I never suggested blocking a traffic
aisle. Designated parking spots don't block any aisles. You just made that
part up.

Old March 13th 05, 09:47 PM
Arif Khokar

Big Bill wrote:

> Also no medical knowledge.
> But don't let that stop you.

Would the reason you're alluding to have anything to do with
claudication? If so, a periphral vascular bypass operation should solve
that problem.
Old March 13th 05, 10:21 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
>> ink.net:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...

> brake,

> the

> if I

> no

> city

> (and

> the
>> >
>> > I would have spoken louder: "Hey man--you have the whole parking

> lot
>> > for a spot and not only do you take a handicap spot but you almost

> hit
>> > my car squeezing in next to it. If my car is damaged at all

> because
>> > of your poor skills, you'll pay for it--and your insurance carrier
>> > won't. In fact, I'm writing down your plate # and make/model in

> case
>> > you try a little hit and run action."
>> >
>> > People like this deserve attention for their stupidity and
>> > thoughtlessness.
>> >

>> I'd -tell him- I was calling the police.
>> They might appreciate the extra revenue from a 'parking in

> handicapped
>> zone' ticket.
>>
>> I'd even wait to see it happen. B-)
>>
>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik
>> at
>> kua.net

> Just curious here. Since cops can't enforce traffic stuff on private
> property, how can they (I know they do) enforce DP parking??
>
> Harry K

In Florida,private property owners like apartment complexes sign some
agreement to allow police to enforce traffic and parking laws on their
property.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 13th 05, 10:30 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Harry K" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>That being the case, Harry, if you're driving your wife there and
>>>picking her up, couldn't you just drop her at the door and then park
>>>in a regular spot? Those spots are for people who are driving
>>>themselves and can't handle long walks.

>> That's not what the rules say, Skippy. As long as there is a
>> handicapped person riding in the vehicle, the driver is entitled to
>> parlk there, whether he himself is handicapped or not. This is to
>> accommodate handicapped people who cannot drive themselves at all.

> How many aliases do you have?
>
>> Besides, I would much rather have the gimps spend 20 minutes getting
>> into/out of their cars in an out-of-the-way parking spot than to
>> block the main traffic aisle for 20 minutes because the driver took
>> your advice.

> I take it you don't have any handicap friends or family; at least none
> with whom you've shared this view. And I never suggested blocking a
> traffic aisle. Designated parking spots don't block any aisles. You
> just made that part up.

If you are "dropping her off *at the door*",then you would be in the fire
lane,the road that runs in front of the businesses,and certainly blocking
it (blocking the aisle) while you load/unload people.

Your words;"That being the case, Harry, if you're driving your wife there

Old March 13th 05, 10:52 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote
> "Harry K" > wrote
>> In my case you will find my parking in DP slots quite often. Looking
>> at me you couldn't tell that anything was wrong. You would be correct,
>> there isn't. I park in DP spots because my wife is disabled and I am
>> taking her there or picking her up.

> That being the case, Harry, if you're driving your wife there and picking
> her up, couldn't you just drop her at the door and then park in a regular
> spot? Those spots are for people who are driving themselves and can't
> handle long walks.

My mother is one of these people; she can only walk about 100' w/o
stopping to ensure her heart-rate doesn't get too high. She doesn't
like to drive to downtown (Seattle), so I (or my sister) take her there.
Guess what, best place to park is in the garage next to the elevator
in the HC spot. The sidewalk means walking more than 100', and
up stairs and on a tilted sidewalk.

Floyd

Old March 13th 05, 11:12 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:47:50 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>
>> Also no medical knowledge.
>> But don't let that stop you.

>Would the reason you're alluding to have anything to do with
>claudication? If so, a periphral vascular bypass operation should solve
>that problem.

You and Daniel are showing a problem in your attitudes and knowledge.
It's not up to you to make any judgements in the use of handicapped
plates/plackards, or offer medical advice. That's a verifiable fact.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 13th 05, 11:12 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:54:03 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:22:14 -0700, Big Bill > wrote:
>
>>>No matter, people like him (and me) do have good cause to call the cops
>>>and let you explain it to them. Because nearly all people who look
>>>like they're abusing their handicap plates, ARE.

>>And you are in the position to make that judgement because... ?
>>As I said, unless you are a doctor (and, obviously, the person you're
>>judging is your patient), you're just letting your observations guide
>>your judgements.
>>And in such cases, your observations don't count for anything.

>You sound just like Jaybird.

So? Am I wrong or right?
Hint: I'm right.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 13th 05, 11:15 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Harry K" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> In my case you will find my parking in DP slots quite often. Looking
>> at me you couldn't tell that anything was wrong. You would be correct,
>> there isn't. I park in DP spots because my wife is disabled and I am
>> taking her there or picking her up.

>That being the case, Harry, if you're driving your wife there and picking
>her up, couldn't you just drop her at the door and then park in a regular
>spot? Those spots are for people who are driving themselves and can't
>handle long walks.

No they aren't. They are for vehicles showing the plate or plackard.
If you genuinely think there's abuse happening, you are free to call
the police.

>Not criticizing, just curious and asking. I see people who are able-bodied
>and driving a car with handicap plates or placards, but they don't need them
>themselves; they just think because the placard or plate is there they have
>a right to the spot. I'm not saying you're one of those people, mind you.
>That description would fit the OP's post.

Why do you think they are able-bodied? Are you familiar with whatever
condition they might have?
Or do you just think so?
Well, you're free to call the police if you do. But be awa if you
call too often and display your ignorance while doing so, they might
just start ignoring you when you call, or even cite you for false
reporting.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 13th 05, 11:41 PM
John David Galt

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Big Bill wrote:
>
>> Also no medical knowledge.
>> But don't let that stop you.

> Would the reason you're alluding to have anything to do with
> claudication? If so, a periphral vascular bypass operation should solve
> that problem.

My diagnosis is that he needs a cranial rectal extraction.

MFFY Du Jour Mike Z. Helm Driving 51 April 10th 05 08:30 PM
I Hope That MFFY Peed His Pants Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 10 February 11th 05 05:25 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 01:10 AM