Tranny problems? Woman, help appreciated

Old April 15th 04, 12:32 AM
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Default Tranny problems? Woman, help appreciated

If it didn't move and the brakes didn't lock, this whine noise sounds like
the rear end or trans. At minimum I would pull the trans pan and check for
"stuff" in the screen and pan, this noise and clunk could also be the rear
differental, or even the transfer case. Some one is going to have to spend
some time to thoroughly diagnose this, leaks in the diff. will not cause
this.

Old April 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Eugene

Stacey ) wrote:

> "David J and Lynne J Shepherd" > kindly wrote:
>
>> If it didn't move and the brakes didn't lock,

> all true...
>
>> this whine noise sounds like
>> the rear end or trans. At minimum I would pull the trans pan and check
>> for
>> "stuff" in the screen and pan, this noise and clunk could also be the
>> rear differental, or even the transfer case. Some one is going to have to
>> spend some time to thoroughly diagnose this, leaks in the diff. will not
>> cause this.

> Turns out when they were preparing to slide the rear axle back in
> after replacing the bearings and seals, they wiped the inside of the
> axle's opening with a shop rag and came out with fine silver on the
> rag, so they called me and my Dad down to see. They had pulled the
> plug on the diff (the one that's maganetized) and it was dirty with
> tiny "chunks" of dirty silver which we looked at. The drained diff oil
> did not feel anything close to 90 weight to any of us (way too thin),
> but the guy said if it was synthetic oil it might be 90, but he
> doubted it. Said the whine usually does not stop if it's the diff, but
> that if it's just going in the very beginning, it could start and
> stop, so that's probably what I heard a few weeks ago. Also said when
> they put the new oil in, it may whine right away, or it may go for
> awhile without problems, but that the rear was definitely on its way
> out with all that silver and nothing was gonna stop it. Also said this
> has nothing to do with the clunk or trans, and that that could run
> $2400 on a 4x4.
>
> We were going to have him pull the pan on the trans to check for
> debris, but after finding the rear needs to be rebuilt, there didn't
> seem to be a point. A rebuilt rear, news seals and bearings, and a
> rebuilt trans is more than I can handle. I'm sick. I love this truck.
> It's beautiful. `````
>
> Thanks for your help. I appreciated it.
>
> Stacey

Differentials don't break often and are not nearly as complex as a
transmission. I'd go to the junk yard and find a low milage wrecked truck
or car with the same differential and swap it.
Old April 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Eugene

Old April 15th 04, 09:03 AM
April Ann

I can't answer your questions, but I do know you've just set the woman's
movement back 40 years.

Why would you put something like that in your header??

*Catch you on the flipside*
You probably shouldn't claim to be perfect in every way unless you
really are.

Old April 15th 04, 07:19 PM
George

Stacey, you were far too easy on her. She had nothing constructive to say.
My thoughts on April Ann's "woman's movement" is about equal to a bowel
movement. The are women that are nuclear scientists, but that doesn't mean
they know anything about transmissions. You came to the right place and you
asked the right questions. You don't have to justify your mechanical
abilities to a feminist that's only here to cause problems. Just my .02. .
.. .
..

Old April 15th 04, 07:19 PM
George

Old April 16th 04, 12:22 AM

in rec.autos.4x4,
Stacey ) wrote:
>Eugene > kindly wrote:
>
>> Differentials don't break often and are not nearly as complex as a
>> transmission. I'd go to the junk yard and find a low milage wrecked truck
>> or car with the same differential and swap it.

>Thanks, but it was regeared (by a previous owner) due to the larger
>tires that were put on it, so I don't think a swap will do me any
>good.

A thought.... It is possible that the problem was the diff all the way
along, have you pulled out the 3rd member yet and see what the ring and
pinion in the diff look like? That should be your first step. Chances
are good that if when it was put in, and it was setup wrong, something as
bad
as a tooth could have broken and gotten stuck in the gears. That would
have definatly caused you not to move, but with enough preasure could have
broken it, causing you to go forward.
I had this happen to a friend of mine. Something to look at, get the rear
end fixed up first, chances are you are looking at bearings and a new
ring/pinion at least, a rear end from a junk yard, and get the correct
grears installed by a profesional, goto a reputable transmission shop, not
your every-day mechanic. It's possible that there have been metal flakes
in there for a while, that is what could have caused your seals to wear
out.

~Brian